G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Question for those drivers who will only drive a stick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 12:50 PM
raj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, to answer the original question, I will only consider cars if theycame with stick shifts! I would love it if the G35x came with a stick. However, there is little loss as you can use dedicated winter tires (and cheap steel wheels) when the snow is flying around. BTW, with these high powered cars you are better off using winter tires anyway!
In sum, it would be nice to have these great all wheel drive vehicles available with manual transmissions also. However, there is little lost because many great 2WD MT alternatives exist that can be usefully outfitted with winter tires/wheels. My 2c!

Old 03-05-2005, 02:41 PM
guess it depends on the criteria you set. mine were: 4dr, rwd, stick, min 230hp and about 30k out the door. the only other car i test drove that fit that was the rx8 but the flooding issue isn't acceptable, back seat is joke and the low end torque suxs. the G fit all all my criteria and i loved it as soon as i test drove it. easy decision.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Corgidog,

I guess I'm the only one who feels what you're feeling. I went through an almost exact selection process before getting my '05 G35x. I felt like I was "settling" in the sense that a G35x Coupe 6MT would have been perfect, but of course doesn't exist (in the US). I too, didn't like the front wheel bias of the S60R, I was this close to getting the S4, but was warned off by Audi owners because of reliability issues, 330xi- too under powered, M3- no AWD, RL- too big and bloated, Lexus AWD was only going to come in the small engine, WRX STi- interior too crappy.

Now that I've got the G, I like the auto for when there is a lot of traffic (about 40 % of the time) or when I'm drinking my morning coffee etc (about 10 % of the time), the manumatic is OK, although I'm still playing around with it, and am liking it a little better than before.

Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM
From what I've heard the Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT is a pretty nice alternative. Comes with AWD and a manual option. Engine produces 250-hp and the price is under $30k. It may not have quite the sophistication of some of the luxury-class cars, but it seems to be a good value, sporty, practical, and with a touch of refinement.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:38 PM
I love driving stick, but can't limit myself to one car with a manual because no matter what, my wife will not get behind the wheel of a manual car for me to teach her, so Auto ownz me. My "toy" car is a 4 speed manual '66 Mustang (soon to be 5 sp). Other than that, there is quite a variety of manual cars out there to choose from, but the automatic is dominating nowadays.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LuckyR
Corgidog,

I guess I'm the only one who feels what you're feeling. I went through an almost exact selection process before getting my '05 G35x. I felt like I was "settling" in the sense that a G35x Coupe 6MT would have been perfect, but of course doesn't exist (in the US). I too, didn't like the front wheel bias of the S60R, I was this close to getting the S4, but was warned off by Audi owners because of reliability issues, 330xi- too under powered, M3- no AWD, RL- too big and bloated, Lexus AWD was only going to come in the small engine, WRX STi- interior too crappy.

Now that I've got the G, I like the auto for when there is a lot of traffic (about 40 % of the time) or when I'm drinking my morning coffee etc (about 10 % of the time), the manumatic is OK, although I'm still playing around with it, and am liking it a little better than before.
The 330XI may have less power than our G, but with the stick it outperforms the G. Even thought a lot of folks may claim that performance is not the key issue, look around and see the performance upgrades that most are trying, then re-evaluate that statement.I never even considered the BMW because I think some brands you just pay more for the name. Not saying it's not a nice vehicle, but you pay more for the premier nameplate.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah, that's the 0-60 thing. I prefer the rolling 5-60 which eliminates the tire smoking launches that most magazines use in their comparos, but frankly I never do. BTW walk into a Subaru dealership, they've got posters all over their showrooms touting the Legacy GT beating the 330xi. Hahahaha, it's that "chase the Bimmer" mentality.

Old 03-07-2005, 04:14 PM
after driving my 6mt, driving an auto is scary cause i am like "ok what am i not doing" so i feel like i am ganna crash of something. anybody else feel like this?

Old 03-07-2005, 07:38 PM
After driving a manual for most of my life, When I get into someones automatic I always start pushing the break with my left foot thinking its the clutch...

Im always like what the heck, then oh yea, its an automatic...