G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Question for those drivers who will only drive a stick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those drivers who will only drive a stick

I decided on the G 35 sedan somewhat by default because some of my other choices-Audi 6, M45, Acura RL do not come in a stick (I hate the new look of the BMW 5 and the BMW 3 is too small and I don't like Volvo S60R). So for me the G wins by default and I am not saying that it isn't a terrrific car but I would prefer like AWD and a super interior with my stick. Do other drivers who will only drive a stick feel very limited in their choices and maybe settled somewhat in their selection of the G35 stick.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Not me, I wanted the G and waited for the 6MT to come out. I settled for my IS300 manual because the G35 6MT wasn't out yet. I then traded the IS in on my G35 when it was released.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Pretty much any car in this segment that isn't offered in stick is too soft anyways.

Cars offered in stick:
Volvo S60R (car owns, don't know why you don't like it)
3 series
G35
IS300 (not really interesting anymore)
TL
CTS
A4

The only thing that really isn't offered in stick is the C class. The RL isn't a direct competitor of the G35 so we won't count that one.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by BrianV
Pretty much any car in this segment that isn't offered in stick is too soft anyways.

Cars offered in stick:
Volvo S60R (car owns, don't know why you don't like it)
3 series
G35
IS300 (not really interesting anymore)
TL
CTS
A4

The only thing that really isn't offered in stick is the C class. The RL isn't a direct competitor of the G35 so we won't count that one.
I don't like the S60R because it is a 5 cylinder turbo that loses some responsiveness in hot weather. Plus I am not thrilled with the front wheel biased AWD and the car has reliability issues based upon reading Swedespeed forum posts. The TL has way too much torque steer to even consider, CTS has the typical GM plastic interior, and the new A4 doesn't come in a stick.

BTW the C class is offered in a stick but not the fourmatic models.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by Corgidog
I don't like the S60R because it is a 5 cylinder turbo that loses some responsiveness in hot weather. Plus I am not thrilled with the front wheel biased AWD and the car has reliability issues based upon reading Swedespeed forum posts. The TL has way too much torque steer to even consider, CTS has the typical GM plastic interior, and the new A4 doesn't come in a stick.

BTW the C class is offered in a stick but not the fourmatic models.
Well I don't know about the BRAND new A4, but the 2000-2004 ones were.

Old 03-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Uhh...S4?

Old 03-04-2005, 05:29 PM
My problem with the S4 is at the price those are going for (mid 50s?) I don't want something that resembles an A4 1.8 which goes for low 30s. At that price I wouldn't get an Audi 4 which is really what the S4 is, but yes it is an alternative.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Corgidog, guess you wouldn't get an m3 either, CTS-V, or RS-6.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
Corgidog, guess you wouldn't get an m3 either, CTS-V, or RS-6.
M3- too small and too expensive for a 3 series BMW.
CTS-V-GM plastic interior is pitful but like the Corvette V8.
RS6-not sure if it comes in a stick but at that price I'd go for the 545 and put on snows.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow there are lot of vehicles offered in stick, That's why I love the import world. Domestic products are getting away from stick unless it's a 4 banger, which I'm the least interested in. Actually prior to buying my G (6days ago) these are the cars I test drove for consideration 05 S40 T5 (6-spd), Subaru Legacy GT (5-sp), Volkswager Jetta GLI (6sp). Why I didn't buy? Well the Volvo would have caused my insurance to go $135.Subaru wanted me to put money down(lol), and the Jetta, well it was a Jetta (lol). I really did like both the Volvo and the Subaru. Also looked at the Benz C320 but didn't drive, price drove me away.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Howdy!
Originally Posted by Corgidog
M3- too small and too expensive for a 3 series BMW.
CTS-V-GM plastic interior is pitful but like the Corvette V8.
RS6-not sure if it comes in a stick but at that price I'd go for the 545 and put on snows.
You would take a 545 over an RS6? Huh? Do you mean because the RS6 is so much more expensive, you'd rather just save the cash and get the 545? Because the RS6 is a much better car.

The S4 is just an A4? WHAT! Yeah, let's see, 1.8L T or a 3.0L V6 against a 4.2L V8. Who cares if it looks like it's little brother? It's obviously not, and it's one mighty fast sedan. Now if you tell me you don't like them because there transmissions fall out, fine!

But after the point of your post, it's quite obvious that there are a bunch of cars out there that have 4 doors and you can still get a 6speed. It's just that you don't like any of them. Fair enough.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by erik7
You would take a 545 over an RS6? Huh? Do you mean because the RS6 is so much more expensive, you'd rather just save the cash and get the 545? Because the RS6 is a much better car.

The S4 is just an A4? WHAT! Yeah, let's see, 1.8L T or a 3.0L V6 against a 4.2L V8. Who cares if it looks like it's little brother? It's obviously not, and it's one mighty fast sedan. Now if you tell me you don't like them because there transmissions fall out, fine!

But after the point of your post, it's quite obvious that there are a bunch of cars out there that have 4 doors and you can still get a 6speed. It's just that you don't like any of them. Fair enough.
If you reread my original post you will see that I put AWD into the mix which further limited my choices. Just because the RS6 is faster than a 545 does not in of itself make it a "better" car. I do not make power the sole criteria for a car although it is important up to a point. Audi makes 3 basic lines of cars-the 4 series, the 6 series and the 8 series, albeit many variations within each line. Size and design wise the S4 is a 4 series like the A4. My point is for the S4 cost, I would prefer a 6 series, but they don't make it in a stick and that, my man, is the essence of my post in that if I preferred an auto trans my options are wide open=RL, M45, A6 these are the cars I am interested in owning. Each has a great interior, at least 300 hp, AWD, ample room inside the car and a nice exterior design but they don't come in a stick.

Old 03-04-2005, 10:26 PM
If infiniti put better interior the price of the car would have to go up... Personaly im more then satisfied with the interior considering the price I paid...

To me the G35 6MT Sedan is a great Sports Sedan.. Lots of performance and a sporty interior... Im not into that wussy plush interior that some of you guys seem to want in your cars...

As far as AWD goes, if you need it then buy a SUV... Whats the point of having a Sports Sedan if you weigh it down with AWD... Take some driving classes and you won't need AWD....

Old 03-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Saabs get panned a lot, there's been a lot of criticism of Saab quality and it's rubbery shifter, but if I were set on a sports sedan with a stick the Saab 9-5 Aero would have to make the list. Nice power, 250 hp and 258 lb. ft. torque, and a very capable chassis and nicely finished interior. I know, I know, it's a fw driver but it's been very positively reviewed and for only about $7k more than the G35 6mt it is an excellent value.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question for those drivers who will only drive a stick