G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Refinement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calejohnson
Hype is defined as deception or promotional publicity of an extravagant or contrived kind. Wards has given an honest opinion of the VQ35 and for 11 consecutive years has awarded the engine it's ten best award. That, my friend, is not hype.

Wards goes on to say about the engine, "The VQ V-6 family, which comprises several displacements in other markets, started in the U.S. as a gem-like 3L that instantly caused a commotion in the powertrain sector with its scintillatingly low levels of noise, vibration and harshness, spectacular flexibility and high specific output."

I guess not everyone agrees with you that the engine lacks sophistication.

And if you find "no pleasure" from driving the car it's clearly not the right car for you.

Just an observation.

Cale
I have an 04 G35 sedan with auot trans and love the engine sound when I get on the car. But when I am driving normally on I95, I don't have any engine noise..wind noise ..yes. I have never had the pleasure of driving a BMW on the HWY. I did drive a 325 locally and was surprised as to how little car I would get for such a high price. True, the BMW has always been praised as to refinement...won't try to argue with that, just to expensive for what they give you. If prices were closer, even though the beamer has less HP, I may have still looked at that in a serious way as 0-60 in 6.2 or 7.2 doesn't concern me as long as it is not 10.2 (LOL). I agree with calejohnson,If you hate your G, go for the beamer.

Last edited by G35sedanman; 02-22-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by dude9
This is an interesting thread in that you have ex-BMW guys getting into G35's. I am looking to get into an 05 performance sedan myself (4 doors a must) and noise is a consideration.

Have reduced my choices down to G35 6MT and 330i ZHP 6MT. Test drove both and have to say the BMW is very smooooooth and takes turns like nothing I've ever driven. It is far more refined inside and feels more precise and tight with very little NVH at all rpms. The 6sp hi perf. transmission of the BMW is superior to the G35 IMHO. If these two cars were priced the same there is no question that the BMW would be my choice.

The G has the torque advantage (althought not by much over the ZHP-equipped BMW). It is a bigger car inside and you feel that immediately as you enter the cabin. The engine is simply excellent but the rest of the drive train can be made smoother IMHO. However where the G35 really shines is the price. Can get it fully loaded for $4.5K less than a comparably equipped 330i ZHP and this is after you include the recent $3800 manufacturer-2-dealer incentive on the BMW.

Since the current 3-series sedan is being redesigned I am hoping that over the next few weeks BMW will offer even bigger incentives to clear dealer lots and make room for the new car. This should bring it more in line with the price of the G. If I can get a loaded 330i ZHP for 35-36K I am taking it. If not, then the G35 is my car (no TL or A4 or IS300 or anything american).
Lots of ex-BMW guys here...

There is a reason. BMW has not raised the bar in years and Infiniti has caught up and in my opinion surpassed BMW in many ways. For less money.

Me?

I am an ex-BMW guy. Over the last ten years I have owned 1-E36 M3, 3-E36 3 series, and two 5 series BMW's. (not at the same time). I was a driving instructor for the BMW car club of America (BMWCCA) and loved BMW as much as anyone. So why do I now have an 05 G35 coupe and a 05 G35 sedan? With the product BMW is building I just can not justify the additional cost. Money is not the object. I feel the Infinitis are better overall cars.

Good Luck

Old 02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Edwin
Considering the hype about the Nissan 3.5L engine (10 best and all that) I'm just really surprised how raucous and unpleasant the engine noise is. I really take absolutely no pleasure from extracting the performance this engine offers (and it does offer plenty) due to the noise and vibration. The drivetrain is just has so much more NVH than I'm now used to having driven my '93 325i for the past 7 yrs. In fact, it reminds me of my old Miata in so many ways (thrummy engine, gearbox). I drive the 6MT and on the overun during gear changes, the noise is like the Subaru my friend drives.

Its just that the drivetrain to me doesn't seem to live up to the sophisticated and elegant exterior styling.

Just my $0.02.

Oh Boo Hoo you frickin babies. "Waaaah, theres too much vibration! Its hurting my hands!" You pussies. I'm playing the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin for you dorks. If the NVH is so bad to where you "take absolutely no pleasure from extracting the performance this engine offers", then trade it in and get something else. But dont be a cry baby and make us read your bitching.

Last edited by ck700sl; 02-22-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Agreed. I just switched from a 95 BMW M3 to an '05 G35 sedan.

I was all-but-set on a 330 sedan and had driven several of them. One drive in the G35 and one look at the list prices of both cars was all it took.

The G35 has a better motor, more features and a longer warranty. To get a BMW 330 with somewhat-equivalent features, I would have had to spend well over $10k more. I mean, I love bimmers and all, but what a joke! In truth, I like the looks of the bimmer better, but the G35 is far from ugly... especially when cost comes into consideration.

I'll miss my M3, but the G35 is one hell of a replacement!

