G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

The end is near, well it seems that way.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
The end is near, well it seems that way.

story time guys,

I obtained my g35 about three years ago around this time. I happened to fortunate to meet someone who wanted to trade cars with me. Every since then I've loved this car. Loved it. Still do.

A few months ago I started to notice a slight rattle from the bottom end. It would only happen under load, did some poking around and couldn't find the culprit so I decided to live with it. The car has about 160k on it so I just chalked It up to old age lol.

Fast forward to last night I noticed a low knocking sound at idle and I kinda already knew what it was. Trying to convince myself otherwise actually..

Life has really been beating me down lately and this just happens to be another thing that's happened to test my patience I guess.

We have another car which is good but I don't know what to do with my car. It's a very low knock but it's just the beginning so I'm assuming in a few days (even with driving it moderately) it'll get louder and then eventually lock. Do I fix it? I'm mechanically inclined and maybe I can grab a yard motor and do it myself?

Can't decide what to do. Really can't justify putting an engine in a 14 year old car no matter how much I love it. At this point I really don't know what to do. Money has been super tight with the wife losing her job.

What's even more mind boggling is that I always made sure the oil was never low. Maybe I didn't do as good a job as I thought or maybe it was time for it go. I don't even know at this point.
​​
​​​​

Old 09-19-2017, 06:56 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Man that sucks, I know what's it like to deal with major adversity but mine was mostly self-inflicted. the consensus here is it's cheaper/easier to source a used motor than do a complete rebuild. I'd hate to see your car put out to pasture seeing how much work you've put into it to make it yours. I almost sold my G recently and ended up giving it to my girlfriend for an anniversary present. It needed a little love before the swap, got it and now she's running great with 138K miles. She understands the connection I have with that car and we're keeping it alive through her and me.

However I understand you have to do what's best for your situation so I hope things work out for the best whatever route you go. Obviously keep us posted what happens and I'm really sorry the universe gave this to you to deal with.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 AM
Thanks man I appreciate that greatly. The wife wants me to keep it because she knows how much I love it. I'm currently looking for some guys who's done the swap before (its a local maxima and vq club in my city) and hopefully I can grab a yard motor and have it swapped. Found a motor with 95k on it for 750 so there are motors out there that are affordable. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
That's your answer right there. You won't find another comparable car anywhere for $750. You're just going to have to squeeze Lincoln heads until they cry uncle.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:15 AM
Yea your right, seems to be the only option at this point.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
That's my boy! I would have broken down if I had to see my car hauled off, either by a new owner or a flatbed. I'm just curious as to what caused the knocking to begin. I've never had that happen but a couple of my friends have and it's a sickening feeling when you hear it because the sound is unmistakable. And G2's right above, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to fix your car than to buy another used car that you know absolutely nothing about and start the crapshoot all over again.

Last edited by Blue Dream; 09-19-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: doh
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM
Man I've been scratching my head all morning trying to figure out what caused this and I would be heartbroken if I had to junk my car. So the plan as of right now is to wait this out and see what transpires. I'm already prepared to sell my previous wheels, my current wheels and my Tanabe exhaust to generate extra money.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Update.

Just left a shop in the area and he came to the conclusion that it's coming from the timing cover. I don't agree with it all but just wanted to get a shop's opinion. Engine installation would be 895 and they can get me an engine for 800 with 100k. Still shopping around and this is mainly in preparation for the impending doom. Sigh.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:20 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If it's coming from the timing cover it's not rod knock, probably a chain tensioner is old and worn out, not building oil pressure like it should and tightened up the chain. Rod knock us UNMISTAKABLE and the sound echoes LOUDLY through the oil pan with a stethoscope on it.

Get the vehicle up on jackstands, unbolt the lower oil pan section, pull on each rod by hand and check for ANY play, use an inspection mirror and flashlight to check for a spin bearing (should be a straight line directly in line with the rod cap/bearing cap).

Either way it's not the end of the world, even if you have to just park the thing in your backyard under a tarp until the finances are all squared away, there's one thing I know WITHOUT A DOUBT, where there's a will there's a way...

Heck start a GoFundMe or post an ad on Craigslist that you're looking for a donor VQ, if this is your baby then don't sell it...

Old 09-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Hang in there man. The chain tensioner pads could be the culprit and it might be a simple fix. The easiest conclusion on whether it is a spun bearing (which it doesn't sound like) is to drain the oil and check the pan for shavings. Good luck

Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Folks I'm stumped, drove the car to work and everywhere else yesterday and it drove fine. No loud banging or performance issues.

Started it up this morning and it was quiet as usual minus the initial rattle on a cold start and the usual vq chatter. Something else is going on and this is gonna be quite the adventure figuring it out. Changed the oil two nights ago and the oil was fine. No shavings or metallic look at all.

From what I've read if it was a knock the engine would be extremely loud and basically dead by now.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I've seen motors that knocked for a year before dying and ones that knocked for a week.

Did these issues start when you changed the oil? Did you change viscosity? Possibly the oil filter is factory dead and restricting flow or something odd.

If this started after the oil change I would do another one including filter. Never seen a bad batch of oil but defects happen.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 AM
I've noticed a light rattle upon acceleration for a few months now. A few days ago I noticed the slight noise at idle so I decided to change the oil and nothing was different.

Well I'm hoping I'm one of the year ones lol

Last edited by eazdaskeez; 09-20-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Well the end is here. Engine lost pressure on the highway (of all places) when I was on my way to pick up my daughter. I managed to limp it to the emergency lane. So now I'm waiting for the tow company to bring it home. Upset and tired but life has been quite the struggle lately and this is just another thing to add to the list.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Update.

Car got towed home while I went to grab my daughter and of course the tow driver ripped my bumper smh. Called my insurance and they are coming to check it out in a few days.

Spoke to a shop and they said I can get it done for 1600.00 but the shop seemed sketchy so I did some digging and found out that they are super sketchy and have a F rating on the BBC.

Called a better shop that did a swap for my little brother and they said 1250. They are one of the best shops in the area so I can depend on them to do it right.

Then it dawned upon me, can I just do this myself? I actually haven't been to a shop in like 5 years. Anyone have any idea if this is something I can tackle myself with some time and patience? Would be paying 2150.00 (engine and labor and fluids)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.