G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Mechanical key

Old 04-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanical key

New member. Bought 2005 g35x sedan. If the battery goes dead in the keyfob can you start the car with the key even if the ignition **** is in the lock position? Just a little confused when reading the manual.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:40 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
As Mustang5L5 suggested in your other thread, you can unlock, start, and drive your car with either your main mechanical key or the valet key. You do not need the rest of the i-key fob to run the car.

But I recommend getting used to the i-key because it's really a great system. For example, if it falls out of your pocket while you're driving, the car won't let you lock it until you find and remove the fob. No more accidentally locking your keys in the car. Furthermore, if you put the fob in the trunk and close it, it pops back open. I wish the front door of my house could be programmed to recognize the presence of my G's i-key!

One thing you should know; if you start the car with the fob in your pocket then step out and somebody else drives away, they will be able to continue but will not be able to restart the car (because the key won't be present).

Also to help you: from the manual:
The Intelligent Key continually consumes battery power as the key receives a signal to communicate with the vehicle. Battery life is about 2 years, although it varies depending on the operating conditions. When the battery of the Intelligent Key is low, the green blinking key warning light goes out about 30 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. If the battery runs down, replace it with a new one.

That green "key" symbol in the instrument cluster usually goes out as soon as you start the car. But if it blinks for a while it's telling you the fob's battery is low.

What may be confusing you is the paragraph a bit later:
Because the ignition switch is electronically controlled, if the battery is completely discharged when the ignition switch is in the LOCK position, the steering lock cannot be released and the ignition switch cannot be turned (including the mechanical key). Be careful not to completely discharge the battery.

That is a reference to the car's main battery, not the fob's battery. in other words your 12V main battery must be connected for you to be able to turn the ignition switch. Make sense?

Last edited by 05_SkylineSedan; 04-15-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mechanical key

Thank you for the clarification.For some reason the valet key will not start the car but the key in the fob will. I was confused with the battery in the car and the battery in the pod .I was just worried that if the battery in the fob went dead, I would be stranded.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
If the valet key is the same physical cut (if it can unlock the door) then it means the car has somehow lost it's ability to read the "chip" molded into the key's handle. Your metal fob key has a chip also. I don't know for sure but I believe the dealer, or a shop with the right diagnostic gear, can teach your car to recognize another key so you could add the valet key... If it is NOT the same physical key then there's no point.

Your car should have come with 2 fobs, 1 valet key and a wallet key - which can only unlock the door.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.