G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 sedan manual bye bye engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
When I had to replace my engine, I got one from 123engine.com, all-in with shipping and what I got back from the core it ended up being about $2200. If you can do the install yourself, it's worth it. Labor on an engine swap from most shops will end up being about $3000. I don't see a rev-up motor listed on their site right now, though.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR4
its always better to start with a virgin car to mod..
Yes I agree. But there aren't any decent 05 sedan manuals clean titled for sale. I've been looking for a few months. I needed to get a car asap. (old one died) so I bought the car with the most promise. The car will last a while even if I had to leave the old motor. But that aside. I had to get a car. Not going another however long without one. The other option was a 120k miled car with a salveage title for 11k. Another 140k miler with salvage title, an 07 with 97 for 14k (but I like the 05 sedan much better). It's not like it's a brand new car from a lot... Options were very limited. I was looking for advice on where or who was a reliable motor retailer... But instead I get flamed for not buying a lower miled car? Believe me if there was An 05-06 with 70k I'd have been all over it... But there wasn't in the whole Pac nw. Soo I tried. What's wrong with getting a used motor or rebuilt? I'm not planning on selling it for a looong time. So I don't care bout resale value too much. (kinda obvious I would think seeing how I bought a higher miled car. Who would buy a car with over 200k? So no I don't plan on getting much when I'm done with her. Prob bout 5 years I might replace her.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
When I had to replace my engine, I got one from 123engine.com, all-in with shipping and what I got back from the core it ended up being about $2200. If you can do the install yourself, it's worth it. Labor on an engine swap from most shops will end up being about $3000. I don't see a rev-up motor listed on their site right now, though.
Wow thank you!! Finally someone was helpful!! Humanity is restored!
Ok I will check them out. Thank you for helping and not ragging on how worthless me and my car are

Old 08-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
$11K into a 170K mile, 10 year old car is not a good thing....especially considering even with the aftermarket engine it's probably a $5-6K car tops.

Your goals are lofty as well. I'd touch base with guys with 500HP TT cars and see exactly how reliable and streetable they really are.
That's why I was going used engine so it'd be 8 grand tops and have lower miles on the engine. Again there were no decent cars available especially a 4dr manual!! None!!! If I didn't have a 100lb Doberman maybe a coupe would've worked. I can't make a decent car just appear for sale. Is it awesome that it has higher miles? No!! But it is what it is. Soo let's go from here. Not captain hindsighting things.

Lofty goals... Probably.. too much? Maybe? Sti's are slow to me. 500 for that car easy. Awd helps.. it's a goal that I though might be good. Maybe 500 to the crank is better for the g? I don't know yet that's kinda why I joined this site.. I have a lot more reading to do.
But you guys sure taught me a lesson.. people on this site are for the most part arrogant uninformative and not helpful in the least.
(mustang you wernt a dic so not really referring u here) Whosurbuddy isn't my buddy. I don't carry dolls for boys from the 80's around.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
An IPP stage 1 motor is worth more than your car.
this post here^ OP wasnt a dik post at all. unfortunately it is/was true.
thats not bagging on your car either. thats just the sad truth about these cars nowadays.
you got a little bent out of shape lol .

Old 08-10-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Pretty simple, find a used low mileage anywhere in the world. I found a DE with 30k miles for $1900 shipped from British Columbia for example. I heard awful things about jasper btw. But I would never buy a rev-up. Too many issues. EVT failure, paper gaskets blowing out, same rings as the DE with higher redline... Whatever you are estimating cost wise, double, triple it. Did you consider the costs of going FI? Enjoy the headache. Get used to it. Make lists. Most of us here do our own labor because 1. it is expensive as soon as they hear "infiniti" and 2. shops techs suck, period.

And awww. Your first butt-hurt sesh from buddie. Let's all share this precious moment. He just informed you of the truth, these cars aren't cheap and you F'd up by buying the rev-up.

You have two options here, keep mouthing off or shut up and listen to the guys who are offering you help.

