G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Evaluating a dual-mass flywheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evaluating a dual-mass flywheel

2005 Infiniti G35 sedan. I'm in the process of replacing the clutch. A replacement dual-mass flywheel is costly. How can I tell if my factory flywheel is suitable for reuse or should be replaced?

The car is used for everyday driving so high-performance parts are not needed.

Daniel B. Martin

Old 06-17-2018, 02:32 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If it's the OEM DMFW then it's probably not something you want to reuse, regardless of the condition of the face of it the internal damper springs wear out and it gets REALLY sloppy and makes the car drive like complete ****. If you have over 100k on the motor those springs are likely starting to wear.

You can pick up a replacement LUK brand DMFW for a fair price, or you can find someone local that has the mid weight Exedy single mass just to verify that the chatter sound doesn't bother you, it's lighter than the DMFW so the engine spins quicker which is nice but it's still heavy enough that it doesn't change the engagement feel TOO MUCH, it has enough inertia that it doesn't feel all racecar like the 14 lb ones do (granted I always prefer the lightest flywheel you can get).

Best thing to do is find someone with the equipment and see if they'll let you test drive the car for a few bucks just so you can check for yourself.