Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Second time my battery died. Which battery should I replace it with?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second time my battery died. Which battery should I replace it with?

Darn it this is the second time my battery died out on me for no apparent reason. Luckily the car started (without the interior lights on) and I managed to make it home from work but when I got home the car and key fob wouldn't start. I think it's time to replace the battery. I'm a newbie when it comes to this
so I would need suggestions on which battery to replace it with and if there's a FAQ out there on the procedure to do so. Thanks

Old 11-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by osamabinwayne
Darn it this is the second time my battery died out on me for no apparent reason. Luckily the car started (without the interior lights on) and I managed to make it home from work but when I got home the car and key fob wouldn't start. I think it's time to replace the battery. I'm a newbie when it comes to this
so I would need suggestions on which battery to replace it with and if there's a FAQ out there on the procedure to do so. Thanks
Batteries and alternators can go bad in tandem, so make sure you have your alternator checked to ensure it is functioning properly. A bad battery can ruin an alternator. A bad alternator can ruin a battery.

I had excellent performance from an Optima yellow-top (deep cycle) battery in a previous car. I had a high-wattage after-market audio system in there, too. When my current stocker dies, I'll replace it with another Optima y/top. It's a no-maintenance battery, it is impact/shock-resistant, and it's probably lighter than the OEM battery, to boot.

Check for loose connections and/or damaged battery terminal wires. Install a top-quality (gold-plated) terminal clamp on the cable end. Make sure the terminals are clean. Ensure you have good ground contact. Check for a short in the car's electrical system. For example, maybe your glove-box light stays on all the time, constantly draining your battery. Maybe you have some kind of after-market install with wiring that may be suspect. Shorts and loose connections can be a bear to run down, because there are so many possible problem areas to check. And if there is a problem somewhere, maybe it's only a problem in the wet, when it's hot outside, or some other transient condition.

Good luck. Hopefully this will be a relatively easy fix for you.

Old 11-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Sears Die Hard were top rated for years by Consumer Reports but current issue rates the top Wal-Mart battery as a better battery. Optima's are another choice but pricey. Clean terminals, tight connections, anti-corrosion spray go a long ways toward preventing battery problems unless they are alternator related. Check the alt drive belt while you are in there.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I simply won't buy a battery other than an Optima now. Been stuck on them for about 10 years and they've never let me down. As soon as my OEM POS battery dies (usually within the firt year), I stick an Optima in and have been able to forget about them. Worth the money when you consider you'd otherwise replace a normal battery at least twice during your Optima's lifetime. And when time is money, avoiding the unscheduled inconvenience of another dead battery can be extremely valuable.