G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

04 G35 Sedan Wandering/Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by itschuckster
Had a chance to peak under the car a bit yesterday.

Looks like the Outer Transverse Link Bushings are shot.

I've also got a torn boot on the CV Halfshaft on the passenger side.

Haven't had a chance to lift the car to check that rear wheel issue yet.
Gravel driveway and no garage
Those are ball joints not bushings.
They won't make your car pull they just make some clunk noise if they get really bad.
The pull is from your wheel bearing in the rear most likely. Fix that first.
My car is in the shop right now for a wheel bearing and I noticed it because the car was jerking and driving where it wanted to go especially on the highway.
$625 for a new hub, bearing, and tire balance (not related).

Old 04-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
@ itschuckster. Your original post states that you took it to several shops and they all said that the suspension looks and feels good. Either that's not the case or the shops are incompetent, judging by the photos.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
just lifted each corner and found the rear passenger wheel has a slight bit of play in it maaaybe 1/4". almost as if it is loose, but the wheel lugs are tight. i am able to wiggle it up, down, left, and right equally in each direction followed by a "clink" metal on metal noise.

Not sure if that is a wheel bearing or not?

also, how and where do i check the suspension bushings?

sorry for being a newb.

in the engine bay where the strut tower mounts, the mounting and center strut bolts are slightly rusted. idk if this could be a sign of worn struts?

i will take pics tomorrow of the suspension
That right there is your main culprit i can almost guarantee it
i had the same problem its a bad wheel bearing and i causes the car to wander all over the road I'm surprised any shop that checked your suspension missed that.
First try tightening the axle nut, if it tightens and then loosens again you have a bad bearing and need to replace it.if the axle nut is already tight then you will have to replace the bearing

Old 04-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
just saw the rest of the thread
if you go for aftermarket bushings just do the whole front end its 112 for the front kit
i installed them myself so cant comment on the labor rate, but after replacing both the control arm bushings and comp rod ones there was a damn good improvement in the steering of the car.
if your willing to get dirty for it you can remove the control arms and just bring them to a shop and have them pressed out and put the new ones in yourself no press required, also make sure they use the grease supplied with the bushings
http://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/...71.135.162.207

The following users liked this post:
hinduman g35X (02-27-2015)
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yosip : yikes, that is a pretty penny. i am going to try tightening that axel nut down as nazc0 suggested. hopefully it just magically became loose and needs tightened. I've had some hefty bills lately so i havent had the extra money to get any parts in yet. i will probably order that front bushing kit since it is dirt cheap (thanks for the link btw). it's cheaper than the cr kit and lca kit combined!

Old 04-22-2014, 11:27 AM
@nazc0

how do you install the aftermarket bushings without a press? Do they just slide right in?

Could I just pop the old ones out with a screw driver and hammeror something similar or do they have to be pressed out?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Update

I just recently picked up a 12 ton press from harbor freight, Energy Suspension front end kit, front sway bar bushings, a hotchkis rear sway bar with new bushings and mounts (which i got for $30 on ebay), and two new ball joints for the lca.

Got everything installed last weekend and everything feels a lot sturdier and tighter. however, the tram-lining and sloppy steering remained the same.

So i was doing some research and decided i would try adjusting the tensioner on my power steering rack. tightened it all the way down and backed off a 1/4 turn or so. I took it for a spin afterwards and the car's tendency to follow grooves in the road and bump-steer is significantly reduced. I think this was the major culprit.

for anyone battling the same problems as me, i would highly recommend giving it a shot.

Next i'll probably be purchasing all new wheel bearings. I also still feel every bump in the road , so new shock mounts and possibly some monroes or KYB's are in line.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:56 PM
I just recently picked up a 12 ton press from harbor freight, Energy Suspension front end kit, front sway bar bushings, a hotchkis rear sway bar with new bushings and mounts (which i got for $30 on ebay), and two new ball joints for the lca.

Got everything installed last weekend and everything feels a lot sturdier and tighter. however, the tram-lining and sloppy steering remained the same.

