G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP! - Brake & Battery Warning Lights Won't Go Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
HELP! - Brake & Battery Warning Lights Won't Go Out!

Hello All - sorry, but I searched the Tech forum for 2 hours and could not find anything close to my problem discussed there.

Started my '04 6MT Sedan tonight and the battery warning light and brake warning lights on the dashboard stayed on and will not shut off. Tried re-starting the car several times but no effect.

Owner's manual said causes are low brake fluid (reservoir is full) and battery not charging (have to check alternator output tomorrow but lights are burning brightly and no noticeable dimming when turning headlights on, etc., even with engine off).

Just hoping somebody has experienced this before and there is a simple answer (like when your check engine light comes on because the gas cap isn't tight). I can try disconnecting the battery and re-setting the ECU, but don't know if that also re-sets the electrical system in some way?

Your input appreciated - Experiences? Answers? Suggestions?

D Barnes

Old 11-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Battery light is very likely to be an alternator going out

As for the brake light, you could have a brake sensor potentially that isn't working correctly - you should check the error codes stored in ECU to see if there is any insight. They can help you if you are testing that at Autozone/Checker to read the codes

Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tolboothwilley™
Battery light is very likely to be an alternator going out

As for the brake light, you could have a brake sensor potentially that isn't working correctly - you should check the error codes stored in ECU to see if there is any insight. They can help you if you are testing that at Autozone/Checker to read the codes
Thank you for the input Tollbooth.

Could be a coincidence, but both lights coming o9n at once without ever doing so before seems strange.

I have my own code reader, but the check engine light is not lit (indicating no codes are set), but you never know, so I'll check that tonight.

As far as the alternator, the easy way is to have O'Reilly or AutoZone check it for me, although I also have a multimeter and can check the charging output myself.

Hoping someone has encountered this before and it's a simple glitch in the system, but in the end you might be right on both counts Tollbooth.

Thanks again for the input - anyone else ??

Old 11-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Prepare now to change your alternator

Old 11-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Ghosts In The Machine

Looks like "ghosts in the machine" guys ....

I was gonna reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery overnight last night, but on my way home from work (in the dark with lights on, etc.), BOTH of the offending dash warning lights (battery & brake) suddenly went out. I drove it around awhile, and then to work this morning - all systems normal now !! WTF??!!

Thanks for all your input though - always appreciated.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And there is nothing in the user manual on this? Usually the UM explains most of the lights/combos that appears...

Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
LOL

Sometimes that happens where the electronics bug out and then a reset fixes everything. Never underestimate the ECU reset!!

Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 PM
OK Guys, problem is back with a vengeance.

Battery and Brake lights came back on, but no noticeable effect on the way the car ran. Then it happened - driving down a city street at 45 MPH, suddenly the car loses all power and nose dives, slowing down to less than 10 MPH - all lights on (Slip, VDC, Brake, Battery, ABS, etc.) and car will not rev or exceed 10 MPH no matter how much accelerator pedal is applied - believe we call this "limp mode" ??

Since I was with 10-12 blocks of home, I drove the damned thing at 10 MPH or less about 6-7 blocks (with warning flashers on), then suddenly it surged forward, lighting the rear tires and we are back in business with full power! Brake and Battery lights still on though. Drove it home, then drove it around the neighborhood, then again - no warning - back in "limp mode" with all dash lights lit up, limped home and parked it.

Disconnected battery overnight to reset ECU, and charged the battery on trickle charge all nigh for good measure. Reconnected and fired it up this morning - Battery and Brake lights stay on but car runs fine for most the day, several stops and starts and around town driving, Then, wham - back in limp mode, so I again limped home and she's parked in the garage again (while I'm driving that damned bulletproof '96 Accord with 177K miles that sits in the corner and nobody cares about until their car breaks down).

Service Engine light never came on, and no codes were set when I used my code reader, so I'm stumped. Have been told it could be a poor ground causing this, but stumped for now. Afraid to drive the car anywhere, and freeway is out of the question right now.

Hoping with this new "symptom" (limp mode and ALL dash warning lights coming on) somebody may have experienced this before?? Don't want to start the "wallet diagnostics" by replacing sensors at random (wasted time and $) -

Thoughts ??

Old 11-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may not be it but I know the dash lights up 2 or 3 things when your brake fluid level is low.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM
All fixed now - it was a loose ground!

Thank you all for your input, guys - we live and learn together.

Went over the car thoroughly this weekend, and discovered that the wires to the alternator were loose, and the system was not grounding (and therefore not charging).
Tightened everything up, fired right up and all lights went out and stayed out.

So if your brake AND battery lights come on and don't go off, check the ground on the alternator (and the battery connections too) before spending major time trying to locate the problem - it could be as simple as my problem (loose wire)!

Notes:
* The car runs in "limp mode" whenever the ground was lost. After a bump in the road the wires jiggled, ground restored and suddenly all the power is back, but next bump you hit it's back to "limp mode" when the ground comes loose again......
* Neither the Owners Manual nor the Factory Workshop Manual references a situation where the only lights that are lit on the dash are "Brake" and "Battery", but that's the symptom when the ground is loose at the alternator.

Thanks again !

Old 11-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
On all Infiniti vehicles the brake and battery light come on and this is most def. an alternator problem, when the brake fluid level is low the brake,slip,and vdc off lights all come on at the same time. The alternator will fix your entire issue.Car is going into limp mode because without the alternator charging you are running on straight battery power and when it starts getting weak it will throw the car into limp mode. Hope this helps guys

Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Brake + Battery light = bad alternator

Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 AM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had 3 dash lights on (eBrake, traction control and another) that all went out right after I topped up my brake fluid.

I'm sure Infiniti would have charged me $1k for a bunhc of sensors or something.

Very helpful thread - thanks!

Old 12-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake+battery lights simultaneously indicates an alternator problem in all Nissan/Infiniti vehicles.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x, Premium package
that is the problem I am having, only they flash at the same time intermittently

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! - Brake & Battery Warning Lights Won't Go Out!