G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help! Is my head gasket blown?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a horrible feeling about this whole deal. I drove the car around town (about 30 mile total) No overheating, but parked car and then 5 min later went to restart and it struggled to start. After starting the check engine light came on. I guess I will take it to mechanic tomorrow and see what code is being pulled. I think I bought someones troubles.
Coolant level in tank is lower than it was this morning when I started driving it.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Sorry to hear.

I've always heard that a boiling coolant funnel means a blown head gasket, but if you didn't find coolant in the oil, or vise versa, and the coolant level in your reservoir tank drops after driving it, then that is no longer my first guess.

Let us know how it goes...

Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Got tired of the whole thing and took it to garage that specializes in Infinity. My gut tells me it is head gasket. The more I read and talk to mechanics the more I hear that a small head gasket leak will prevent "hot" air flow inside at idle speeds and will not necessarily show in oil or tail pipe since the catalytic converter sorts most of it out. The C02 comes out at higher pressure than the coolant. Eventually the collant works its way into a cylinder and causes a mis-fire.(Check engine light?) I know it's wishful thinking but I'm going to contact the seller (Who I contacted the day I purchased vehicle and told what was going on, he assured me it was just "air" in the system) and see if he is willing to split this bill whatever it is. I know I would do it but that does not mean he will. I suppose my next post will be the response from the garage. Trying to be optimistic but really grasping for straws.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin K
Got tired of the whole thing and took it to garage that specializes in Infinity. My gut tells me it is head gasket. The more I read and talk to mechanics the more I hear that a small head gasket leak will prevent "hot" air flow inside at idle speeds and will not necessarily show in oil or tail pipe since the catalytic converter sorts most of it out. The C02 comes out at higher pressure than the coolant. Eventually the collant works its way into a cylinder and causes a mis-fire.(Check engine light?) I know it's wishful thinking but I'm going to contact the seller (Who I contacted the day I purchased vehicle and told what was going on, he assured me it was just "air" in the system) and see if he is willing to split this bill whatever it is. I know I would do it but that does not mean he will. I suppose my next post will be the response from the garage. Trying to be optimistic but really grasping for straws.
Thanks for your thread.

I recently pulled the heads off my '04 when I had a burnt & broken valve in Cylinder #4 (see my thread w/pics), and had the heads reconditioned before re-installing. We obviously drained both the cooling and oil systems completely when we did this. When we re-filled everything & started it up, I only had to "burp" the system twice (once each day, first two days I drove it) and she was good to go. Have now driven almost 750 miles and no problems, no overheating, no bubbling, and plenty of heat to the cockpit as needed.

I think you have a different issue here than just "air in the system. Most of these guys making these comments have never even removed the cover on their engine, and are guessing just like you.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Well let this be a lesson to us all, that if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like its a duck, it is a duck. Coolant leaking into 3 cylinders, heads and valves being re-worked and water pump being replaced in the process. A 3K bill for a car that I drove less than 2 hours after purchase. I am still negotiating with seller to see if he is going to do the right thing and pay half, but in this world we live in I'm really not sure many people believe in what is called the golden rule. "And all things whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them". The poster above had it right, that much air in a system is not "normal". May post again to tell if any trust in humanity is restored.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy $hit man, that's garbage. I really hope that you get something back on this. Did you elect to have more than just the head gasket replaced or is that a packaged deal?

Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 PM
Jesus Christ man, hearing that makes me sick. I'm sorry all that happened to you.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Have not got the total breakdown yet, but it includes the reworking of the heads and valves something they do if they warranty it. Since they are in it they are replacing water pump and all gaskets. Not sure if that price is high or not but the shop has a good rep as far as I can tell and are supposed to be cheaper than the dealership.
Yep, definitely not what I was expecting.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kevin K
Have not got the total breakdown yet, but it includes the reworking of the heads and valves something they do if they warranty it. Since they are in it they are replacing water pump and all gaskets. Not sure if that price is high or not but the shop has a good rep as far as I can tell and are supposed to be cheaper than the dealership.
Yep, definitely not what I was expecting.
Sucks to hear that man. This easily could have happened to me. I stopped to get gas 2 minutes after I bought my g35 and it went straight to HOT. I took it back and had the fans and assemblies replaced. I had a million things running through my head when I saw that geez.

Will they only do what they need to do to get it out the door or will you end up with a cleaner engine? Will it bring back original power?

Thanks man

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Looks like you now know why the previous owner was selling it.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Conclusion

Well the conclusion to this matter was a $4,300 bill from garage. I personally think the garage (Who has good reviews) raked me over the coals. I was originally quoted $3,200 for the overhaul but there were "other" things that needed to be replaced (water pump, extra gaskets, hoses, and catalatic coverter had some holes in it) The motor of course runs great and seems to have all the power. (I think it should I could have replaced whole motor for this price). The guy who sold me the car gave me $1,000 and says he would get me more later (Anyone besides me think he will?) Grateful for the help he gave but still with this amount of money I could have bought a nice 2008! Oh well the moral of this story is that I will never buy another used car without a mechanic close by giving it a go over even if it cost me a couple hundred bucks its better than thousands.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
WOW, I would never expect the bill to be that high, ever...did he replace one or both head gaskets?

Old 10-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Oh yes, both head gaskets were replaced (leaks on both sides) and the heads were completely reworked with valves ect. The machine shop bill was $800 by itself. The other kicker was that the heads had already been off the car. He showed me where there was machine shop paint on the heads with permatex on outside. He said whoever did the job the last time did a sorry job and did not remove old gaskets properly. Either way, I still think it was every bit as high as taking it to the Stealership.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
WOW!

I'm sorry to see that you spent that much! You probably could have found a new VQ for that price

Nick C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Is my head gasket blown?