So i was doing some research and decided i would try adjusting the tensioner on my power steering rack. tightened it all the way down and backed off a 1/4 turn or so. I took it for a spin afterwards and the car's tendency to follow grooves in the road and bump-steer is significantly reduced. I think this was the major culprit.

for anyone battling the same problems as me, i would highly recommend giving it a shot.

Next i'll probably be purchasing all new wheel bearings. I also still feel every bump in the road , so new shock mounts and possibly some monroes or KYB's are in line.
This is something new to try for me! I have replaced everything in my front end I mean everything... Compression rods, bearings, in and outer tie rods, struts, upper control arms, lca bushings, CR bushings, and sway bar connecting rods/bushings. Still my car feels like I don't have a sway bar. When switching from one side of the road crest to the other there is a huge moment, the car also makes a pop/crunch on weight shifts, and eats through tires... I am down to the radials.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
This is something new to try for me! I have replaced everything in my front end I mean everything... Compression rods, bearings, in and outer tie rods, struts, upper control arms, lca bushings, CR bushings, and sway bar connecting rods/bushings. Still my car feels like I don't have a sway bar. When switching from one side of the road crest to the other there is a huge moment, the car also makes a pop/crunch on weight shifts, and eats through tires... I am down to the radials.
Hmmm. Make sure everything is torqued correctly and check upper strut mounts. mine are so rusted that the two metal pieces are separated and the rubber components are separating. i noticed this when doing my bushing install and decided to take them out and screw with them while i was at it. i must destroyed whatever was keeping it on it's last limb because now i have a clunk noise in that area whenever i am coming to a complete stop.

I also still have some noticeable squeaks. I have noticed the infamous ES CR bushings gap everyone is referring to and people say it is normal (i don't think so). I seen somewhere on here a guy used some washers on the bolt to keep the bushing from sliding down past the little post on the triangular metal bar thing . i wonder if this will help squeaks?

as far as uneven tire wear, how is your alignment compare to these charts?
https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...ons-specs.html

if you cant get camber/caster close, it may be time for a kit!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
You say you saw the alignment being done and that they "zeroed out" each wheel. If that's true, it's incorrect. You must have a small amount of "toe in" to keep it tracking straight. Same goes with the back.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
You say you saw the alignment being done and that they "zeroed out" each wheel. If that's true, it's incorrect. You must have a small amount of "toe in" to keep it tracking straight. Same goes with the back.
This is very true. And at the time i was not aware of the factory specs. However he did need to input my vehicle make and model. Although for 2004 there is a RWD coupe and sedan and also a 2004.5 Sedan RWD and AWD and possibly another coupe. a few of which have different specs.

I know my 2004.5 AWD Sedan has unique specs as compared to the 2004 and 2004.5 RWD sedans. So it is likely, they are incorrect.

I regrettably did not ask him to print off a spec sheet at the time since i watched him "correct" everything perfectly on point.

I plan on going back with the known correct specs. My car (and seemingly a lot of others on here) pulls to the right slightly still.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Hmmm. Make sure everything is torqued correctly and check upper strut mounts. mine are so rusted that the two metal pieces are separated and the rubber components are separating. i noticed this when doing my bushing install and decided to take them out and screw with them while i was at it. i must destroyed whatever was keeping it on it's last limb because now i have a clunk noise in that area whenever i am coming to a complete stop.

I also still have some noticeable squeaks. I have noticed the infamous ES CR bushings gap everyone is referring to and people say it is normal (i don't think so). I seen somewhere on here a guy used some washers on the bolt to keep the bushing from sliding down past the little post on the triangular metal bar thing . i wonder if this will help squeaks?

as far as uneven tire wear, how is your alignment compare to these charts?
https://g35driver.com/forums/wheels-...ons-specs.html

if you cant get camber/caster close, it may be time for a kit!
I know I am long overdue for a kit but they are too much money for me to buy. I should have just put a nail in my tire and called it a day. My car has always pulled to the right, always. It keeps me up at night much like you guys too I'm sure.

For all I know my alignment is off because it drives a lot differently than when I first got it back. When I first got it, it felt on center and liked cornering. I heard an extremely loud pop going really fast around a corner the other night; it was a metal to metal clunk. My toe WAS good, might still not be. I don't have any money or time to be screwing around so that's why I did evrything at once. I had peace of mind until I saw my radials one day! WTF

It was very concerning when I saw for the second time that I have worn my tires down to the radials in the front... In 15k or less.

