G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Should I go straight G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Should I go straight G?

Hello everyone. I'm looking into buying a g35 sedan. I like the g37s, but they're too round, I sort of like the 35s edges, especially in the 03-06 models. And the big tail lights.

Anyway, is there a reason I should NOT buy one? Is there a reason I should NOT be a g35 enthusiast? :P

I have a son on the way, so I have to let go my enthusiasm for Fieros and direct it elsewhere. G35s have always caught my attention, and the pricing in them is getting too low to ignore. $5,000-13,000!

I've searched around on the forums and I can't see 1 single problem that everyone seems to have. On an l67 (3800sc Gm engine), you usually worry about gaskets, the problems ignoring failed gaskets give you, and power steering it seems.
I've thought about GTPs in the same year range, HUD and their dash seems a little cool, but GM cuts corners on their interior, and the GTP supposedly can't handle like a G35 can.

I probably won't tune a daily driver Sedan, but I might do exhaust work (as long as it keeps that sweet resonant sound), suspension, and wheels. Enough to make it look nice. However if G35s is the route I take, I'd likely get another sedan or coupe and tune it. I don't have a project right now (other than studying linux stuff).

Is there a reason I should stay away from G35s/Nissan products?
Pricing? Dependability?
I've had a tercel with a 4efte and another with a 3sgte, and had a TC -- their parts were a little pricey. I still have a Yaris with 210k miles and 0 repairs ever. All my GM's parts were cheap but not nearly as dependable. 2 accords, an integra, and a boosted crv for a little bit (all semi dependable).

I had a Nissan Maxima a while ago, it had a lot of problems. Like failing MAF sensor, ignition coils went out 2 or 3 times, o2 sensor, rough idle at startup, etc. It was rough. I didn't know if I just had bad luck or if Nissan improved any.

Also the 1st few years, some cars models tend to have problems (like Fiero, gtps, etc), then progress in later years. Are G35s the same? Or are the 03s just as good as the 07s?

Looking to buy a sedan soon with my savings, if it's only like 10k, I can squeeze some by the wife to get a mod or two.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I have a 2005 with 206k miles on it. I just had my first problem lately, all 5 right rear lugs sheared off. Completely my fault. I would go with an a/t in am 05+ due the oil leaks in rev-up (6mt in 05-06). Also 05-06 have larger brakes than 04-. If you go awd, then the larger brakes are only 06. I have never had my ac serviced and have to run it at 85 to keep from freezing and it gets to 120 where I live.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 PM
Did you not tighten them completely and the wheel wobbled them off? That happened once on my first car (Dodge Stratus). It would click/grind when I turned to the right... Then my lugs snapped off on the front driver tire one day.

I'm not too worried about the oil or OC issue. It looks like an oil catch can takes care of most of that (so I researched). I live in Texas so the AC thing is good to hear. And thanks a lot for the brake info. That'll definitely come into play in my decision making.

This sounds awesome, I always wondered if there was a stylish sedan with that kind of dependability I want. Can't believe I was considering a GTP, hahah.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
Catch can doesn't always "solve" the issue but it does help. If you really want to tackle that issue completely you'll need to replace the valve cover/gasket and replace the piston rings. Knock all of those out and you're golden.
Few other issues include;
- MAF cleaning
- Cam Position sensor replacement
- wheel bearings
- doors closing on their own

Not too many serious issue with the motor, just keep up with fluids/maintenance and it will last. Some parts can be had for fairly cheap, usually Nissan will be cheaper. Lot of junked Gs as well, so wouldn't be hard to find a small part that you'd like to find.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
I bought my '06 G35x almost 5 years ago with 64K miles on it. I'm up to 105K now, and have not had to service much. Fortunately, the G is pretty DIY friendly, so if you're a handy person repairs won't cost an arm and a leg. In the time I've had my G, I've had to replace both rear calipers (seized due to road salt, no problem where you live LOL) and a front axle (torn boot, all the grease puked out of it). But, if you're looking at a RWD G, you won't have any axle issues either. And I replaced one cam sensor as mentioned above. Overall, it's been very reliable, and rides awesome. Good luck on the search for your new ride!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Reasons to not get one:

Oil consumption on Rev-Up engines. Gas mileage isn't great. Factory stereos are extremely failiure-prone and doing a decent replacement is going to run $600+. Like The Fixer, I had a rear caliper seize, but I don't live in a salty area, so I think humid areas will do it too. The dashboard is prone to splitting along the bottom edge. The paint on the plastic parts isn't great.

... and #1 reason - yes, they're a great price, but beyond the engine and transmission, replacement parts are still significantly more expensive than for a non-"luxury" vehicle.

