G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fender flares on a sedan?

Old 01-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning View Post
Ichiglo you're taking it to body shops that don't want to touch rust repair work, they make a lot more money doing insurance claims on newer cars which always involve the most expensive route in order to get the car back to "perfect". They don't want to work on an old car with an owner trying to save as much $$ as possible.

That rust really isn't bad at all compared to what I had.
Have you tried checking Craigslist and asking around on local car enthusiast Facebook pages to find a smaller shop or a body guy willing to repair your current quarter panel off the clock, without all of the roadblocks that get put in place when dealing with a larger business? They could repair the rust either with metal or waterproof fiberglass filler and roll your stock fenders at the same time. Have them also drill capped holes in the inner wheel well to make filling the QP with fluid film really easy.

The spacers are both to clear the Brembo brakes on the performance package coupes and to avoid the horrible "sunken in" look you get from running the wrong offset wheels with no spacers. IDK the exact size but I believe mine are 2_ mm in the back and 1_ mm in the front.
actually yea I found 2 local enthusiasts who are known by people on Facebook groups and they all told me when they saw my car that me fenders are ****ed.One of them actually attempted rolling on iT but a lot of rust debris was falling off so he just stoped and told me to get it repaired or run smaller wheels to avoid rolling my fenders.The person who attempted to roll gave me a quote in the past to fix the quarter panel and told me it would be roughly 1100-1300 to replace the quarter panel and paint with no roll

Old 01-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Liked 84 Times in 78 Posts
I meant finding a body guy to repair your quarter panels as the primary job, and then to roll them after he's finished removing all the rust by hand. The order goes

Remove rust -> roll fenders -> repair rust damage w/ metal or filler -> repaint

I'm talking like https://nh.craigslist.org/aos/d/derr...791594288.html
or
https://nh.craigslist.org/aos/d/derr...774060521.html

It won't be cheap but really that rust isn't bad enough to chop out and cover up with flares; that's overkill.

Last edited by cswlightning; 01-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I meant finding a body guy to repair your quarter panels as the primary job, and then to roll them after he's finished removing all the rust by hand. The order goes

Remove rust -> roll fenders -> repair rust damage w/ metal or filler -> repaint

I'm talking like https://nh.craigslist.org/aos/d/derr...791594288.html
or
https://nh.craigslist.org/aos/d/derr...774060521.html

It won't be cheap but really that rust isn't bad enough to chop out and cover up with flares; that's overkill.
cswlightning here is how my fenders look now the last pic was in the summer

Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Definitely not cause for replacing the quarter panel, but might be all the way through in a couple places. I see why you're going down the arches route, if I were you I would spend a day to remove the rust and do the prep work to save hundreds of dollars and make sure its done right. All you really need to do is get a power sander (or even a sanding block and sandpaper) and just grind all the rust away with a grinder or even sandpaper making sure you get it all. From there all you really need to do is paint everything that was rusted in a nice layer of POR-15 and it should never rust again. Also check under your side skirts and conduct repairs there if needed. Finish by emptying a couple cans of fluid film into the internal cavities to stop the progress of any other hidden rust holes that are likely in both of our cars.

After that all the shop would have to do is cut the flares to size and bolt them on, covering up your work and making it look pretty again. Should take them an hour if that. If you cheap out at the shop they'll just bolt it on over the rust and in 2-3 years of winter use you'll have a basketball sized hole in your quarter panel showing past the flare.

Last edited by cswlightning; 01-11-2019 at 09:34 PM.
The following users liked this post: cswlightning
g35-andy (01-14-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely not cause for replacing the quarter panel, but might be all the way through in a couple places. I see why you're going down the arches route, if I were you I would spend a day to remove the rust and do the prep work to save hundreds of dollars and make sure its done right. All you really need to do is get a power sander (or even a sanding block and sandpaper) and just grind all the rust away with a grinder or even sandpaper making sure you get it all. From there all you really need to do is paint everything that was rusted in a nice layer of POR-15 and it should never rust again. Also check under your side skirts and conduct repairs there if needed. Finish by emptying a couple cans of fluid film into the internal cavities to stop the progress of any other hidden rust holes that are likely in both of our cars.

