G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

So, apparently I was missing 3 quarts of oil???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Basically you have no idea if you are leaking or burning the oil.

So do a full oil change, and replace the cooler o-ring. Top it off with 5 qts of oil and then let the car sit for 4 hours or so and THEN pull the dipstick and see where the oil mark is. It should be near the top of the hashed area.

Now drive. Every couple of days, when the car's been parked for at least 3-4 hours (to let oil drain and settle) pull the dipstick and check.

When it's near the bottom of the hashed area, thats'a about 1 qt low.

If you suspect you are leaking, leave your engine undertray off for a few days. It won't hurt anything. Put some cardboard under the car when parked, and when you drive, stick it in your trunk and replace it when you park again. Yes, you will look like a hooptymobile for a week or so, but you need to understand if you are burning or leaking oil.

If you are a burner, start keeping qts of oil in your trunk. At this point brand won't matter and you'll find topping off 1-2 qts of Mobil 1 gets expensive quick, so you may want to reconsider brands (gasp...but isn't Mobil 1 the only oil to run!) and losing 3 qts in weeks is VERY excessive. Most oil burning 3.5's here use maybe 2-3 qts per oil change (3000-4000 miles or so).

Mine burns oil. About 2 qts per oil change. I just keep a couple qt's of oil in my trunk

Old 03-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If you find metal shavings/filings in the oil pan you should be very concerned. That would indicate the beginning of the end for that engine. So, have the oil changer pull a sample out near the end of the oil drain and check. If no metal is present, thank Mt. Fugi and monitor oil level closely.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:56 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Basically you have no idea if you are leaking or burning the oil.

So do a full oil change, and replace the cooler o-ring. Top it off with 5 qts of oil and then let the car sit for 4 hours or so and THEN pull the dipstick and see where the oil mark is. It should be near the top of the hashed area.

Now drive. Every couple of days, when the car's been parked for at least 3-4 hours (to let oil drain and settle) pull the dipstick and check.

When it's near the bottom of the hashed area, thats'a about 1 qt low.

If you suspect you are leaking, leave your engine undertray off for a few days. It won't hurt anything. Put some cardboard under the car when parked, and when you drive, stick it in your trunk and replace it when you park again. Yes, you will look like a hooptymobile for a week or so, but you need to understand if you are burning or leaking oil.

If you are a burner, start keeping qts of oil in your trunk. At this point brand won't matter and you'll find topping off 1-2 qts of Mobil 1 gets expensive quick, so you may want to reconsider brands (gasp...but isn't Mobil 1 the only oil to run!) and losing 3 qts in weeks is VERY excessive. Most oil burning 3.5's here use maybe 2-3 qts per oil change (3000-4000 miles or so).

Mine burns oil. About 2 qts per oil change. I just keep a couple qt's of oil in my trunk
Thanks!

Sorry if I looked confused.

Update however:

I am replacing the O ring today. Dealer is a bit far from where I live.

I went to my local autoparts store and picked up some oil, a purlolator PureOne Oil Filter and the a Dorman replacement O ring.

After it is replaced, I will do an entire oil change and monitor my oil precisely.

Should be fine when it comes to metal shavings.

Just lucky I caught it missing oil before I ran it to the ground.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by markc
If you find metal shavings/filings in the oil pan you should be very concerned. That would indicate the beginning of the end for that engine. So, have the oil changer pull a sample out near the end of the oil drain and check. If no metal is present, thank Mt. Fugi and monitor oil level closely.
Will look into the oil once I get it out of the pan.

I believe I should be okay however.

I stopped hearing the grinding sound and engine vibration from before is gone.

VQs are generally strong NA except for those pesky piston rings.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 PM
UPDATE:

Replaced the O Ring today. Dropped in a PureOne filter, and Castrol Edge Oil. Running very smooth. No more leaking.

Will be checking for burning oil.

From the amount of oil gunk on the old filter, cooler, and around the area, I think most of it just leaked out over a period of time. Definately would change the o ring out and not wait out on it like I did. Almost killed the engine like that.

Everything else is good. No metal shavings came out. Should be good to go from here on out!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CV35Driver
Hey Guys, been following the forums for a while now.

Today, I had the intention to replace my thermostat in the G. I live in a town house with my cousin and that requires me to move the car from the parking to my house driveway and move his car out the way.

Anyway, I go to start the car this morning and to my surprise, it begins tapping like a ****. It was odd. I check the dipstick and there was absolutely no oil. Odd enough, there was oil when I checked last week.

I topped the oil off with 3 quarts and check the dipstick whichx brought the level back to normal. I between the L and H.

The tapping sound went away and the the sound that I heard while driving, thought it was rocks went away as well.

My O ring on the oil cooler needs replacing is all.

Any thoughts on what this could be. My dad put some special engine treatment before he gave it to me and it kept the crank and Pistons lubed.

I feel that I should get another oil change done.
Its your Oil cooler ring. When mine developed a hair line crack at the OEM dealer oil change it lost 1/2 qt a day.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by maxxcool
Its your Oil cooler ring. When mine developed a hair line crack at the OEM dealer oil change it lost 1/2 qt a day.
Yes! Ever since I replaced, my undertray has been dry and all has been well.

DOMO

Old 03-11-2015, 04:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CV35Driver
Yes! Ever since I replaced, my undertray has been dry and all has been well.

DOMO
excellent

Old 03-18-2015, 05:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Similar thing happened recently in my sedan. I replaced my oil cooler o ring and also my oil pan gasket. There is a gasket for the pan, but infiniti used silicone. I did the gasket + grey silicone. The splash shield under the engine can hide leaks very well, you may want to check it out just in case.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by bryanr
Similar thing happened recently in my sedan. I replaced my oil cooler o ring and also my oil pan gasket. There is a gasket for the pan, but infiniti used silicone. I did the gasket + grey silicone. The splash shield under the engine can hide leaks very well, you may want to check it out just in case.
When I lifted the car, the oil pan was dry and all was well.

I am mainting my oil level daily and checking for leaks and burning.