G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 g35x fan issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 g35x fan issue

About 2 weeks ago, noticed my cars temp gauge was bouncing a bit (normal was always a line or 2 below half way), and a small hand full of times borderline Hot on the way home from work. and as well that my engines fan was now on while running regardless if car was cold or hot. parked the car in the driveway and took an infrared temp. gun to various parts of the motor/block its self as well as coolant hoses, radiator etc. and the hottest anything reached was 193*

So I assumed that the engine temp sensor, a simple 30$ part would be the first plan of attack, and with out hesitation poped the old one out and put the new one, the gauge now seemed fine but the fan issue stayed.... I then thought "I just put a **** load of air into the coolant system". bled it via the inline bleeder by the firewall/ battery. drove it and it seemed to go away, couple days later fans started up right on start up, or while out on lunch at work,I would jump in and drive and they would only come on once the gauge was at its normal position a notch or 2 under half way. so said **** it and bought a new thermostat, radiator cap, did a coolant change, even went as far as while at it did an oil change and both old coolant and old oil looked fine and not mixed or contaminated in the least bit so not majorly worried on it being a headgasket.

my question which is probably obvious but... WHAT IN THE ****. the overflow tank is steady in-between the min and max lines, while cold or hot, the engine temp gauge is mint, the only things left I can think of is potentially the fan relay? or the fans themselves? or that there is still actually air in the coolant system and needs to be bled more even though iv done it about 4 times now and even invested in the special coolant funnel jazz. the heat in the car is good, see,s it could be hotter but not a whole lot.

currently whats happening is say in the morning jump in the car and head to work, when the gauge reaches its normal dash or 2 under half way on the temp gauge, either the fans will kick on, or give it about 5-10mintues and they will kick on. its gotten to the point where i take the same route every morning and i have it pin pointed as to what tree the fans will kick on in front of.

any ideas suggestions or thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:18 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Is it still overheating? You get a little vague at the end of the post and it sounds like you are saying the problem is that the fan turns on when the engine is up to temp... which is working as intended?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a smiliar problem and i cant figuer it out myself my car was overheating bought news fans car still got then got new thermostat car still hot. Then i notice the fan wasnt turning on still so i bought new fuse and now the turns on fine but wont shut off and the car is still overheating what could it be

Old 11-15-2017, 12:04 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It could be blockage in the radiator, bad relays, bad signal to control the relays, defective thermostat, bad radiator cap, defective fans, bad temperature sensor, faulty wiring, bad water pump. Rather than throwing parts at the car and wishing for the best it would be more prudent to spend $150 for the dealership to diagnose the problem and tell you exactly what needs fixed. Then you can decide how to proceed in repairing.

You can also use the FSM to do the troubleshooting steps yourself.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/inf...e-manuals.html

CO is the cooling section

Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Is it still overheating? You get a little vague at the end of the post and it sounds like you are saying the problem is that the fan turns on when the engine is up to temp... which is working as intended?
After replacing the temp sensor, the engine temp gauge is working perfectly, goes right to its old original running level on the gauge and no overheating, once the car essential reaches its operating temp the fans come on and stay on until the car is shut off and of these past couples years owning this car thats never been the case.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:12 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Once it's up to temp the fan operates at two speeds, low speed for normal temp and high speed if it needs extra cooling, mine only goes into high speed if it's REALLY hot outside, low speed does the lions share of the work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.