G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

fluids change. What am I missing??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fluids change. What am I missing??

Weekend weather is looking pretty good thought id get this tackled, is there anything else maintenance wise in the area ill be that I should do while im at it??

Amsoil ATF - for the Transfer case - 2qts (only uses 1.2qts)
Amsoil Severe Gear differential fluid 75w-90 - 2qts (front uses .6qt same with rear)
Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil 10w30 5qts

Amsoil ATF - for the transmission I have read that apparently it can be bad to swap out the trans fluid in practice of good maintenance... i haven't noticed any slips or weird shifts it seems rather *knocks on wood* good.... should i even mess with this??? how ever I haven't even checked it.... storms today have put that off

*also doing air filter, oil filter.

thanks for taking the time to read and for any input. Im going with amsoil cause there is a guy who sells it out of his garage down the road and I love the way its treated my bike.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
It's generally recommended to stay away from 3rd party ATF fluid. However, I've heard Amsoil is a great product. I've used Idemitsu in my G for years without any issues and I've used Valvoline Maxlife ATF as well. I recently put in Wal-Mart SuperTech ATF in my Audi after verifying it was compatible with OEM ATF.

I think as long as it's compatible with Matic J or S you should be fine.

Might want to do the coolant (can be a PITA to bleed), power steering, and/or brake fluid.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah the brake fluid while its rather clear in the reservoir, I have it in mind my calipers need some love before the fall and was planning on painting them. and will flush it when that most likely happens! otherwise the coolant is a good idea for sure.

been doing more reading of issues after flushing the transmission fluid, I think im just gonna pass on that lol its not broke so no need to fix it haha. how ever the Tcase and diffs those will be getting done for sure!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I think you'll be fine with a drain and refill. You should be happy the G is really easy to do ATF on it has a drain bolt and you fill it in from the engine bay. I did my Audi last night and talk about complicated...I had to drain it, fill it up underneath the car, and then get under the car while it's running to make sure the correct amount is in there.

If you do the diff and transfer case make sure you get one of those pumps you stick over the bottle or a pressure bleeder. The pressure bleeder is also good when you do your brakes, I have two Motive ones. I use one for brakes and the other for gear oil, ATF, etc...

Old 07-06-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Lurker.aw

Weekend weather is looking pretty good thought id get this tackled, is there anything else maintenance wise in the area ill be that I should do while im at it??
Amsoil ATF - for the Transfer case - 2qts (only uses 1.2qts)
Amsoil Severe Gear differential fluid 75w-90 - 2qts (front uses .6qt same with rear)
Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil 10w30 5qts
ATF - for the transmission I have read that apparently it can be bad to swap out the trans fluid in practice of good maintenance... i haven't noticed any slips or weird shifts it seems rather *knocks on wood* good.... should i even mess with this??? how ever I haven't even checked it.... storms today have put that off
*also doing air filter, oil filter.
thanks for taking the time to read and for any input. Im going with amsoil cause there is a guy who sells it out of his garage down the road and I love the way its treated my bike.
AMSOIL makes great fluids! However, even they don't recommend using their ATF in our Nissan AT's! Drain & Fill is easy, just use Nissan AT fluid...only!
Gary

Old 07-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had my ATF changed by my indie. He used fluid that is not Nissan but is 100% compatible. They are out there.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by sonors
Had my ATF changed by my indie. He used fluid that is not Nissan but is 100% compatible. They are out there.
Compatible? It might take a lesser Auto Trans fluid thousands of miles to totally destroy your AT, you won't know until it starts slipping and missing shifts! A new trans would cost more than most first gen coupes and sedans are worth! Why take a chance? Go with what Nissan recommends, change it frequently and enjoy a great AT!
Gary

Old 07-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Compatible? It might take a lesser Auto Trans fluid thousands of miles to totally destroy your AT, you won't know until it starts slipping and missing shifts! A new trans would cost more than most first gen coupes and sedans are worth! Why take a chance? Go with what Nissan recommends, change it frequently and enjoy a great AT!
Gary
Yes compatible. I asked him if he used the Nissan stuff and he said it's not necessary. He uses a fluid that is perfectly compatible and works fine. I am sure if what he uses is no good he would know it by now and would stop using it. From what I understand, the Nissan "magic" fluid is made by Castrol and sold to Nissan who puts their name on it with all the warnings about how it must be the only fluid you use. My indie knows far more about cars than I do so I trust his judgement. My other car has a CVT in it and he said to have Nissan do the fluid change so it's not like he doesn't pay attention to the nuances of various transmission types and fluids.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by sonors
Yes compatible. I asked him if he used the Nissan stuff and he said it's not necessary. He uses a fluid that is perfectly compatible and works fine. I am sure if what he uses is no good he would know it by now and would stop using it. From what I understand, the Nissan "magic" fluid is made by Castrol and sold to Nissan who puts their name on it with all the warnings about how it must be the only fluid you use. My indie knows far more about cars than I do so I trust his judgement. My other car has a CVT in it and he said to have Nissan do the fluid change so it's not like he doesn't pay attention to the nuances of various transmission types and fluids.
Same with Honda ATF. They recommend using their fluid of course but especially their older Z-1 stuff was hot garbage and a lot of the issues Honda automatics had, Too many friction modifiers for soft shifts. Soft shifts have slip, that's how they are soft and it ends up eating up the clutch packs. Now Honda has DW1 and has made it retroactive to all their automatics. Definitely improves shift feel and improves transmission life. Hot ticket is Redline D4 fluid though and if it is compatible with Nissan automatics, its really good stuff.

My guess is there is nothing magical about Nissan OEM fluid other than they have it blended to give the shift feel they want and much less about wear characteristics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.