DE/ Revup rods fail at ~~425Wtq

Regarding a rebuild, you should find someone who has done these day in and day out, this is no LS1 rebuild. You need an experienced qualified engine builder. I would personally go with a shortblock from a place like IPP if you are looking for over 400tq/450hp. Perhaps now is the time since the engine is already blown. Pull it, send them the block, get your new one, assembly, base map tune, break it in, get a real tune, drive happy. Squeeze turbo kit install in there if you wish...

Orrrr find a low mileage used. Turbo it, and it will blow months later, then you'll have your built bottom end waiting.

But if you can't do all of this yourself, forget it. Unless you have $35000 laying around to pay a shop to install a built motor and turbo kit.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Gookiecrunch
Lofty goals... Probably.. too much? Maybe? Sti's are slow to me. 500 for that car easy. Awd helps.. it's a goal that I though might be good. Maybe 500 to the crank is better for the g? I don't know yet that's kinda why I joined this site.. I have a lot more reading to do.
The problem is it's very expensive to make power on these motors. They were well engineered to begin with, so getting more power out of them is tough. Forced induction is required, but when you start getting up to 500HP+, your concern should be components on the lower end failing.

At the end of the day, to achieve those power levels you are going to need a custom ground-up build with selected components, and a competent shop, or just slap some parts together and cross your fingers and hope it stays together.

Then you will need to factor in supporting mods as well. Exhaust, computer tune/map, additional cooling capability, trans mods/cooling, etc etc.

If you don't know how to do this on your own, I would suggest reading, and reading, and reading some more. Search around and see what other people have done, and how they've been holding up and what sort of budget you realistically need. A lot of these guys doing high HP builds are also doing it themselves for the most part. They might have a builder doing the short block, but then they assemble the rest and select the parts.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I've just been there before with these high power builds (on other makes). If you think you can get it done for $5K, double that. It's all the little things that end up costing you in the long run.

Not trying to pick on you, and we don't know your technical ability at all so we might be making an incorrect judgement, but all too often we see someone who buys a G35 and watches a little too much fast & furious and comes in here with the initial mindset of slapping a turbo on their car 2 weeks later and making 700HP. It's not personal, it's just kind of how things are these days. You can only take so many tinted taillight questions, lowering questions and LED spaceship headlight questions before people just get snappy.

The following users liked this post:
Lartytiejdke3 (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
Pretty simple, find a used low mileage anywhere in the world. I found a DE with 30k miles for $1900 shipped from British Columbia for example. I heard awful things about jasper btw. But I would never buy a rev-up. Too many issues. EVT failure, paper gaskets blowing out, same rings as the DE with higher redline... Whatever you are estimating cost wise, double, triple it. Did you consider the costs of going FI? Enjoy the headache. Get used to it. Make lists. Most of us here do our own labor because 1. it is expensive as soon as they hear "infiniti" and 2. shops techs suck, period.

Ya I've heard of bad things from jasper but also good with their warranty.. But that's exactly the type of infoI was looking for. So thanks for that.
Yes I have figured about 24000 for going turbo including the ipp stage 2 motor with supporting mods. I'll do what labor I need to do, I could install it myself, but there's a reason I quit working as a mechanic. the back doesn't like hanging over a good all day. So my time is worth more than a mechanics. I'd rather work, than work on my car. I can pay for that. Clutches n things I can do in my garage.. my friend owns An autoshop so I can do the motor swap there. (plus I get the used motor cheaper than listed on say car-parts.com) I pay for parts and about half rate to install.
And Ya shop techs are not to bright.. 1 maybe 2 steps above a lube tech.
And awww. Your first butt-hurt sesh from buddie. Let's all share this precious moment. He just informed you of the truth, these cars aren't cheap and you F'd up by buying the rev-up.
he may have, but he also had no info on what I was asking.. like who to get a decent motor from. which is what I was asking.. not if my car was worthless.

You have two options here, keep mouthing off or shut up and listen to the guys who are offering you help.

I am listening, to those who help. My guitar is worth more than my car.. pretty useless info huh? Why even say that? But to be a dic? Maybe if I was about to buy one then Ya maybe pretty useful. But then u try to find a decent sedan sports mt6 with low miles. They're not out there but once in a blue moon.

