G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Burned too much oil

Old 09-23-2017, 04:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burned too much oil

Hello guys,

I have a 2005 G35 6MT(Rev up) sedan.
Which is known for burn oil a lot.
Oh mileage is around 75800miles or 122000kms.
So last night when I was in hard breaking.
I saw the oil level light comes on for a second.
Plus some rattle sound comes from the engine bay.
After that I came back home right away and checked dip stick(Which is pretty hard to check)
I couldn't even see engine oil at L(low level).
And I took my car to mechanic in the morning for this problem.
My mechanic measured how much engine oil comes out from car.
Guess what!!! I only had 1L or 1.1qt at 4200kms or 2690miles
I never had oil consumption until now and it just start so badly.
I know I drove hard(Used much redline). Because it was summer season.
But I never took my car to track though.
So my mechanic recommended to get new/used engine or sell the car or get some oil cooler+oil catch can.
However, I think it burns just too much oil than other rev-up engines I researched about.
If this thing happens to you, what would you do first?
Or what should I do..sell the car?

Here is mod list: Motordyne 5/16 spacer(copper), MREV2, DC sports header, Kinetix hfc, Stillen exhaust, Stillen cold intake, Up-rev tune.
I changed my engine oil with oem filter/Motul 5w-30 at every 4000-5000kms.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:08 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Yikes, this is like the third post I've seen with an engine failure.

Used engine can be obtained from a junkyard with a 45 day warranty with prices ranging from 800-1200. If you really like your car this would be your best choice. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Who changed your oil the last time you had it done, are you 100% sure they filled it with 5 quarts? Try doing another oil change/filter, check the oil level daily! Also, check your PCV valve, that being plugged will cause OC. Maybe it was human error not OC at all? And, catch cans have nothing to do with OC! Basically all they do is keep your upper plenum cleaner.
Good luck, I hope this helps...Gary

Old 09-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Our Gs are known to eat oil quickly than most it sucks ya I know, and I dont even have a revup. I have the same problem about the oil light when I step on my brakes whenever I have 1500miles on new oil. I change it ~2000miles or so now, I feel like its just getting worse. Its always good to keep some oil in ur trunk just incase. Some people recommend switching back to Nissans conventional oil. Grabing another VQ engine isnt worth it and I dont think it’ll solve the issue but thats imo

Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A good rule of thumb for EVERY VEHICLE ON THE ROAD is to check your oil weekly, before the engine has been started for the day. Yes the motor is notorious for sipping oil but it can happen in quite a few different ways depending on the point of failure, a catch can will help oil mist from being sucked back up the intake tract, it won't catch it all but it's a LOT better than nothing (good baffled/filtered can, an empty can with no baffles/filters will do exactly nothing), one of the biggest points of OC is downshifting to slow the vehicle. The combination of vacuum in the cylinder and the retarded ignition timing causes a lot more oil to be drawn past the rings than it will during hard acceleration when timing is advanced to the max. Unless I'm being very aggresive with the car I don't downshift until I hit 2000-2200 rpm.

Like Gary said, change the oil and keep running it, CHECK YOUR OIL DAILY to start with and then go to a weekly cycle. Do a compression test on the motor to find out how healthy it actually is, acceptable range is something around 155-185 with higher being better and no more than 10% difference between the highest and lowest cylinder.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by eazdaskeez
Yikes, this is like the third post I've seen with an engine failure.

Used engine can be obtained from a junkyard with a 45 day warranty with prices ranging from 800-1200. If you really like your car this would be your best choice. Good luck.
Yea so sad. I like the vq sound and never gave me problem until now. Will check the local junkyard. Thanks for the reply!

Originally Posted by gary c
Who changed your oil the last time you had it done, are you 100% sure they filled it with 5 quarts? Try doing another oil change/filter, check the oil level daily! Also, check your PCV valve, that being plugged will cause OC. Maybe it was human error not OC at all? And, catch cans have nothing to do with OC! Basically all they do is keep your upper plenum cleaner.
Good luck, I hope this helps...Gary
I'm always beside of my mechanic. When he change my engine oil. So 100% sure it was 5 quarts last time T_T I've watched youtube video that delete PCV valve. I will try those first Thank you for the help!!

