G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Noise right from wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise right from wheel

Well guys haven't been on in a while but still trying to figure out a problem I have been having for quite some time. Best way I can describe it is it sounds like a playing card in a bike tire. It happens when coming to a abrupt stop and continues during acceleration until I let off the gas and goes away. After that everything is back to normal. If I don't let off the gas it continues. i should also mention if I am at a stop I can hear it as well but turns into almost a vibration but if I put the transmission into neutral and back to drive all is well again. If I take off with the noise happening and let off the gas there is movement in the shifter almost like a bad mount but that much noise off a bad mount not quite sure if it is the problem. I am to the point where replacing the transmission is in question although it doesn't shift bad at all or show any signs of problems. I have replaced the tires, front brakes, steering rack and tie rods so none of those are in question. Thanks guys for any help you can give in my search for a solution.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
What are you driving? RWD? AWD?

If AWD, check your front driveshaft universals. I had a similar sound 1-2 days before my front universal failed. It sounded like a playing card in spokes noise. In fact, I was going to check my front cv axles that weekend, when the universal failed on a Friday.

The noise sounded like it was coming from the right front wheel. That's because the front driveshaft passes up the right side of the car and connects right at the frontCV axles. I was actually going to pull a wheel off and check my CV axle.

And yes, ever since my driveshaft fell off on the highway, I tend to do a lot of PSA's about checking your driveshaft universals now. I'd still have my car if I was a bit more proactive with this.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
How do you check your u-joints? Will they be so bad that they're sloppy if you get under there and push/pull on them with your bare hands? I have some noise that I can't tell where it's coming from and is wheel speed dependent when I'm on the gas and goes away off the gas like the OP. I can hear it best when there is something next to the car to reflect the sound back into the cabin. Can't hear or feel it otherwise. So most of the time I drive around oblivious and then drive next to a highway barrier and am reminded I need to check this out.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:27 PM
Sorry should have put it in there that it's rear wheel drive not all wheel drive

Old 08-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
You probably have a bad wheel bearing or axel cv joint. im thinking more wheel bearing...usually the wheel bearings sound like a loud deep humming noise around 40 mph. But I had a bad wheel bearing that ticked at slow speeds. take you wheel and brake rotor oof and spin the wheel bearing. if you hear even the slightest ticking noise when you spin it, then replace it

Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Noises are a bitch and impossible to find unless you get your G on a rack! Like with all suspension noises I suggest you locate an "Independent Brake/Alignment Shop" in your neighborhood. Don't bother with the dealership, they'll keep replacing parts until the noise stops costing you major $$! Wheel bearings don't make noise when your car is stopped...even if your wheel is about to fall off!
Gary

Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Calipat916
Sorry should have put it in there that it's rear wheel drive not all wheel drive
If it's RWD then you don't have a front driveshaft or CV axles to worry about.

Jack up that front pass wheel and spin it and see if you hear anything. You might have to pull the wheel off and poke around a bit. Could be a wheel bearing, coule be something in the brakes, could be the dust shield hitting the rotor.

Unfortunately, short of being in front of the car and looking for ourselves, not much we can do to help you. You'll either need to investigate yourself, or take it to a shop

Old 08-25-2016, 09:04 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I've been trolling this thread since it started to see if the cause of the noise is identified and/or addressed. I have also had the "card in the spokes" ticking coming from the rear for 75K miles. Unlike the OP's issue mine is constant and I can only hear it in a tunnel or driving past a highway barrier with the windows down. I've had 3 shops I trust look for it and I have spent a ton of time looking for it myself to no avail. Since it hasn't gotten better or worse in 75K miles I just kind of forgot about it, especially since I haven't driven the G much in the last year, damn GTO..................

Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 AM
I got under mine and found the front drive shaft u-joint completely shot. I can't believe it hasn't come apart as I've been driving with this ticking noise for at least a couple of weeks. The slop was huge. There's a video on youtube called G35 front driveshaft u-joint or something like that that looks just like mine. I would much rather have spent this $400 on a new bumper.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
I got under mine and found the front drive shaft u-joint completely shot. I can't believe it hasn't come apart as I've been driving with this ticking noise for at least a couple of weeks. The slop was huge. There's a video on youtube called G35 front driveshaft u-joint or something like that that looks just like mine. I would much rather have spent this $400 on a new bumper.

Just be thankful you caught it. I literally was a day or so away from getting under my card to find the source of the noise, and then this happened. In my case, it happened at 80MPH. Damaged the trans bellhousing, and did something to the differential as it slowly was leaking diff fluid from somewhere. Since a diff replacement requires pulling the engine, I sold the car off for parts. I would gladly pay $400 at this point if I caught in time as I'd probably still be driving it. Now I spend my days trolling the forums telling people to check their U-joints.

[img][/img]

Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I didn't have any noises on my 06 G35x from the driveshaft, but I got up under the car to check it out. I shook the driveshaft and twisted it and there was no play. I'm at 171K miles so I was expecting to see it shot already. I'll keep an eye out on it!

Old 09-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Just be thankful you caught it. I literally was a day or so away from getting under my card to find the source of the noise, and then this happened. In my case, it happened at 80MPH. Damaged the trans bellhousing, and did something to the differential as it slowly was leaking diff fluid from somewhere. Since a diff replacement requires pulling the engine, I sold the car off for parts. I would gladly pay $400 at this point if I caught in time as I'd probably still be driving it. Now I spend my days trolling the forums telling people to check their U-joints.

[img][/img]
Wow that really sucks! At what mileage did this happen? I have a 2005 G35X with just over 71k miles so I hope I don't have to worry about this for a while! BTW I found your wheel bearing replacement guide very helpful. Had to replace 2 front bearings since we bought it last November. One of them had been replaced previously.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:36 AM
That happened right around 170K miles...give or take

Old 09-28-2016, 08:25 AM
I know the OP had a RWD so this isn't what's causing his noise. But I had to replace my front driveshaft due to slop in the front u-joint. I paid ~$330 for a Dorman shaft from Rockauto with 5% coupon code + $210 labor at local indy because I wasn't optimistic about getting my catalytic converter off. Even if I could reach the nuts, they are so completely rusted that I thought my sanity was worth a couple hundred.

Here's a couple photos showing the damaged propeller shaft. It looks like it was pretty close to complete failure. Reading this forum surely saved me from Mustang's fate.

Attached Thumbnails Noise right from wheel-img_3238.jpg   Noise right from wheel-img_3237.jpg  
Old 09-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by jbarnett250
Here's a couple photos showing the damaged propeller shaft. It looks like it was pretty close to complete failure. Reading this forum surely saved me from Mustang's fate.
I've come to the conclusion that this is a pretty common failure that hasn't been discussed much to this point.

Given that failure at speed cost me my car, I'd pretty much urge anyone with a higher mileage AWD sedan to get under there and inspect the front propeller shaft.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise right from wheel