DE/ Revup rods fail at ~~425Wtq

Hence why I want a built bottom end and possibly the stage 2 ipp or equivalent. But I don't think I need that much of a build for what I want... And it's not for street racing.. it's not a race car at all! I'd get a frs or brz spec miata or something like that if I want to go road racing.

Regarding a rebuild, you should find someone who has done these day in and day out, this is no LS1 rebuild. You need an experienced qualified engine builder. I would personally go with a shortblock from a place like IPP if you are looking for over 400tq/450hp. Perhaps now is the time since the engine is already blown. Pull it, send them the block, get your new one, assembly, base map tune, break it in, get a real tune, drive happy. Squeeze turbo kit install in there if you wish...

Yes exactly that's why I made this post... To find a decent rebuilder.. I could have my buddies shop rebuild it, but I have no idea if the machine shops have done any vq's let alone know any quirks that go with building them. So I'll prob go with ipp cause they seem most adept at them so far.

Orrrr find a low mileage used. Turbo it, and it will blow months later, then you'll have your built bottom end waiting.

Not an option.. waste of money to install then remove to install again on another motor 2-3months later.

But if you can't do all of this yourself, forget it. Unless you have $35000 laying around to pay a shop to install a built motor and turbo kit.
Everything but a rebuild I can do. I've done 240sx Sr, rb, at to manual swaps. Rx7's installed everything for a na rx7 I could. I worked at a couple shops as a mechanic. I'm plenty capable to do work.. just no time to and I'd rather not get dirty anymore. It's why I do what I do so I can pay others to work.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Everything but a rebuild I can do. I've done 240sx Sr, rb, at to manual swaps. Rx7's installed everything for a na rx7 I could. I worked at a couple shops as a mechanic. I'm plenty capable to do work.. just no time to and I'd rather not get dirty anymore. It's why I do what I do so I can pay others to work.
Good to hear, you'll be just fine. There's tons of info here. Amen to the paying others to work, I'm not there yet myself. That's why I said (probably last) build thread, lol.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
The problem is it's very expensive to make power on these motors. They were well engineered to begin with, so getting more power out of them is tough. Forced induction is required, but when you start getting up to 500HP+, your concern should be components on the lower end failing.

At the end of the day, to achieve those power levels you are going to need a custom ground-up build with selected components, and a competent shop, or just slap some parts together and cross your fingers and hope it stays together.

Then you will need to factor in supporting mods as well. Exhaust, computer tune/map, additional cooling capability, trans mods/cooling, etc etc.

If you don't know how to do this on your own, I would suggest reading, and reading, and reading some more. Search around and see what other people have done, and how they've been holding up and what sort of budget you realistically need. A lot of these guys doing high HP builds are also doing it themselves for the most part. They might have a builder doing the short block, but then they assemble the rest and select the parts.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I've just been there before with these high power builds (on other makes). If you think you can get it done for $5K, double that. It's all the little things that end up costing you in the long run.

Not trying to pick on you, and we don't know your technical ability at all so we might be making an incorrect judgement, but all too often we see someone who buys a G35 and watches a little too much fast & furious and comes in here with the initial mindset of slapping a turbo on their car 2 weeks later and making 700HP. It's not personal, it's just kind of how things are these days. You can only take so many tinted taillight questions, lowering questions and LED spaceship headlight questions before people just get snappy.
I get it.. I'm 38yrs old.. I've only seen the first ff and thought it was absolutely horrible. I hate the tinted tail lights. I will only lower if it improves the handling.. koni's and eibachs generally are better than most coilover setups. Not for looks. If it adds any understeer.. it won't happen. I'm not a "kid" Ive been around the block. (mostly on startup till the smokes done&#128521

I want help not to be told how dumb I am for wanting to put in a rebuilt or used motor.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Amen to the paying others to work, I'm not there yet myself.
I don't think i'll ever be there. I certainly can afford it, but for me its what helps me relax.

