G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2005 18" tire options...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 18" tire options...

I noticed that some cars with 18" wheels have Goodyear NTC5 tires, and some have Bridgestone Turanza ER33.

I can't find much info about either of these tires... the Goodyear were stamped with a 240 treadwear rating, and the Potenzas were stamped with a 140 Treadwear! Ouch!

And.. of course... the Goodyear site has no information on these tires... The Bridgestone tires are listed as OE for the 2003 M45... I guess Infiniti had some left over they needed to get rid of? The reviews on the TireRack site for these tires are not exactly "confidence inspiring".

Old 02-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Just a friendly reminder, treadwear ratings are not comparable between manufacturers. They're only intended to be used to compare individual models within a single tire manufacturer's lineup.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by infocalypse
Just a friendly reminder, treadwear ratings are not comparable between manufacturers. They're only intended to be used to compare individual models within a single tire manufacturer's lineup.
Sorry - bull****. I've read this piece of mis-information several times on forums, so I do not fault your memory... but having worked in the performance biz and knowing a lot about tires, the treadwear ratings ARE comparable between different tires/manufacturers and I may as well speak up.

In fact, tires are tested to acquire that treadwear rating right around San Angelo, TX over a 400 mile course - several laps - about 7200 miles worth of driving. Then, based on a "control" set of tires rated at a standard "100", the test tires are given that treadwear rating.

Just a friendly reminder - just because it's typed on a forum (or repeatedly in many forums), doesn't make it true.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:44 PM
amt
you are saying every single tire model is tested at a "course"? This is a track? What fleet of cars does do they have have to cover every tire made?

Old 02-17-2005, 10:42 PM
what tires are on the coupe with 18 inch rims?

Old 02-18-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by amt
you are saying every single tire model is tested at a "course"? This is a track? What fleet of cars does do they have have to cover every tire made?
It's actually a section of public roads - not a private course. I could probably do a search to find more info, but this was the procedure last I knew, and I doubt it has changed.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the NCT5 is a europe/asia tire. Check goodyear's UK site. I recall that's where I found information on them.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Bridgestone Turanza ER33 (Grand Touring Summer) can be found here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

This is at Tire Rack. They have decent comparisons and prices too.
Kinda long, but I hope it helps. I could not find the NCT5 here though.

Old 02-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-26-2005, 08:25 PM
my 05 6MT sedan i just picked up came with the GoodYears.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:42 AM
My 05 6MT came with the Turanzas... those Tire Rack reviews aren't very flattering...

Old 02-27-2005, 01:24 AM
My 05 Sedan 6MT (delivered at the end of January) came with the Goodyears. I'm in the SF Bay Area. Is there a pattern (e.g., geographic or date of delivery) for which cars are getting the Goodyears vs. the Bridgestones?

Old 02-27-2005, 08:54 PM
It's not geographic, because the dealer here had a balance of both Goodyears and Turanzas on the 18" wheeled cars...

Old 02-27-2005, 09:29 PM
In Houston, I saw the 18s with both Goodyears and Turanzas as well. Don't think there is much rhyme or reason to the allocation of the tires.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:13 PM
IS there anyone in the north east that is driving on the turanzas?

Are they really that bad? I am scheduled to pick up my BS 6MT 05 Sedan this coming week and I saw it had those on it as well. I am picking it up in Massachusetts probably Tues. I have driven rear wheel, front and all wheel drive cars in my life and each requires a certain driving style. I understand that I will have to drive cautiously, but they can't be bad enough that the car is un-driveable are they?

I was hoping I could sneak through whats left of the winter here (Live in NH) and since I put 24K miles a year on nmy cars commuting, by the fall/winter I would probably be in the market for new tires and was going to plus size up so that I could get a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero M/S. The reviews on them are fantastic. For both snow and dry weather.

Just curious where you are and what other experiences you and anyone else with the Turanza's on their new sedan are and how you have dealt with it.

For them to sell the car in the north east, in the winter on a tire that is totally un-driveable in the winter is just foolish. If I do pick up my car all detaield and ready to go Tuesday and it is snowing out, and I have trouble even getting going out of their lot...wouldn't that seem just foolish?

I am SO dying to get my car..on another note Currently have a 02 Max GLE on Michelin Pilot A/S and LOVE the tires. Wish they were sized to fit these damn wheels...we have so few tire choices for this car.

BS with graphite interior, all opts except NAV.

Will be such a different car than the Maxima...

Thanks!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 18" tire options...