G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 sedan manual bye bye engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxxcool
I am not even going to read the expected flame fest that is below. but here's my 2c from the interwebs.

550 is to much, you do not mention the model, so likely your not LSD, you will need to buy and install one. I DEEPLY and STRONGLY suggest not going over 3.5FD. you will just melt your tires and end up in a ditch.

Shoot for 400 at the wheels and SERIOUSLY go to a driving club that has classes.. the g35's LIKE to kill their drivers. I am not kidding.

Twin turbo sounds awesome. but unless you are installing it yourself you will need around 20k to start buying parts. BTW you will >*no*<t install a TT to the 'current engine'. it will simply explode after your second drag race. you need a new bottom end.

the current engine is scrap. go IPP, or not at all. you need it all... after-market rings, after-market valves, after-market remanned heads, after-market exhaust, after-market intake manifold, after-market intake, engine bay hard modification,

here is a block for 7k$ that's 'decent' http://www.the370z.com/importpartspr...at-prices.html

engine 7K
manifold and intake (matched) 1k
full exhaust 2-3k
ECU and flasher and tuning software 1-2k unless you have someone else do it.. then its 600-1k

then the TT kit .. and everyone will have a opinion .. but here's the take away . if your not spending 10k. your GOING to have a blow up, and start over.

all in all. my opinion being 2c grain of salt and the internetz. this is the wrong car to go full tt on unless your flush. And I mean you have 30k sitting in the bank flush that you can spend without remorse.

300-400 is 'ok' for REBUILT TO SPEC stock.
400+ can and likely will cost you upwards 3-4k a year in broken parts and fixit projects in addition to running 15$ per quart oil, and tranny fluid.

oh I did forget you will need a new massive tranny cooler if you live in a hot zone.

if you have the 30k... go IPP and find a infinity pro-shop that's within driving distance. go visit the shop BEFORE buying a single part.. don't get a good vibe, move on.

note, not being a dick at all. **these cares are expensive to TT ... when done RIGHT** .. and sexy ****ing awesome when done..
Oh I forgot to say it's a premium (all 4 Windows roll down when I hold the unlock button on the fob) and its a sports model. (red struts) definitely lsd. Slides just fine bout 720 fine at 50 mph (parking lot so no speed.. lol)

Old 08-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents are get a good running low miles stock engine swap it in and stay at 400whp and stay reliable. Totally understand the idea of making a fast sedan I just think you will end up spending a lot more money than its worth and a lot more headache. 400whp will still surprise a lot of cars. Spend the extra money on a faster none DD.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:49 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
just do a 5.3 swap. you can do this for relatively cheap. make really good reliable power and not break anything. including the bank.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by evil00017
My 2 cents are get a good running low miles stock engine swap it in and stay at 400whp and stay reliable. Totally understand the idea of making a fast sedan I just think you will end up spending a lot more money than its worth and a lot more headache. 400whp will still surprise a lot of cars. Spend the extra money on a faster none DD.
I like your 2 cents Haha anyways I found a 50k 06 rev up 350z motor for 1k and grabbed it. (i know rev up blah blah) grade A from car-parts.com. so hoping it's good. Installing at my buddies shop, replacing rms, clutch, any seals easily accessible. Doing rear diff mounts maybe backlash as well. (thunking coming from the right rear on hard shifts into 3,4,5) maybe driveline bushing too? Anyways I'll find out soon enough prob just get the polyurethane bushing kit for the car. then the old engine will be sent ipp as a core for the turbo motor, all the rest will be done outside the car till it's fully ready to install with supporting mods..
Hp to the wheels... Who knows..maybe 400 is more reasonable.. but then I could just go supercharged. I'll just have to see how I feel at lower #'s. From what I've driven and experienced 500hp May still be what I want. but anyways that's why I joined, to research and see what needs to be done to achieve it. Or to not do it and go for 400-450

Old 08-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by andrewvk
just do a 5.3 swap. you can do this for relatively cheap. make really good reliable power and not break anything. including the bank.
What motor is that? V8 I assume? I'll have to look it up.. I really love the sound of the vq though. Kinda why I bought the car. I gas it just to hear it sometimes.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Vortec 5300....a GM small block V8 engine.

Dime a dozen engine really that you can beat the **** out of and will take it.

V8 swap is another option.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
yes and no on the small block part. the 5.3 is the lsx based engine so the outside dimensions are all the same. so small block big block isnt really a thing anymore.

now on the older motors. the difference between small block and big blocks were much larger. you couldnt interchange parts.

but you can pick up an iron block 5.3 for about 500$ do a cd009 adapter, and put together your own engine mounts. long tubes. fluids. harness, ecu and a tune. you will be in for about 5-6k to get the motor in and running if you are buying off the shelf parts. but you will be looking around 350hp and gobs of torque. staying NA you cant beat it. as well as having a big motor in a smaller car, you will be getting better mileage than you would with your 3.5

my ls1 240sx net me over 35 mpg highway and high 20s in town. cant beat it. im putting together my 5.3 g35 this winter. shooting for 400hp. will be reliable, cheap parts. and better fuel economy.
you try getting 400hp out of a vq and have it be remotely reliable. just not possible.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewvk
yes and no on the small block part. the 5.3 is the lsx based engine so the outside dimensions are all the same. so small block big block isnt really a thing anymore.

now on the older motors. the difference between small block and big blocks were much larger. you couldnt interchange parts.

but you can pick up an iron block 5.3 for about 500$ do a cd009 adapter, and put together your own engine mounts. long tubes. fluids. harness, ecu and a tune. you will be in for about 5-6k to get the motor in and running if you are buying off the shelf parts. but you will be looking around 350hp and gobs of torque. staying NA you cant beat it. as well as having a big motor in a smaller car, you will be getting better mileage than you would with your 3.5

my ls1 240sx net me over 35 mpg highway and high 20s in town. cant beat it. im putting together my 5.3 g35 this winter. shooting for 400hp. will be reliable, cheap parts. and better fuel economy.
you try getting 400hp out of a vq and have it be remotely reliable. just not possible.

Heard the clutch/flywheel is a larger diameter than the bell housing of the CD009. Can you confirm that there is such thing as an adapter plate that will work? Most run T-56 trannys when they go LS no?