I love nothing more than ordering parts, waiting for the brown truck to show up, and then escaping into the garage after the kids have gone to bed to turn a few wrenches and decompress.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Good to hear, you'll be just fine. There's tons of info here. Amen to the paying others to work, I'm not there yet myself. That's why I said (probably last) build thread, lol.
If you think you can get there... You have a good chance of doing it. It's been 6 years since I've modded a car.. and now look what I'm doing... There will never be a last. Haha
Anyways thanks for being decent man. I appreciate the insight. Now I'm going check out your build.
Why did u go awd?

Old 08-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So it's my first g35, beautiful car btw, and I got her cheap with higher miles 167k. Had her bout 7 days... I knew the motor was going but it's worse than I thought. Motors basically done. Burns oil, valve guides and seals, rings, rms, and probably the oil filter gasket too. Whomever owned this thing needs to be beaten! Anyways, I need a rebuild, crate rebuild, or used motor that will more than likely have the same issue. From what I gather on these rev up motors it's the rings, pcv valve, (already have the pcv delete, but it's kinda mute at this point) so I'm thinking get a used motor installed. Then get the old one rebuilt, or buy a crate motor from somewhere.. (been researching but I don't know who's reputable now days.. Seems most info I saw was 2009 or 13 so direction there would be cool)
End goals are a tt reliable dd built to be reliable bout 550 to the ground with more on tap if I got a hairy butt one day but prob not used much, track able but not trying to be the fastest. Just for fun. Mostly a rompable street machine. The stage 2 from import parts pro looked good.. but I know nothing of them.. my mind links them to discount import parts here in Portland.. so that's not great haha. Anyways if I got my motor rebuilt it'd take 3 weeks and I don't think it would be close to the spec of that import parts motor.. let alone if the shops know how to rebuild a vq with its quirks in rebuilds. Anyways what do you guys/gals think?

Oh btw the rest of the car is immaculate. Solid steering still (not a sloppy old car feel) no wrecks, just a garbage engine. Even with 5k for a motor swap I'll still b under 10 in. My thought going in anyways. Lol
I am not even going to read the expected flame fest that is below. but here's my 2c from the interwebs.

550 is to much, you do not mention the model, so likely your not LSD, you will need to buy and install one. I DEEPLY and STRONGLY suggest not going over 3.5FD. you will just melt your tires and end up in a ditch.

Shoot for 400 at the wheels and SERIOUSLY go to a driving club that has classes.. the g35's LIKE to kill their drivers. I am not kidding.

Twin turbo sounds awesome. but unless you are installing it yourself you will need around 20k to start buying parts. BTW you will >*no*<t install a TT to the 'current engine'. it will simply explode after your second drag race. you need a new bottom end.

the current engine is scrap. go IPP, or not at all. you need it all... after-market rings, after-market valves, after-market remanned heads, after-market exhaust, after-market intake manifold, after-market intake, engine bay hard modification,

here is a block for 7k$ that's 'decent' http://www.the370z.com/importpartspr...at-prices.html

engine 7K
manifold and intake (matched) 1k
full exhaust 2-3k
ECU and flasher and tuning software 1-2k unless you have someone else do it.. then its 600-1k

then the TT kit .. and everyone will have a opinion .. but here's the take away . if your not spending 10k. your GOING to have a blow up, and start over.

all in all. my opinion being 2c grain of salt and the internetz. this is the wrong car to go full tt on unless your flush. And I mean you have 30k sitting in the bank flush that you can spend without remorse.

300-400 is 'ok' for REBUILT TO SPEC stock.
400+ can and likely will cost you upwards 3-4k a year in broken parts and fixit projects in addition to running 15$ per quart oil, and tranny fluid.

oh I did forget you will need a new massive tranny cooler if you live in a hot zone.

if you have the 30k... go IPP and find a infinity pro-shop that's within driving distance. go visit the shop BEFORE buying a single part.. don't get a good vibe, move on.

note, not being a dick at all. **these cares are expensive to TT ... when done RIGHT** .. and sexy ****ing awesome when done..

Old 08-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by maxxcool
I am not even going to read the expected flame fest that is below. but here's my 2c from the interwebs.

550 is to much, you do not mention the model, so likely your not LSD, you will need to buy and install one. I DEEPLY and STRONGLY suggest not going over 3.5FD. you will just melt your tires and end up in a ditch.

