G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Clear Bra DIY kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra DIY kits

I think I up to the task of installing my own clear bra.

Anybody have any recommendations for kit suppliers?

Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
I was thinking about that, but glad I didn't do it after I saw how much work went in to doing it right. Sam and Wil (premier mobile group) spent the good part of a day installing the kit and had some special equiptment. W/o experience, it would easily have taken twice or three times as long, and something like this will never turn out right the first time. I figured with this car, I don't want some amateurish looking paint protection. If you end up doing it yourself, good luck.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your concern, but I know "my limitations" this project is well with in my ability.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 AM
NDG35 - yep, clear bra installations is not easy especially if you've never done it yourself. On NDG35's sedan, we tinted 5 of his windows in addition to a full front wrap w/ tucked edges on the bumper and the installation took a little over 5 hrs. Some of the less experience clear bra installers take 4-6 hrs for just the clear bra. If you're willing to give it a try, then you could check out www.xpel.com for their kits...........running about $500 for their full kit. I could get you this kit for about 40% off retail with our Venture film. Do keep in mind that any of the film manufacturers do not warranty their films if it was not installed by an authorized dealer carrying thier product.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
I had considered putting on my own clear bra, but I was able to get a deal from the dealer that only cost me $100 over what the bra would have cost to do it myself. Trouble is that the dumb a$$ installer tried to install a clear bra made for a 2004 G35x Sedan on my 2005 coupe. When the bra would not fit around the air dams at the bottom of the bumper he cuts the bra where it does not fit right and leaves the bumper area under the air dams unprotected! When I inspected the install at pick-up, I pointed out this out to the service manager and refused to pay for it. Everyone was very apologetic and were scrambling to get an answer for me. That's when they discovered that the wrong bra was put on. Also, the part of the bra that was on the hood had scratches where the installer must have had something abrasive on the squeegee during a stroke. In addition, there were bubbles in the bra in several places. I know the small ones will come out as it cures but there a long finger about 1.5"x1/4" filled with water on the bumper. I'm starting to think that this um..."installer" is not very experienced and/or unskilled. My coupe is back at the dealer today to have the correct bra put on. I'm not confident that it is going to be right when I get it back. I'm hoping that my display of disatisfaction will make the dealer put a little more effort into quality control before they give the car back to me.

Moral of the story, the installation is the key. In most cases, I would trust a professional installer to do the job right, especially at an Infiniti dealer. Don't let my bad experience dissuade you from having a pro do it. Just be selective with who you use. Get references and check with the manufacturer to see if the installer is factory authorized ar trained. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I put the hood and mirror parts on, but had a pro do the front bumper. They had to do it twice as they got a lot of green shirt fibers under the film that showed easily on my white paint. The parts I did were easy.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Yep, installation is key. No matter how clear or durable the film is, installation plays a very important role in how an install come out. Even when it comes to those who call themselves "pros", we do plenty of redos from other companies' hack jobs.

When it comes to compound curves, this is where many people get stuck and create wrinkles that end up damaging the film from squeegeeing. Here are some pics of poor installation.........this M3 owner had his done 3 times before finding us through a Mercedes forum..........

And pics of it after we redid it for him.........

Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra DIY kits-105-0556_img.jpg   Clear Bra DIY kits-105-0566_img.jpg   Clear Bra DIY kits-119-1967_img.jpg   Clear Bra DIY kits-119-1964_img.jpg   Clear Bra DIY kits-119-1968_img.jpg  

Old 03-02-2005, 03:48 PM
I had the 3M installed on Monday, and I completey echo what Will is saying. You have to spend time seeking out an experienced installer. I've been in sales all my life, so luckily I've learned how to network. I simply called the Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, and Audi dealerships in the Seattle area to find out who they were using to install. Sure enough, they were ALL using the same detail shop! I called the shop, negotiated a price of $625, and the install turned out perfectly.

I guess the take home message is that it's not worth saving a few hundred dollars for what could turn out to be a crappy install. $600-800 is well worth a quality 3M application in my opinion. You'll eliminate 75% of potential rock chips, and more importantly you'll save yourself 8 hours of labor. I always chuckle at people who brag that they saved $400 on labor costs, but spent their only two weekend days in the garage! My time off is EASILY worth $50/hour, therefore saving 8 hours makes up for that $400. Not to mention the fact that my wife doesn't have to listen to me dropping F-bombs all weekend!!!

Old 03-02-2005, 07:42 PM
BobbyG123 -wow, your wife sounds just like mine.........fortunately, we're busy to the point where I don't even have time to drive my G for several wks at a time. Otherwise, I'll be hearing it from her whenever I detail the car......

Old 03-02-2005, 08:03 PM
I feel much better about the $659 the dealer charged me for mine, new with the car.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:48 PM
After reading this, I may take mine back to the dealer for the clear bra install as well. I was quoted $695 @ Infiniti of Nashville.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:51 PM
I bought mine at Infiniti of Nashville, as well. Mine was probably a little cheaper because it was new with the car.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Had the 3M installed on mine at Rhino lining in Chattanooga TN. They did a great job.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I rember seeing a site from thie forum for a Queens, NY installer. If anyone can send me that link or recommend a place, I'd appreciate it.

thanks, Jay

Old 03-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Regardless of whom you go with, MAKE SURE their quote is for the full kit. That includes the top 1/3 of the hood, bumpers, headlights, mirrors, door jams, and the front part of the front quarter panel.

If they charge you $600 for the hood only, you're getting whacked! Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra DIY kits