G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35 sedan
o2 sensors

So I have a SES light coming on and off so I got it checked out, turns out one of my o2 sensors is out and another is on the verge. The mechanic recommended replacing all 4, and it would cost 1200$. So I’m just gonna do them myself, but he says not to use aftermarket parts, is that the case? Also I couldn’t find any good videos of how to do this, could someone maybe link one, I’d very much appreciate it. Finally, do I need two upstream and two downstream? Thank you !

Old 01-27-2019, 05:06 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2005 G35 Sedan Sport w/ Premium Package
You're not including a lot of info here. What year is the car? Have you tried clearing the faults and seeing if they come back? Does the car run any differently? In my experience it is a good rule of thumb to use OEM parts when it comes to emissions parts like MAF's and O2 sensors. They're finicky parts and I've never had good luck with aftermarket myself. A 2 second google search returned a whole bunch of O2 sensor videos and other info for the G35. Did you even search? I don't mean to be that guy but you have to take some initiative here besides making a forum post and expecting to get all the answers handed to you bro.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:30 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The OEM ones are Delphi, you can buy all 4 sensors right now for about $350 on rockauto.com and if they're really corroded it could take up to 30 minutes per sensor to change out = 2 hours of labor. I have no idea why he's trying to charge you 8-9 hours of labor so I would definitely find a different mechanic.

Did you get an itemized billing estimate? What on earth is he charging so much for? Even buying them from Infiniti the parts only come to $700 so he wants to charge you 4 hours of labor for what would be a 2 hours job in the WORST conditions? I honest to god bet you could actually get that done cheaper by having Infiniti do the work lol.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:19 PM
g35 sedan
Originally Posted by JoMamma_Smurf
You're not including a lot of info here. What year is the car? Have you tried clearing the faults and seeing if they come back? Does the car run any differently? In my experience it is a good rule of thumb to use OEM parts when it comes to emissions parts like MAF's and O2 sensors. They're finicky parts and I've never had good luck with aftermarket myself. A 2 second google search returned a whole bunch of O2 sensor videos and other info for the G35. Did you even search? I don't mean to be that guy but you have to take some initiative here besides making a forum post and expecting to get all the answers handed to you bro.
it’s a 2004, I’ve already determined the issue I’m not sure why symptoms are necessary for advice, and yes I’ve searched for videos, hence me mentioning I’ve searched for videos. None of the ones that came up were applicable or so poorly made I didn’t know what was going on.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:22 PM
g35 sedan
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
The OEM ones are Delphi, you can buy all 4 sensors right now for about $350 on rockauto.com and if they're really corroded it could take up to 30 minutes per sensor to change out = 2 hours of labor. I have no idea why he's trying to charge you 8-9 hours of labor so I would definitely find a different mechanic.

Did you get an itemized billing estimate? What on earth is he charging so much for? Even buying them from Infiniti the parts only come to $700 so he wants to charge you 4 hours of labor for what would be a 2 hours job in the WORST conditions? I honest to god bet you could actually get that done cheaper by having Infiniti do the work lol.
His explanation was “2 1/2 hours of work, and the parts themselves”, thank you for the actual breakdown though. Based off the 1200$ charge I figured it would be a total pain in the ***

Old 01-27-2019, 02:55 PM
g35 sedan
So I’ve worked everything out, just one last question ! I’m looking at o2 sensors to order, and this one says it fits “downstream left” and the other says fits “upstream left or upstream right”. So, will the one that says downstream left also fit downstream right? Or will I need to find one that says both?

Old 01-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW3131
So I’ve worked everything out, just one last question ! I’m looking at o2 sensors to order, and this one says it fits “downstream left” and the other says fits “upstream left or upstream right”. So, will the one that says downstream left also fit downstream right? Or will I need to find one that says both?
Check the part numbers. If it fit both side it wouldn't have different part numbers

Old 01-27-2019, 08:42 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,457 Likes on 2,151 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
iirc the upstream O2 sensors have a black harness and are interchangeable, the downstream ones are side-specific and I think the green harness one is left side and the blue harness one is the right side. Probably need to double check that though I might have the left/right backwards.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:28 PM
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
I changed one of the upstream sensors on my 04' a coupe months ago. I ended up cutting the wires off and using a 1/2" drive impact socket to get it out. Any other way would have rounded it off. If that happens the whole exhaust manifold has to come off.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:23 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Not necessarily, my GF has a 97 Nissan truck with 225K miles. One of her rear O2 sensors was corroded so badly the sensor wasn't coming off no matter what we tried so I took it to a local muffler shop. The charged me $25 to cut a new hole in the pipe and weld a new bung in about 2 inches in front of the old sensor. They used a plasma cutter to make the hole which was cool to watch. Sensor screwed right in, hooked it up and it's been working fine for 2 years. Took them less than 15 minutes to do the work.

The following users liked this post:
cswlightning (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
Good luck doing that on a front sensor. You can barely get tools in there to change it yet a plasma cutter and tap. The rear sensors are simple if they give you a hard time since the cats simply unbolt and break away. If you don't play around and use a good 1/2" impact first it almost always comes out. (Think I've only had a couple not come out in over 10 years)... It may take all the threads with it if the sensor threads are fused to the bung but it will come out

On the O2 sensors. The "Upstream" O2 sensors left and right are the same. For 2004 models RWD use narrowband upstream sensors and the AWD cars use wideband upstream sensors. The Downstream sensors are different length so they are different part numbers for left and right. RWD and AWD downstreams are the same part #'s and are narrowband only.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Blue Dream thank you for confirming it won't throw codes if there's a slight position change on the sensor. If my cats ever go I'm going to make my own custom catted ART-style pipes using cheap universal cats (with comparable flow ratings to OTS G35 HFCs) and custom length J pipes, and that was the last thing I needed to know.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (01-31-2019)