After that all the shop would have to do is cut the flares to size and bolt them on, covering up your work and making it look pretty again. Should take them an hour if that. If you cheap out at the shop they'll just bolt it on over the rust and in 2-3 years of winter use you'll have a basketball sized hole in your quarter panel showing past the flare.
You wonít recommend just cutting off the current fenders and drilling on the new ones? The flares are already precut

Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
G35 Sedan: currently completely OEM
I have to agree with cswlightning here. The last thing you want to do is pull those overfenders off in a few years time and have worse damage

Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 AM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by g35-andy View Post
I have to agree with cswlightning here. The last thing you want to do is pull those overfenders off in a few years time and have worse damage
sounds like a plan though Iím not sure how Iím going to be able to roll it either way.the reason why Iím cutting my fenders off is to fitnbigger wheels and even if I sand all the rust away,the major rust is still hidden under the fender line (under the wheel well) and therefore wonít be able to roll.

Old 01-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
cswlightning i took your advice and took it to a reputable body shop by my area.They quoted me $1500 to roll and fix the rust on both fenders along with paint.They even told me that it was cheaper to fix the rust than the flares.Is that a decent price?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM
I got similar quotes, I didn't take them. If you take it to a reputable body shop for the rust repair you'll get shafted. You need to find the guy who's desperate for money working in his garage on weekday nights or the family shop who takes pride in solving other people's problems for as cheaply as possible, and then you might get maybe a $700 or $800 quote for the work if you source the flares yourself, no warranty whatsoever. Doing a proper job stopping non-visible, non-structural rust is probably 6 hours of work minimum, but not skilled labor. Just a lot of sanding, grinding, being thorough, and painting with POR15.

Putting on cheap flares from Amazon that you source yourself is easy and quick either if you do it yourself or you have it done at a body shop, as long as you bought the right one and you take your time to make sure you line everything up properly.
If you do everything yourself, it won't cost you more than a couple hundred dollars even if you have to buy some harbor freight tools, and a bunch of Googling ahead of time to learn how to do it.

Last edited by cswlightning; 01-17-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I got similar quotes, I didn't take them. If you take it to a reputable body shop for the rust repair you'll get shafted. You need to find the guy who's desperate for money working in his garage on weekday nights or the family shop who takes pride in solving other people's problems for as cheaply as possible, and then you might get maybe a $700 or $800 quote for the work if you source the flares yourself, no warranty whatsoever. Doing a proper job stopping non-visible, non-structural rust is probably 6 hours of work minimum, but not skilled labor. Just a lot of sanding, grinding, being thorough, and painting with POR15.

Putting on cheap flares from Amazon that you source yourself is easy and quick either if you do it yourself or you have it done at a body shop, as long as you bought the right one and you take your time to make sure you line everything up properly.
If you do everything yourself, it won't cost you more than a couple hundred dollars even if you have to buy some harbor freight tools, and a bunch of Googling ahead of time to learn how to do it.
the thing is I have a hard time trusting people on craiglist who do it in their garage.i donít want to leave my car and my keys to a random stranger.Im actually considering going with the $1500 route Iíve seen their work on cars in person and they know their stuff of modified cars.i had gone to a couple of shops before where people didnít have a clue what rolling fender meant lol BTW Iím returning my flares this weekend to get my $200 back lol

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Then DIY or pay $$$$$$$$$ idk what to tell ya man

Old 01-18-2019, 04:10 AM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Then DIY or pay $$$$$$$$$ idk what to tell ya man
or PART OUT lol na man thanks for your advice really helped a lot Iíll make my decision Monday

Old 01-24-2019, 12:19 AM
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
G35 Sedan: currently completely OEM
What was ur decision man?

Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2003 g35 sedan drift car. wisefab front and rear kits
Is this

Is this your car?
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post

jbarnett250 my car is only rusted from the wheels well fenders from what I could see.If I where to explain it itís surface rust but it pretty bad when you canít roll them anymore.My driver side rear fender already has rust hole but my passenger side fender is still in tack and possibly still able to roll.