G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How many people check the build date on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many people check the build date on

the car which is located on the drive's door jam on the metal plate which gives tire pressures and other info. If you are getting a new 04 leftover, I would beware of an early build date like Feb/Mar 04 which means that the car has been in the dealer's possession for a long time which could mean that there were defects that had to be fixed. Plus as the current 05 yr goes on early build dates means that the car just layed around outside in the freezing cold over the winter. That is one of the first things I do when I get a car from stock or if it was ordered and the dealer got one from another dealer this car could have layed around also for months or have defects fixed. So always check the door jam for the build date.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
going to go check mine now....

[edit]
Build Date 11/04. (bought 12/04)

Last edited by FrizzleFry; 02-03-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:39 PM
good info. I'm thinking about new 04 sedan. so it will be very helpful thanks.

Last edited by mine; 02-03-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
hehe- corgidog. I had to go out in the snow to check mine 10/04, picked it up on 12/04.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 02-03-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corgidog
I would beware of an early build date like Feb/Mar 04 which means that the car has been in the dealer's possession for a long time which could mean that there were defects that had to be fixed.
A February or March 04 would be a fairly late '04 model. IIRC they stop building that model year in may or june.

my '03.5 was built in 3/03 and I bought it in 9/03 with 17 miles on the odometer. There are too many factors between the time it's made and the time it's sold. Not all of them are negative as your implying

Old 02-03-2005, 07:29 PM
True, Shodog, there are many factors between the time it is made to the time it is sold with the most positive factor being that the car just sat around outside for 6 months or was periodically started to be moved. That in of itself is not a problem just 6 extra months for belts, battery, and hoses to deteriorate and gas to go bad. Not trying to sound the alarm as the effects are really minimal, but I think we all would agree we would rather have a car with a build date of 2 mos ago than 6 mos. ago.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Just another thought-I don't think dealers pay for the cars when they arrive instead they are charged a fee for the time the car is on their lot and then pay their cost when sold. So it costs the dealer less for a car that goes out the door immediately than a car that sits around for awhile. So how long a car has been sitting around is a relevant factor from a pricing perspective. I am not 100% sure on this but this is what I have heard.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Corgidog
True, Shodog, there are many factors between the time it is made to the time it is sold with the most positive factor being that the car just sat around outside for 6 months or was periodically started to be moved. That in of itself is not a problem just 6 extra months for belts, battery, and hoses to deteriorate and gas to go bad. Not trying to sound the alarm as the effects are really minimal, but I think we all would agree we would rather have a car with a build date of 2 mos ago than 6 mos. ago.
Hmmm, I never thought about that. Tonight, after reading the post, I checked the build date on my sedan. It was MFR'd July 03 and I purchased it in Feb 04. But you gotta figure, they are shipped over from Japan and then distributed. I live in So. Florida so snow is not a problem but rain and sun can work their "magic" on a vehicles exterior and even sun wise, the interior. I am glad to report that with 11500 miles, no problems except for a few minor fixes from service bulletins. I do seem to have some kind of a noise from the drivers window every now and then when hitting a bump or making a turn. They fixed the "A" piller noise but missed this one. So far, the car has really been great, much better than my 2003 I35 lemon wanna be. Almost switched away from Infiniti after that experience but the dealer made the difference cause Infiniti Consumer Services does not try to satisfy people. They figure there is always another sucker...er sorry, customer to buy their cars. I guess if the shoe fits, this sucker will have to wear it.

Old 02-03-2005, 07:50 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Like you Corgidog, I like fresh stock, so yes I check the build date tag for that info.

Luckily with our G's, demand is high and they sell fairly quickly so not many sit around lots too long. (Most lots---some are huge but not many)

Still wise to check the tag tho.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:23 PM
My build date was 12/2004 , bought it first week of Feb. Rosenthal said they only had it for 6 days, it had 11 miles on it with all the plastic sheets.

--Viral

Old 03-05-2005, 03:36 PM
What's your car's build date?

Originally Posted by Viral
My build date was 12/2004 , bought it first week of Feb. Rosenthal said they only had it for 6 days, it had 11 miles on it with all the plastic sheets.

--Viral

I wonder how long this G35 sat around?

Attached Thumbnails How many people check the build date on-100_0003_22.jpg  
Old 03-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Wow...that must of been one of the 1st g35's in the US

Old 03-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow I have a build date of 04/04 , do I have any concers to be aware of? I just bought this car 7days ago.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
O' ma god..A STALE CAR !

Yuh know, I luv talking to G people and trying to help out when possible. I've seen, read, and answered/responded to a lot of ...well.......strange ****. Most all of you know that I've always tried to maintain an even, not too sarcastic, disposition. Many of you know that I've earned a living in the automotive field since 1978. I primarily managed highline dealerships such as Saab,M.Benz,Porsche,Audi, AND Infiniti..... And, between 1992 and 2003, I owned a medium sized (3-10 car carriers,1-9 car, and 2-5 car straight jobs) auto transport company. So, I guess I'm saying that " I've got a clue"....do you? Corgi.......what the hell are you talking about ? Granted, with a THREE HUNDRED CAR INVENTORY, we didn't start every car every dam day....but,they were started at least twice a week. They had ta be to make room for constantly changing inventory, customer test drives, dealer prepping, and delivery test drives. The shipping protection (you guys call "sheets) were NEVER removed until the DAY OF DELIVERY and the car was FILLED with 93 Mobil premium AT THAT TIME. Belts, batteries, hoses, and bad gas ....OH MY! Go down to your local Advance Auto Parts and ask them how long their belts, hoses, and batteries sit in a warehouse before they're shipped to the store, only to sit around some more?! Longer than the cars do...I guarantee (my brother-in law is a regional mgr....I got a clue..do you?) Now another assumption/misconception correction....Dealers have approx. 60...SIXTY...SIX 0..days to sell a car before they have to start paying 4% "floor plan" (the bank owns the cars) in ADDITION to what you guys call "invoice". So, every month that a car sits in the lot over sixty days costs a dealer about a $1,000.00+/- interest on a car with a $30,000 dealer cost....Yeh Buddy. That's why even 'Consumer Reports' highly recommends that "older" stock cars always be considered a FIRST CHOICE when attempting to negotiate a good price. That's the dam dilleo dude. You have no idea how often I've bit my tongue (sat on my keyboard) after reading some of the silly crap here . Posting threads like this create unnecessary concerns for both owners, and perspective owners as well, for NO good reason! I've volunteered my help to many of you (successfully) in getting Infiniti prices on everything from extended warranties to cars at NO personal gain whatsoever to myself. I haven't worked for Infiniti for a while now and do it solely for the enthusiasts here on the site. One thought...I guess any of you guys/girls looking for pre owned cars should be looking for high mileage cars vs. low (using the logic of this thread) You wouldn't want to buy a car that wasn't driven enough and sat around too much ...would ya now ????LOL.....DAM. JBX...Well lets see who I **** off now...here goes

Old 03-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
????LOL.....DAM. JBX...Well lets see who I **** off now...here goes
Brilliant, you just nuked the response I thought we were going to see...
"OMG! I wonder what defect my car originally had? There still MUST be something wrong with it since it sat around so long!"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many people check the build date on