Old 02-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by ck700sl
Oh Boo Hoo you frickin babies. "Waaaah, theres too much vibration! Its hurting my hands!" You pussies. I'm playing the world's saddest song on the world's smallest violin for you dorks. If the NVH is so bad to where you "take absolutely no pleasure from extracting the performance this engine offers", then trade it in and get something else. But dont be a cry baby and make us read your bitching.

Steady on there.....just expressing my opinions like the next guy while looking to you guys for some feedback on whether the situation is typical of G35s or if theres a problem with mine!

Like I say to my 3yr old...calm your body =8)

Last edited by Edwin; 02-22-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edwin, I think you should get your G checked out. Maybe find some local G owners and ask them to take yours for a spin, and you do the same with theirs. I can barely even hear the engine of my Coupe at 70mph with the stereo turned off.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:38 AM
engine noise

Well, you guys may be coming from BMW's, but try driving a Civic Si with a CAI at 8000RPM. Or my most recent vehicle, a 97 4x4 tacoma with 31x10.50 tires and 4:56 gears. The growl of the g's engine between shifts is music to my ears, and the vibration from the road/engine transmitted through the shifter just makes me feel that much more connected to the car.

Jeremy

Old 02-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I kinda getting used to it now. It definitely helps to have the stereo on. Even at low volume.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Edwin
Considering the hype about the Nissan 3.5L engine (10 best and all that) I'm just really surprised how raucous and unpleasant the engine noise is. I really take absolutely no pleasure from extracting the performance this engine offers (and it does offer plenty) due to the noise and vibration. The drivetrain is just has so much more NVH than I'm now used to having driven my '93 325i for the past 7 yrs. In fact, it reminds me of my old Miata in so many ways (thrummy engine, gearbox). I drive the 6MT and on the overun during gear changes, the noise is like the Subaru my friend drives.

Its just that the drivetrain to me doesn't seem to live up to the sophisticated and elegant exterior styling.

Just my $0.02.
My 2004 G sedan Auto trans is very quiet save for some wind noise. I love the sound when I get on it, it positively growls. I wish it was somewhat louder cause it is music to my ears. When driving normally either on Hwy or backroads, it is quiet engine/trans wise. I think the EL-42 tires are noisier than the replacments will be. However, I have had the car for 1 year yesterday , have 12300 miles on it and aside from a window rattle (I think there is a bulletin for this) the car is great. Maybe you should sell it and look for a pre owned beamer.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by infocalypse
Agreed. I just switched from a 95 BMW M3 to an '05 G35 sedan.

I was all-but-set on a 330 sedan and had driven several of them. One drive in the G35 and one look at the list prices of both cars was all it took.

The G35 has a better motor, more features and a longer warranty. To get a BMW 330 with somewhat-equivalent features, I would have had to spend well over $10k more. I mean, I love bimmers and all, but what a joke! In truth, I like the looks of the bimmer better, but the G35 is far from ugly... especially when cost comes into consideration.

I'll miss my M3, but the G35 is one hell of a replacement!
I agree with your thoughts. I have loved the looks of the BMW 3 series for quite awhile. And, the M3 is a car that I dream of owning. However, the 3 series cost more than I want to spend and the M series is totally out of my price range. BMW gives to little car for to much money. Listen up BMW and maybe, next time, we can be customers.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35sedanman
I agree with your thoughts. I have loved the looks of the BMW 3 series for quite awhile. And, the M3 is a car that I dream of owning. However, the 3 series cost more than I want to spend and the M series is totally out of my price range. BMW gives to little car for to much money. Listen up BMW and maybe, next time, we can be customers.

I agree, and once you start adding options to the BMW, the price just keeps going up and up- it makes my head spin!

Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM
awm
This is an interesting thread for me, as one of the first things I noticed about my '04 5AT was how similar it felt and sounded to a BMW 525 I drove awhile ago. And, by "sounded," I mean both engine sound and the solid sound of the door closing, for example. A friend familiar with both noticed the same thing, too, though he noticed it more with regards to the sound of the engine. In fact, it was the first thing I thought of, in an almost deja vu sense, when I first fired up my G...

My only real noise complaint with the G was when driving over old interstate pavement at highway speeds. The road noise was significant. I switched my tires recently to the all-season Pilot Sport 2's, and the noise has dropped considerably. I had the Turanzas, and heard about some of the horror stories, though had the good fortune of not yet having any mishaps myself. The PS2's are a slightly softer tire compound and this might be what's responsible for the reduced noise. Regardless, it's easier to hear on my cell phone on the highway than it was...

Edwin, I'd follow some of the advice offered by members here and see if you can't hear what other G's sound like. If there's no prob with yours after that, try switching tires.

Andy

Old 02-24-2005, 10:21 PM
I had a 2001 BMW 330Ci and really enjoyed the car. In comparison to the G, I have to say that it was smoother and felt a little more tight. However, the 330 felt like a really big car. It reminded me of a Grand Prix I once had....not a big car, but felt big. OH YEAH...and it was always in the shop!!!