How many people check the build date on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
build date is 11-03
ordered in 07-03
delivered 12-03

agree with the post about the sheets staying on the car, I showed up at the dealer the day after my G arrived. was parked by itself and still completely wrapped up. I walked around and inspected the entire. it was detailed that day and I took delivery the next morning

Last edited by LivyathanZero; 03-06-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:58 AM
JBX,

I agree. Why not use the build date as negotiating leverage if you can. 3-5 months of little use for batteries, belts, etc... is not a big problem at all. Dealers want to turn over their stock as often as possible. If you are concerned about a dent that occured during shipping or something - ASK! I would expect an honest answer (form the manager at least )

Old 03-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info, JustBrilliantX. Nice to hear a voice of reason amidst the disinformation rampant on car forums.

My '05 Sedan/5AT/Premium lists a build date of 10/04, but a final inspection sticker in the window of 12/04 and I bought it at Infiniti of Nashville on February 19. The little inspection sheet that was in the glove box said it had 5 miles on it after the factory test drive. It has 46 miles on it when I took it for my first test drive and it had about 58 on it when I finished my test drive. That means that it probably had about three prior test drives through the same general route that I took before I bought it. Big deal. The 60,000 mile complete warranty and 70,000 mile powertrain warranties both begin when the car is first sold to a retail buyer.

Old 03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Thank God for truly informed, knowledgable, "experts" like JustbrilliantX. People come to sites like this not because they are "experts" but because they want to learn from the ones who are.

"6 extra months for belts, battery, and hoses to deteriorate and gas to go bad" LOL These are CARS!!! Mine has only been driven 60 miles this winter. Now I've got bad gas and rotting hoses!

Mark

Old 03-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Time to trade huh? LOL, take care (and take a drive ) Spring's right around the corner! JBX

Old 03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Sure I checked the build date, at least after so many people here took interest in the topic. I picked up my sedan in early July 04, the sticker says 04/04. Is this good or bad? Who knows. The previous responses show that the build date isnt' that important. However, my car's build date has some significance to me because I had to wait an additional 45 days or so for my car. The dealer told me that my car wasn't part of the initial shipment so he had to wait for my car to be shipped, presumably from the factory or port of entry. Given the dates of 04/04 and 07/04 his story could be true. Again, it doesn't say anything about the quality of the car, it only tells me that the dealer probably didn't jerk me around regarding the availability of my sedan.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Question

Originally Posted by kona063
Given the dates of 04/04 and 07/04 his story could be true.
What would the motivation be to tell you a falsehood ? Oh, I know............he wanted to wait another 45 days to get his commission...NOT . This is what I meant about these malignant, threads. They do nothing but breed unnecessary concern and suspicion on the part of the poor, already wary, consumer. This is on a par with the Salem Witch Hunt....'cept everybody that buys into this tripe gets burned Relax guys.....You weren't this tough on wives/girlfriends pre-delivery use were you? LOL JBX

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 03-06-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
What would the motivation be to tell you a falsehood ? Oh, I know............he wanted to wait another 45 days to get his commission...NOT . This is what I meant about these malignant, threads. ...
Threadpolice,
Is it not a possibility that it satisfying another buyer at the original dealership, one that made the deal contingent on getting the car within say 30 days, the dealer decided to redirect the OP's vehicle figuring that he could get the second car and not lose the OP's business. That would be two commissions instead of one. Or , possibly another dealer needed the OP's car and could provide the OP's dealer with a more expensive vehicle needed to consummate that deal.

Swaps between dealers happen all the time with sometimes elaborate quid pro quos.

Malignant enough for you?

Old 03-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
You're kidding....wow swaps? Is that what there called ? The intrigue, the cunning, the calculated deceit, all at the risk of having a deal cancel because of a delayed delivery, and the loss of an average $100 to $150 commission/ $500 to 800 gross profit (excluding the huge commission of course) Thread Police?.......hardly Sparky. Just challenging the moronic doom n' gloom type of speculation in THIS one. I'm only trying to level the playing field with some balance from somebody that's had over twenty years in automotive sales and management. You can also throw in another twelve years of owning a dealer transport service. My stats are solid so what's your beef Dawg? Just not negative enough for ya? JBX

Old 03-06-2005, 06:49 PM
...Thread Police?.......hardly Sparky. Just challenging the moronic doom n' gloom type of speculation in THIS one. ...
Quite helpful aren't you? Bye.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Homeslice
JBX,

I agree. Why not use the build date as negotiating leverage if you can. 3-5 months of little use for batteries, belts, etc... is not a big problem at all. Dealers want to turn over their stock as often as possible. If you are concerned about a dent that occured during shipping or something - ASK! I would expect an honest answer (form the manager at least )
In 98 I bought a 95 BMW that had a little clear coat peel which indicates a repaint, and I asked the manager if the car had been repainted and he said definitely not. He brought in the body shop mgr who also swore the car had never been repainted. As it turned out the car was repainted in numerous areas albeit done well. Unless I feel comfortable with the sales person, I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:35 PM
What would the motivation be to tell you a falsehood ? Oh, I know............he wanted to wait another 45 days to get his commission...NOT . This is what I meant about these malignant, threads. They do nothing but breed unnecessary concern and suspicion on the part of the poor, already wary, consumer. This is on a par with the Salem Witch Hunt....'cept everybody that buys into this tripe gets burned Relax guys.....You weren't this tough on wives/girlfriends pre-delivery use were you? LOL JBX
JustBrilliantX - My only point was that even though it wasn’t a big deal, the timeline seemed to match the story the dealership was telling me. From that you suggested malignancy and conspiracy theories, not me.

But, to respond to your question…If the car was built well in advance of my actual pickup date [07/04] then it is unlikely that there were ‘no matching cars available so I would have to wait for one to be built.’ If the car was built after my originally scheduled pickup date [05/04] then his assurances [04/04] that he ‘found the car I was looking for and it was in transit’ is either an honest mistake or a falsehood.

What would the motivation be to tell me a falsehood? It could have been to consummate a deal with another buyer who was more time sensitive than I, or swap with another dealer for similar reasons. It also could be that he is just a misanthropic reprobate. Either way his motivation is meaningless to me. I was just using the build date as a means to assess his credibility, not his reasons for doing or saying anything. In this case it suggested that what he told me was credible. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although you may have assumed so, my post wasn’t meant to ‘breed unnecessary concern and suspicion’ on the part of car dealerships. For example, I occasionally buy furniture that is either custom made or limited production. These pieces are signed and dated by the craftsman just prior to the finish being applied. If the salesperson tells me that there is nothing in stock so I have to wait 3-6 months for a particular chair, but the chair arrives and the stamp indicates it is 2 years old then I know the salesperson either made a mistake about their existing stock, in which case they might not know what they are doing, or they simply lied to me. If they are mistake prone maybe I would be better off dealing with someone with more experience and/or knowledge of their products. If they are lying to me it could indicate a real problem. Again, their reason for lying is not my concern. I just want accurate information and not speculation or what the salesperson thinks I want to hear.

As for questioning wives/girlfriends pre-delivery use, if I had to pay someone $35k for a girl sure I’d inquire about pre-delivery use and demand delivery on the date promised.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by kona063

What would the motivation be to tell me a falsehood? It could have been to consummate a deal with another buyer who was more time sensitive than I, or swap with another dealer for similar reasons...
kona063,

He won't get it. lol

Old 03-07-2005, 09:52 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Get what Einstein?

Old 04-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Lip
Where was my car built?

Where in Japan is the G/Skyline factory? - Any factory pictures?
Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many people check the build date on