Shoot for 400 at the wheels and SERIOUSLY go to a driving club that has classes.. the g35's LIKE to kill their drivers. I am not kidding.

Twin turbo sounds awesome. but unless you are installing it yourself you will need around 20k to start buying parts. BTW you will >*no*<t install a TT to the 'current engine'. it will simply explode after your second drag race. you need a new bottom end.

the current engine is scrap. go IPP, or not at all. you need it all... after-market rings, after-market valves, after-market remanned heads, after-market exhaust, after-market intake manifold, after-market intake, engine bay hard modification,

here is a block for 7k$ that's 'decent' http://www.the370z.com/importpartspr...at-prices.html

engine 7K
manifold and intake (matched) 1k
full exhaust 2-3k
ECU and flasher and tuning software 1-2k unless you have someone else do it.. then its 600-1k

then the TT kit .. and everyone will have a opinion .. but here's the take away . if your not spending 10k. your GOING to have a blow up, and start over.

all in all. my opinion being 2c grain of salt and the internetz. this is the wrong car to go full tt on unless your flush. And I mean you have 30k sitting in the bank flush that you can spend without remorse.

300-400 is 'ok' for REBUILT TO SPEC stock.
400+ can and likely will cost you upwards 3-4k a year in broken parts and fixit projects in addition to running 15$ per quart oil, and tranny fluid.

oh I did forget you will need a new massive tranny cooler if you live in a hot zone.

if you have the 30k... go IPP and find a infinity pro-shop that's within driving distance. go visit the shop BEFORE buying a single part.. don't get a good vibe, move on.

note, not being a dick at all. **these cares are expensive to TT ... when done RIGHT** .. and sexy ****ing awesome when done..
I don't think you're being a dick at all I agree 100% with what you've said. I am most likely going ipp stage 1 or 2. I have been to multiple driving schools.. a friend and I used to have drifting events in Portland or. Pir and Portland meadows. I just tossed the car (day before yesterday). Slides ok.. really heavy though (had a 240 before for drifting...big weight difference). I can't prove my driving skills over a forum.. But I feel I'm decent.. I have yet to crash while drifting.. (and that's in the past anyways I don't drift much anymore, we'll except the other day haha) I alotted 5k for the stage 1 ipp, 10,000 for the greddy tt, 5 for supporting mods, plus 4 for anything else I missed.. I figured 24,000 would be enough to get me where I wanted.. But that's why I'm on here to learn what I might be missing. Like a trans cooler (although I'm in Oregon.. Not exactly hot here) so I'll have to look into that.
But Ya man all correct and I agree. I was never planning on using the current motor for anything but a core charge. Cause it's still a good core.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
If you think you can get there... You have a good chance of doing it. It's been 6 years since I've modded a car.. and now look what I'm doing... There will never be a last. Haha
Anyways thanks for being decent man. I appreciate the insight. Now I'm going check out your build.
Why did u go awd?
Maxx. that was some serious insight ^.

Gookie,

I started off with AWD because I didn't have a choice, the car was given to me at 16. But damn the AWD system sucks, somehow drifterXG has been able to make it last quite some time TT'd. Now 5 years later and I have turned it into what I always wanted (soon). I always wanted a 6 speed manual RWD version of my X so I started doing it... First person to go from AWDAT to RWD 6 speed I'm pretty sure. And I'm going greddy TT! It will be cool, but I'm lacking a built engine. Since I am doing labor myself, it won't cost me extra $ when it blows up I hope. Honestly I think I'll have to call it quits to car modifying for a while after that because the cost/hp curve is getting steeper by the day. Theoretically it would just require the built bottom end, assembly costs, and more fuel but I'll cost that out down the line. What I'm going for now is a quick car to take to the strip and have fun on the streets for 30,60, maybe 80k miles if I'm real lucky. I want to pop the hood and see some googlie eyed friends too, lol.

I can't help you much since you're running a rev-up.... But it sounds like you are ready to take the plunge and you know what you are doing. I'll leave it to the guys who have been through the built engine thing before... Good luck with the build!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 sedan manual bye bye engine