G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Exterior side molding 2003 sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exterior side molding 2003 sedan

The black rubber moldind on the rear drivers side of my 2003 sedan is peeling off. Along with the weather stripping. Any fix for this? Like should i use a special glue or something? Please help me out here.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take a picture, does your vehicle have aftermarket side bumpers or something?

Old 11-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
THAT.... is going to be tough, but you can use 3M molding tape.

First clean the area THOROUGHLY, all dirt/oil/crap needs to be gone, test spot using acetone fingernail polish remover or brakleen to make sure it doesn't discolor the plastic (if you're even concerned with that), don't forget to clean behind the strip itself.

Next, the hardest part is trying to get that bend out of it so it doesn't have a spring effect trying to peel itself back off. I recommend using a heat gun and work the strip really well, be careful and don't scorch the paint but get it nice and pliable then use masking tape in a perpendicular fashion (so it wraps under the car and up into the door sill) to hold it while it cools. You will need leather gloves because that area is going to be hot and you need to hold it in place until it's fully cool.

Finally use some 3M Molding Tape, it's used for adhering all sorts of automotive stuff and should work for this application, you can order it through Amazon if you use them.

Amazon Amazon

They also have it in a 7/8" wide, measure to see what would be the best, you don't want it to show so err on the side of smaller, you will likely need to use scissors and cut a few narrow strips to build up enough depth to fit into that groove since it's not flat.

Another more permanent option is epoxy PUTTY, tape off the area well just to make sure you don't get excess on anything, it will cure 100% rock solid and you will never get it off so I'd try the tape first.

The following users liked this post:
claytonwholmes (11-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Smile

Perfect. Thank you!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.