But, I own two, so I definitely think the pros outweigh the cons by a huge margin.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
if you can afford it, get the G37.. it's a big improvement over the 1st gen.

but if you are looking to spending only $7k ish.. go for the 05-06..

just try to skip the 03-04.. no matter how cheap. too many small issues..

Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
if you can afford it, get the G37.. it's a big improvement over the 1st gen.
I've thought about the G37 as well. They're getting cheap too. I may wait to purchase a car, the beginning of tax season might deliver many cheap g37s.

Aside from that, there's a LOT of great info here. I'm not to worried about small repairs. I've done mechanical and body work before, mistakenly, as career choices. I just don't want something like constant head gasket failure due to different block and head metals, or crank walk, or steady failing expensive sensors.

I looked into the brembo brakes and stuff, a lot of people said they're expensive but really - they're the same price at auto parts stores as my Yaris stuff. If Infiniti is the same as toyota prices, I got this.

So I'm assuming there's nothing out of the ordinary to look for in used Gs?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Only reason I can say not to get one is that they are older cars now with higher miles and sometimes onto their 3rd and 4th owners by not. Maintenance between the owners may not be consistent, or recorded and a lot of the later owners may not care as much as the original owners.

Common issues?

Oil consumption
front suspension rattles (compression rods)
rear brake caliper seizures
camp position sensors
Wheel bearings (I've changed 4)

It's a lot of little dinky stuff.

Honestly, i'd go G37 if you can afford it. The G35's look dated and finding one in pristine shape is going to be much harder than G37's which seem to be everywhere now

Old 10-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Only reason I can say not to get one is that they are older cars now with higher miles and sometimes onto their 3rd and 4th owners by not. Maintenance between the owners may not be consistent, or recorded and a lot of the later owners may not care as much as the original owners.

Common issues?

Oil consumption
front suspension rattles (compression rods)
rear brake caliper seizures
camp position sensors
Wheel bearings (I've changed 4)

It's a lot of little dinky stuff.

Honestly, i'd go G37 if you can afford it. The G35's look dated and finding one in pristine shape is going to be much harder than G37's which seem to be everywhere now
Good point. Is this wheel bearing thing coming from aggressive drivers? I've had to replace them in my yaris about 6 times. Timken, north American, duralast, you name it... I break them all. Best method to avoid it in my car is corner like a regular driver
However I think I hear a drone noise again. Not sure yet.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Chriswf
I've thought about the G37 as well. They're getting cheap too. I may wait to purchase a car, the beginning of tax season might deliver many cheap g37s.

Aside from that, there's a LOT of great info here. I'm not to worried about small repairs. I've done mechanical and body work before, mistakenly, as career choices. I just don't want something like constant head gasket failure due to different block and head metals, or crank walk, or steady failing expensive sensors.

I looked into the brembo brakes and stuff, a lot of people said they're expensive but really - they're the same price at auto parts stores as my Yaris stuff. If Infiniti is the same as toyota prices, I got this.

So I'm assuming there's nothing out of the ordinary to look for in used Gs?
I think if you search the forum, there's probably 812 threads on people asking about used G35's.. the answers to all your questions are in there...

I think most people will say get the g37, but looks like you are sold on a g35..

Old 10-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I think if you search the forum, there's probably 812 threads on people asking about used G35's.. the answers to all your questions are in there...

I think most people will say get the g37, but looks like you are sold on a g35..
Haha I read all day dude. I have a tech support job and my phone rings but a few times a day. And I'm not really a Reddit or nudey pics kind of guy... So I spend it reading about cars when I'm not studying. I just want the most up to date knowledge I can find.

I do like the g37s. I'd like more power across the board, and the upgraded navigation system sounds very cool. However the all wheel steering sounds strange. I've read that it's more active than other cars that I've driven with all wheel steer. I'd probably want to avoid that, which may make it a little more difficult to find the right g37.

I'm just such a tail lights kind of guy. That's everyone will see anyway MUAHAHAAA! (jk... kind of.)

For example I'd NEVER buy a GS300 with the small rounded tail lights. If I were given one, I'd sell it. However... Those long Aristo tail lights are right up my alley.
It's weird what each of us loves about cars, huh?

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i say aim for 05+ if your going the g35 route i just picked up 05 sedan 6mt with 112k and i gotta say it handles pretty good i came from an 05 bmw 330ci it handels similarly if not better(although the bmw sits lower).

Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Haha I read all day dude. I have a tech support job and my phone rings but a few times a day.
I want your job.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Good point. Is this wheel bearing thing coming from aggressive drivers? I've had to replace them in my yaris about 6 times. Timken, north American, duralast, you name it... I break them all. Best method to avoid it in my car is corner like a regular driver
However I think I hear a drone noise again. Not sure yet.
I don't think so. I'm not really the aggressive, plus I have a baby seat in the back so I tend to drive very "gently".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I go straight G?