Originally Posted by CHIEN05G35x
Our Gs are known to eat oil quickly than most it sucks ya I know, and I dont even have a revup. I have the same problem about the oil light when I step on my brakes whenever I have 1500miles on new oil. I change it ~2000miles or so now, I feel like its just getting worse. Its always good to keep some oil in ur trunk just incase. Some people recommend switching back to Nissans conventional oil. Grabing another VQ engine isnt worth it and I dont think it’ll solve the issue but thats imo
That's what I was thinking too. Another VQ engine will need luck as well. I was research about another sick engine swap. But can't afford that haha. Wonder HR motors way better on OC though. Thanks for the share your experience

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
A good rule of thumb for EVERY VEHICLE ON THE ROAD is to check your oil weekly, before the engine has been started for the day. Yes the motor is notorious for sipping oil but it can happen in quite a few different ways depending on the point of failure, a catch can will help oil mist from being sucked back up the intake tract, it won't catch it all but it's a LOT better than nothing (good baffled/filtered can, an empty can with no baffles/filters will do exactly nothing), one of the biggest points of OC is downshifting to slow the vehicle. The combination of vacuum in the cylinder and the retarded ignition timing causes a lot more oil to be drawn past the rings than it will during hard acceleration when timing is advanced to the max. Unless I'm being very aggresive with the car I don't downshift until I hit 2000-2200 rpm.

Like Gary said, change the oil and keep running it, CHECK YOUR OIL DAILY to start with and then go to a weekly cycle. Do a compression test on the motor to find out how healthy it actually is, acceptable range is something around 155-185 with higher being better and no more than 10% difference between the highest and lowest cylinder.
Oh didn't know catch can does those kind of job haha. Will look into it. Also yes it was my fault that didn't check my engine oil level. Because I always thought I don't have OC yet. I knew it's going to happen when I hit high mileage though. Also will try to to compression check with my mechanic next week. Thanks for the help!!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:45 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Guess I lucked out with mine, 750 miles since the last oil change, 8 full throttle dyno pulls when it was tuned, some hard driving after the tune to see how it felt, 85-100 degree highs, oil level still on the full line. Typically goes through a quart every 5500-6000 miles, don't normally get all the way into it too often. But having had a couple other VQ35 cars (both Maximas) that did use oil, I am in the habit of checking my oil every 500 miles. Good way to catch issues before they get too bad.

Sucks that it's a pain to check the oil on our cars but no real fix to that.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
PCV delete...why? These valves can be cleaned in 15 minutes from beginning to end! Remove, shake it to see if it rattles. Shoot carb cleaner down both ends and shake it for a few minutes blocking the ends. Blow it out if you have air or bang it on a towel to remove cleaner and reinstall! No need to delete or buy a new one. Makes me wonder how good a mechanic you have, checking these valves has been a part of maintenance since they started using them!
Gary

Old 09-23-2017, 08:36 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Am I alone in thinking it's really easy to check the oil on these engines? Did the rev-up redesign the dipstick to make it more accessible or something? Granted you need to check the oil with the engine cold but you should do that on every vehicle so...

Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Am I alone in thinking it's really easy to check the oil on these engines?
I think you are in a pretty solid minority on that one. I find successful insertion is all in the wrist twist at the right moment, but apparently most folks can't or don't master it, or don't know about the "trick."

Old 09-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I do a spin with the dipstick and it goes in fine every time.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Haha I have another honda vehicle that so easy to check dipstick. So I used to that Oh just watched pcv valve delete video from youtube. i won't delete that one. Thanks Gary My mechanic owns 350z. That's why I actually choose this mechanic from local. He did good job on any repair or maintenance for my g35 till now. Hmm but this oc is kind of another thing so. I really wanted hear any knowledge or experiences from G35 community. Thanks again for input guys!!!

Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
With the intake tube (I have an R2C intake), it's being able to clearly see the hole to put the dipstick back. But on road trips, if you just stop for gas, that's not enough time for the oil to settle to accurately check it. So on trips, I check it in the morning at the hotel before I leave.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.