G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Accidentally filled the oil to the brim

Old 09-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidentally filled the oil to the brim

I was on a trip and someone told me it was 2 quarts low. He put in one quart, I drove to the nearest Walmart and put in most of another court and it filled it to the brim. I had to drive a hundred miles like that, the next morning another mechanic told me it was perfect. How many quarts of oil are in my car if it is filled literally to the brim where I can see it and add no more

Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
What? You can see the oil filled up to the oil filler neck?
If you drove 100 miles like that it would surely blow some oil seals....

Old 09-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Um, yes, I did drive 100 miles after filling oil to the brim

I did what the mechanic told me to do he thought I was 2 quarts low. After adding the second Court at the Walmart 30 miles up the road, I realized I was probably not 2 quarts low. Not knowing how bad it was and not knowing how to drain oil, and certainly not wanting to do it when I needed to get to my destination before it was too dark and in the Walmart parking lot, I drove the 100 miles to my hotel. Then I read that night about how bad that was. My question however was, if I filled it to the brim, and that was after adding almost 2 quarts, I'm wondering how many quarts over the traditional 5 that was. How many quarts are in my oil tank total if it was filled to the brim. I have a 2004 G35 sedan. We do not actually know how badly it is leaking there have been various reports of seeing oil near the area of the oil pan and other people who reported seeing no oil or traces of it. Also no one has seen any blue smoke coming out the back of my car, nor black smoke, nor have I smelled anything but a slight chemical smell after I filled it to the brim with oil for a few miles okay 100 actually. Oh and the next morning one mechanic said the oil level looked fine on the dipstick although it's hard to read, I got home and my husband said the oil level looked fine if not just a tad High.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
What do you mean by "filled it to the brim"?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Only check the oil level on a cold engine before driving that day. It's almost impossible to screw up an oil reading.

I don't know how many quarts it would take to fill the crankcase and valve covers all the way to the fill neck but my guess is between 15-20 quarts.

I suspect you aren't looking in the right fill cap, likely you are looking inside the power steering reservoir or something else.

Take a picture of where you see oil filled to the brim.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:06 PM
That would be a lot of oil for any tank to hold!

Well, considering two mechanics unscrewed the same place, I'm pretty sure I had the oil tank open when I added the almost quart of oil to an apparently (in hindsight) already full tank.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by MainStreet
Well, considering two mechanics unscrewed the same place, I'm pretty sure I had the oil tank open when I added the almost quart of oil to an apparently (in hindsight) already full tank.
The engine oil resides in the engine crankcase and not in an oil tank. The oil level is checked by observing the oil level on the dipstick. The oil level should be checked by observing the markings on the dipstick with the vehicle parked on level ground on a cold engine or at least one that has been sitting on level ground for 20 minutes.

It sounds to me you had a number of dipshyts giving you incorrect information?

Telcoman

Old 09-27-2018, 03:21 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's why I'm thinking they were looking at a reservoir for a different type of fluid.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
guys guys guys - maybe op has a dry sump /s

Old 09-27-2018, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
What do you mean by "filled it to the brim"?
if I filled it to the brim, I mean I expected to be able to an empty the entire quart of synthetic Mobil 1 50 30 oil into the oil compartment and not see it float to the top. But as I watched, I did see the oil at the very brim - like I wasn't even sure I could fit the oil cap back on without it oozing. Luckily I did. There is only a little oil left in that quart. I have not had to refill it since, needless to say, even though I bought a spare quart at my stop at Walmart. But I made 100 miles to my destination, plus a 339 mile trip home without having to refill it or seeing any ill effects, so I'm hoping that I did not "blow" my seals, at least not any worse than they might have already been leaking or "blown," so to speak. My husband still could not find any leaking oil around the oil pan area after I informed him of what the mechanic said!

Last edited by MainStreet; 09-27-2018 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Goof
Old 09-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman
The engine oil resides in the engine crankcase and not in an oil tank. The oil level is checked by observing the oil level on the dipstick. The oil level should be checked by observing the markings on the dipstick with the vehicle parked on level ground on a cold engine or at least one that has been sitting on level ground for 20 minutes.

It sounds to me you had a number of dipshyts giving you incorrect information?

Telcoman
pardon my lack of terminology, but yes, we checked the dipstick, on level ground, one time it had probably been sitting 20 minutes first, the second time it has been seeing it sitting 6 hours or so but then had been driven less than a mile, and sat for less than the 20 minutes but for a few.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I suppose it's also possible there is debris clogging up the oil fill neck that is not allowing oil to flow freely into the engine.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:43 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^thatd have to be some big 6ss debris

Old 09-27-2018, 10:05 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I've seen it happen when someone accidently drops the cap from a quart of oil in the fill neck multiple times...

Old 09-27-2018, 10:48 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
This thread has got to be a joke, OP's pulling legs.

I wanna see OP fill that thing up again and take a pic or 2.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Accidentally filled the oil to the brim