G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New G35 Battery Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock
New G35 Battery Question

This is a pretty "Day 1" question, but I've come across a number of posts where owners have run into some serious issues after disconnecting the battery for various reasons. One instance resulted in an ECU replacement. I'm going to install a grounding kit this weekend and I want to make sure I don't inadvertently cause a problem.

Is there a certain procedure for disconnecting the battery properly?

I planned on just disconnecting the positive cable from the battery while I do a number of different tasks that I've been putting off.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It’s the other way around. You always disconnect the negative first then positive. When putting on its positive then negative. If you’re working on stuff or like when installing the kit, you can just disconnect the negative terminal. Only other thing I would say, is if you invest in a memory keeper to save your radio presets and trips if you keep track of those

Old 11-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by victor0206
It’s the other way around. You always disconnect the negative first then positive. When putting on its positive then negative. If you’re working on stuff or like when installing the kit, you can just disconnect the negative terminal. Only other thing I would say, is if you invest in a memory keeper to save your radio presets and trips if you keep track of those
What is the reasoning behind which cable to connect or disconnect first? Electricity only flows one way. If theres no path, it wont flow.

So whats the difference?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
In case you touch the body with the tool you are using to remove the positive cable, it will not cause an arc if the negative cable is removed first

Old 11-10-2018, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
In case you touch the body with the tool you are using to remove the positive cable, it will not cause an arc if the negative cable is removed first
Oh OK, I thought it had more to do with frying electronics or something.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:48 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Nope, the ground side is safer to play with so you disconnect the circuit from that side first and reconnect the system from that side last. Keep in mind you can still shock the **** out of yourself with the negative, when it's disconnected if you hold the negative in one hand and touch the battery post with the other hand and there is a large enough LOAD on the circuit the current will try to pass through your body to complete the circuit. Usually though the load is minimal unless you have the headlights, heated seats, etc turned to the ON position with the key in the ON position.

It's an atomic level friction burn that hurts like hell sometimes.

Key in the off position there's almost no chance of tasting lightning though since the current draw is almost nothing.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Nope, the ground side is safer to play with so you disconnect the circuit from that side first and reconnect the system from that side last. Keep in mind you can still shock the **** out of yourself with the negative, when it's disconnected if you hold the negative in one hand and touch the battery post with the other hand and there is a large enough LOAD on the circuit the current will try to pass through your body to complete the circuit. Usually though the load is minimal unless you have the headlights, heated seats, etc turned to the ON position with the key in the ON position.

It's an atomic level friction burn that hurts like hell sometimes.

Key in the off position there's almost no chance of tasting lightning though since the current draw is almost nothing.
Highly doubt any current from your car battery will pass through your body. Your body resistance is high enough to prevent it. Unless you had some kinda capacitor hooked up somewhere along your car's electrical system.