G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Can someone please clarify this for me?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is wrong with my clutch?!

Okay, so about 1.5 years ago, I got an Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch and lightweight flywheel installed. I am experiencing clutch chatter. But at this point, I am quite confused what clutch chatter really is. Some people refer to it as the rattling noise that the clutch/gearbox makes when the clutch is not depressed, which I certainly experience, but isn't a problem for me. But people also refer to it as the harsh vibrating and shaking that the clutch produces when launching, and I definitely experience that, and I absolutely hate it, and it's what this post is all about. So my first question is, is clutch chatter the noise or the violent shaking?

Now, as for the noise, I believe that has been going on since the moment everything was installed. As for the shudder, I am not positive but I don't think this has been happening consistently for the past 1.5 years now. If it has been, I would have made this post a long time ago. Are both of these things normal, because the research I've done suggests that the noise and the shaking are, with installation of a lightweight flywheel. Like I said though I don't mind the noise, it's the shudder that bothers me. People have said that an Exedy stage 1 ORGANIC clutch should not produce "chatter". And on top of that, people said that "chatter" should go away after the clutch breaks in. It's been about 15k miles since the install so I don't think that's the case.. What's weird is that the severity of the shuddering isn't consistent. A few weeks ago, the shudder was AWFUL. I'm talking the whole car would shake violently. Then it randomly seemed to go away completely after I got my car washed, which is weird but I doubt there is any connection , and now, it's back but not as bad.. Can someone please enlighten me with information please? What's going on? Was the install done improperly?

Last edited by jdubin94; 12-11-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Clutch chatter is inconsistent grabbing of the clutch disk to flywheel when you are releasing the clutch and sending power to the driverline. It's usually jerky, and have a pretty indistinguishable sound that is universal to all stick cars. It sounds like a jerky, rattling noise and you might feel some vibration in the driveline. It's basically the clutch skipping.

Generally it's thought to be the result of contamination on the disk (hydraulic fluid) or hot spots or areas of reduced friction due to glazing. Installing a clutch without resurfacing the flywheel (or a new flywheel) can cause this issue.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Mustang nailed it.

It can also be the result of using the clutch to hold the car in place on an incline instead of the brake.