Maybe they wore down when I had to drive out of alignment for a few days before I could get it into the shop. For now, I am just trying to fix the noise I am hearing... I feel it will be related. Any other ideas besides sway bar connecting rods? Only at slow speeds during weight shifts and coming to a stop I hear a pop.

I had smacked the grade 12.9 stud that the compression rod bushing attaches to so hard that it bent backwards slightly. I thought for sure fixing that while replacing everything else at the same time would fix my steering uneasiness but nope. I have recently replaced everything in this list except #6 I got new KYB struts and mounts about 40k miles ago:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ism-guide.html

Still the car wants to pull right,, the wheel does not snap back, and the car does not give good steering response. I am losing hope quickly.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
I know I am long overdue for a kit but they are too much money for me to buy. I should have just put a nail in my tire and called it a day. My car has always pulled to the right, always. It keeps me up at night much like you guys too I'm sure.

For all I know my alignment is off because it drives a lot differently than when I first got it back. When I first got it, it felt on center and liked cornering. I heard an extremely loud pop going really fast around a corner the other night; it was a metal to metal clunk. My toe WAS good, might still not be. I don't have any money or time to be screwing around so that's why I did evrything at once. I had peace of mind until I saw my radials one day! WTF

It was very concerning when I saw for the second time that I have worn my tires down to the radials in the front... In 15k or less.

Maybe they wore down when I had to drive out of alignment for a few days before I could get it into the shop. For now, I am just trying to fix the noise I am hearing... I feel it will be related. Any other ideas besides sway bar connecting rods? Only at slow speeds during weight shifts and coming to a stop I hear a pop.

I had smacked the grade 12.9 stud that the compression rod bushing attaches to so hard that it bent backwards slightly. I thought for sure fixing that while replacing everything else at the same time would fix my steering uneasiness but nope. I have recently replaced everything in this list except #6 I got new KYB struts and mounts about 40k miles ago:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ism-guide.html

Still the car wants to pull right,, the wheel does not snap back, and the car does not give good steering response. I am losing hope quickly.
I cant remember if you said you replaced all your bushings...
take a look at ALL of themon the front end..
inner lower control arm, shock mount, compression rod, both upper control arm, sway bar. make sure nothing is off-center and no control arms are resting against frame, check for play and movement. everything should be solid. i have heard sway bar links are a huge cause with the metal on metal sound. ball joints, upper strut mounts are other culprits.

as far as uneven tire wear goes, check wheal bearings for play or noise and definitely get an alignment! that is most likely the cause there.

I'll update again if i ever figure out what is causing my clunking when coming to stops.

it is likely i goofed something when putting everything back together.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:34 PM
So i got my front wheel bearings installed. No more airplane noise (thank the lord). I definitely noticed a difference in how the front end handles. Now its time for the rear, which i may have exaggerated in the amount of play (its minuscule, just enough for it to click if you rock the wheel back and forth fast enough. maybe 1/16"-1/8".)

Any who, after i got even put back together and what not, my clunk noise when stopping dissipated, for now at least.

Car is still all over the road..
I'm beginning to think that the whole tensioner adjustment was placebo

Oh yeah, I accidentally whacked my front driver side abs sensor pretty good with a hammer and my dash lit up like a x-mas tree. -_- so that's cool.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe Base Model
So i got my front wheel bearings installed. No more airplane noise (thank the lord). I definitely noticed a difference in how the front end handles. Now its time for the rear, which i may have exaggerated in the amount of play (its minuscule, just enough for it to click if you rock the wheel back and forth fast enough. maybe 1/16"-1/8".)

Any who, after i got even put back together and what not, my clunk noise when stopping dissipated, for now at least.

Car is still all over the road..
I'm beginning to think that the whole tensioner adjustment was placebo

Oh yeah, I accidentally whacked my front driver side abs sensor pretty good with a hammer and my dash lit up like a x-mas tree. -_- so that's cool.
By any chance did you ever fix this problem? I have been having this same problem for the past 8 months now and I don’t know what to do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 G35 Sedan Wandering/Steering Issues