G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP with the smart entry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP with the smart entry

Having a problem with the drive side door entry button from my 2005 Infiniti G35X sedan. Car has the smart key and for some reason the drive side button doesn't work to open or close the car.The weird thing is the passenger side works as will as the trunk button, both exterior button. I have both remotes, and both are working to start, unlock, lock, and trunk release the car using the remote buttons. I know the remotes battery are good because while stating the car the key light on the dash is green. Is there a fuse or did the button just gave up. Any help is much appreciated!
I am very sad b/c i got use to leaving my keys in my pocket and opening my car.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Either the button, or wireless remote inside the door handle has failed.

My car currently has this issue as well and exploring how to repair it. Need to pull off the door panel and have a look one of these days.

The following users liked this post:
Devon Bissoon (10-28-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
My idea on this would be to examine the wires which go from the body to the door through the hinge area (via the rubber boot). Think about how many times those get flexed or twisted over the years - every time you drive your car. Many of us experienced this problem with the trunk which has a harness that bends even further than the doors. It makes sense that eventually these wires could need repair.

Inspect that harness for frayed or broken wires. Could be the wire to the button or to the antenna... Hope that's what's happening.

The following users liked this post:
Devon Bissoon (10-28-2014)
Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 AM
thanks for the help i took of the door panel today and everything looks good. I didn't take of the second layer to see the door lock itself, but I definitely will take a look at the wires in between the door and the frame. I did remember that during the time it stop working the car did beep about 4-6 times, idk want it meant at the the time but the next thing i knew it stop working.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:16 AM
The key components are on the door handle. There is the actual button, and the remote sensor. If the button worked off and on and then failed all together, it's most likely the button. I'd test this by unplugging it and testing for continuity when the button is pressed. I'd then jump up the wires with the key nearby and see if it triggers an unlock command.

Replacing it is a different story. Still need to explore that.

I'm just waiting for a Sat when i have some time to pull my panel off and take a look. Getting annoying having to use my remote to unlock the doors now.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-28-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM
This is what you are looking at. This is the PASSENGER side handle, but the driver's would be the same, just mirrored.

#1 is the remote receiver that senses if the key is near the door.
#2 is the actual push button.

Name:  Keyless_zps3c1d1b6b.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  67.4 KB

#1 is replaceable.
#2 looks like it can be replaced by removing the 2 screws, but it part of the harness, so the entire pigtail would need to change as well.

Don't know OEM part numbers for these compoents. I'm pretty sure in my case, #2 is bad due to me being able to sometimes get the door to unlock if i wiggled the button correctly.

Here's the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/bl.pdf

Some wiring diagrams around page 118 might be useful here.

EDIT: I think the big issus is reaching the door handle to begin with. Not much in the door is open, but i beleive the wo outer screws can be removed allowing the handle to be pulled outwards to access the parts. This is coupe door, but I think this "shield" needs to be removed to access the guts of the door, with the window all the way up. Even then, the window might be in the way and needs to be removed first. A HUGE PITA which is why I haven't found much in terms of how to repair this issue. I bet many just let the button remain broken.

This is the only issue with my car right now...so I'd like to fix it. I actually purchased a driver's sedan handle off Ebay simply for the parts. When i receive it, i'll attempt the repair and provide my feedback. However, free time is at a premium these days, so it could be a few weeks.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:28 PM
update: Today i got both the remote and i just held down the drive side button, request button, and it started working. idk if its a feature that you can disable the button or maybe its broken. I've used it a few minutes ago and it seems to work normal. One possibility could be water corrosion due to the massive amount of rain that fell a few days ago. I really don't know what it could be, just happy.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 PM
That happened to mine as well. I could manage to get the button to work by pressing it down hard, or at different angles. Eventually it would register and work for a bit. The frequency of the times it wouldn't work however began to increase over time until it just stopped working all-together. I would imagine over time, moisture has corroded or damaged the contacts.

So hopefully it stays working for a while for you because replacing it looks like a HUGE pita. Mine worked intermittently for a year before it completely failed.

I did find some part numbers though. I don't think this is my issue, but might as well put some useful data on the forum

Remote sensors
http://infiniti.sewellparts.com/oem-...edan-2006.html

Looks like it's 28587+A on their diagram. Unsure which OEM part number that is. I'd prob just stroll into a dealer and ask for these if they are about $40 each

Still hunting for the button which I think is my issue, but i ordered a used handle off ebay so i'll use that one (hopefully it works)

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 10-28-2014 at 02:20 PM.