G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Best "budget" stock tire for 2006 G35x sedan?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I hope they treat you as well as they have me. Post up your feedback here when you have some miles on them.
Ok, winter's over and the salt/sand finally was washed off the road. Got to put some miles on them, and they are a damn impressive tire.

They stick well, and when I drive around you can actually hear the rocks and such they pick up and throw around the wheel wells. Just runny my hand over them after a drive feels tacky.

Got to throw the car around, and got on it hard through 1st and 2nd gear and they hold, which is MUCH better than the toyo's I had on the previous set of wheels. Even under hard braking, they hold well, and I didn't get any premature tire lockup.

Unsure how they will wear, but I don't care. I really only put ~100-200 miles a season on the car. I've got a motor build underway, hoping for ~330HP at the wheel before I add the supercharger...so that will be the real test.

I don't think I've posted a pic of this car on the forum after all the years I've been here. This was first car, and what i drove in high school, and I've owned it ~20 years now.

(Yes, those are Corvette C5 front brakes)

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 04-18-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Ok, winter's over and the salt/sand finally was washed off the road. Got to put some miles on them, and they are a damn impressive tire.

They stick well, and when I drive around you can actually hear the rocks and such they pick up and throw around the wheel wells. Just runny my hand over them after a drive feels tacky.

Got to throw the car around, and got on it hard through 1st and 2nd gear and they hold, which is MUCH better than the toyo's I had on the previous set of wheels. Even under hard braking, they hold well, and I didn't get any premature tire lockup.

Unsure how they will wear, but I don't care. I really only put ~100-200 miles a season on the car. I've got a motor build underway, hoping for ~330HP at the wheel before I add the supercharger...so that will be the real test.

I don't think I've posted a pic of this car on the forum after all the years I've been here. This was first car, and what i drove in high school, and I've owned it ~20 years now.

(Yes, those are Corvette C5 front brakes)
I enjoyed reading your thoughts and posts here, but now that I see you have a fox body we can't be friends...

Just kidding that's sweet. Glad you could hold onto something that long!

The following users liked this post:
Mustang5L5 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I'm glad you're happy with the tires. They have a UTQG of 400 so wear shouldn't be an issue. And for around $130 a tire in my size for the GTO (245/45/17) I don't think they can be beat for performance vs. value. I just know when I wear out the tires on the G she's getting a full set of Comp 2's as well.

Gorgeous Stang!

Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Another option is Ohtsu tires. They are made by Falken and basically whenever they come out with a new version of a tire, they rebrand the old version as an Ohtsu. Since the molds have paid for themselves by that time, they can sell them for less. That's what I currently have on my G35. Ohtsu 612s which have the same tread pattern as the previous Falken 612s. They are fine for a touring tire, very quiet, excellent in the rain but turn-in is a touch mushy.

Had to bring this back up. I just replaced some worn out (6 years old lol) Potenza RE760's on my old G this week. Owned by the GF now and all she cared about was price. Getting a competent tire under $100/ea. is a challenge that I gladly accepted. Shopped around reading reviews of the Ohtsu 612's and I decided to go that route. I don't remember this thread but searched the forum to see if anyone ran them and here we are. I think you and I think a lot alike the more I read your posts lol.

They are sold exclusively by Discount Tire here in Texas and I've gotta say they pretty much rock for the price. I haven't tossed them around hard yet but initial impressions are really good traction, quiet ride and they've got a really cool tread pattern. Come with a 40K mile treadwear warranty so with the G's alignment in factory spec on all 4 corners I expect for her to get a lot of miles on them. She drives like a grandma so I probably won't have any long term reviews but so far we're happy. Still loving the BFG gForce comp 2 a/s on the GTO though. The more I push them the more I like them.

And to divert momentarily, do you use the Optimum Hyper Polish spray? I think I'm going to go that route this time instead of the Megs 105/205 combination before I hit it with the Gloss Coat.

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Yeah, I use Hyper Polish. Only Meguiars stuff I use now is the M100, which has more cut, better finish and less dusting than #105. Opti-Coat comes with Primer Polish, which is exactly the same as Hyper Polish but with an activator for the coating included. Got a ton of it since Optimum gives us a 2 oz bottle per kit and I maybe use 25% of that...just not practical for them to put it in an even smaller bottle I guess. Let me know if you want some.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:44 AM

^PM sent

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.