G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2004 G35 Sedan Transmission Questions! Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 G35 Sedan Transmission Questions! Help

My 2004 G35 Sedan RWD with 200,000kms has gone into limp mode and service engine light comes back with error codes 1757 and 1759 related to the front brake solenoid and the function of the front brake solenoid. "Internal transmission problems" as dealership recommends the following ripoff:

Transmission Remove and Installed Set Up 7.0. hrs
Flush Transmission with Cleaner 0.5 hrs
Valve Body ***'y 3.0 hrs

I have been doing a lot of reading online but cannot find a clear answer how to get this fixed. Seems like lot of people keep driving in limp mode until they figure it out. I don't believe there is anything seriously wrong with my tranny and if I can just get this sensor fixed that would be it. Dealership says even if they replace the solenoid that will not fix the tranny so that doesn't make any sense to me... they are talking about metal shavings in the oil and basically offered me a new tranny for 9 thousand dollars!!

I don't want to deal with the dealership anymore so I have an appointment at a transmission shop first thing next week but wanted to get some feedback first from anyone who may have dealt with this.

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this issue with mine when I first bought my g took it to the dealership and it turned out to be low on trans fluid. The dealership did tell me that there were no metal shavings in the trans so the valve body would not have to be replaced. The brake solenoid can't not be bought by itself it required the entire valvebody to be replaced. The trans shop may not say 9k but they are still going to be pricey you might be better off trying to find a good used trans imo
Originally Posted by bvlgari23
My 2004 G35 Sedan RWD with 200,000kms has gone into limp mode and service engine light comes back with error codes 1757 and 1759 related to the front brake solenoid and the function of the front brake solenoid. "Internal transmission problems" as dealership recommends the following ripoff:

Valve Body ***'y 3.0 hrs

I have been doing a lot of reading online but cannot find a clear answer how to get this fixed. Seems like lot of people keep driving in limp mode until they figure it out. I don't believe there is anything seriously wrong with my tranny and if I can just get this sensor fixed that would be it. Dealership says even if they replace the solenoid that will not fix the tranny so that doesn't make any sense to me... they are talking about metal shavings in the oil and basically offered me a new tranny for 9 thousand dollars!!

I don't want to deal with the dealership anymore so I have an appointment at a transmission shop first thing next week but wanted to get some feedback first from anyone who may have dealt with this.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bvlgari23

Valve Body ***'y 3.0 hrs

Thanks!
same thing i had and stealership offered me 2 choises, refurb tranny for 1.5 and new one for 3.5k plus labor screw that found an auto dismantler that had a 2004 coupe tranny with 36k miles and 6 month warranty for 850, paid 400 for a mechanic to install it, done deal car drives like new even better then my 160k tranny its a way better deal then to have a new valvebody in an old tranny or some refurb one that infiniti wasent even going to warranty
i still have my old tranny and i will be dissecting it to see if the solenoid is bad and if there are metal shavings in it but that has to wait till after christmass

Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
If you have a front brake solenoid code, trans is done. With that kind of mileage I would not recommend wasting money on valve body replacement. 7.0 is about right for replacement time. My dealer would charge 9.0

Old 01-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitidude
If you have a front brake solenoid code, trans is done. With that kind of mileage I would not recommend wasting money on valve body replacement. 7.0 is about right for replacement time. My dealer would charge 9.0
I just got same codes on my '05.

Why do you say tranny is done? If solenoid failed, seems simple enough to just change out the valve body. Not arguing, just curious since I have to figure out what to do

Anyone else have bad experiences with these transmissions -- are they junk?

Old 01-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would venture to say that the majority of owner here do not have problems with their transmissions over the long haul. If I were in the OP's postion, I would also get my hands on a used one since our transmissions are pretty stout. For everyone else reading...change your transmission oil regularly people! It is good preventative maintenance. I've had mine done twice (40k and 80k miles) at the dealer. I choose to do it there as they perform a complete flush vs. a drain and fill (which I can do). Good luck!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What is the opinion of changing the fluid @ 200,000 km if it has never been changed b4?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,028 Likes on 945 Posts
Originally Posted by markc
What is the opinion of changing the fluid @ 200,000 km if it has never been changed b4?
I would only change it little by little. But that's just me I guess?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Well that's good to hear, because that's what I'm doing. I drained the pan, drove it for 500 km and drained the pan again, refilling each time of course. The car is stored for the winter, so I'll resume the procedure when I take it out again in the spring. I just bought the car last June and judging by the fluid that came out, it hasn't been changed b4. So far, so good.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by GraphiteGSdn
I would venture to say that the majority of owner here do not have problems with their transmissions over the long haul. If I were in the OP's postion, I would also get my hands on a used one since our transmissions are pretty stout. For everyone else reading...change your transmission oil regularly people! It is good preventative maintenance. I've had mine done twice (40k and 80k miles) at the dealer. I choose to do it there as they perform a complete flush vs. a drain and fill (which I can do). Good luck!
Very few, if any, car manufacturers recommend a flush. They only suggest a drain and fill.

I personally do a drain and fill every 10k miles. At 30k I have replaced about 90% of the fluid and by 40 k i would guess about 95-98%. I have 183k miles on my car (i am original owner) and use castrol multi import vehicle trans fluid since about 100k miles. My trans trans fluid looks almost new when i drain it.

Last edited by 5150DS; 01-19-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by markc
Well that's good to hear, because that's what I'm doing. I drained the pan, drove it for 500 km and drained the pan again, refilling each time of course. The car is stored for the winter, so I'll resume the procedure when I take it out again in the spring. I just bought the car last June and judging by the fluid that came out, it hasn't been changed b4. So far, so good.
I would change it every oil change. Your vehicle is used to using the wear materials for friction. If you change too quickly you can destroy the trans. Every 3-5k should give the trans time to adjust to less materials in the fluid.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Yea, maybe I stretch the change interval, Thing is, I only put 3k km a year on it or so as I only drive it in the summer and mostly just on weekends.