Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Mounting Under Upper Console Cubby Lid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G35 Sedan Leather Base, Z1 Plenum Spacer, Z Tube (Currently sold to a friend)
GPS Mounting Under Upper Console Cubby Lid

After experimenting with several older and newer GPS units as well as 10+ mounting options, I think I have found the largest GPS unit that will mount on the underside of the cubby lid. It can also be removed and stowed inside of the cubby for security.

My 11 year old Garmin Nuvi 255 GPS was definitely showing its age. The modern Garmin Drivesmarts are super powerful, responsive, and feature packed. The one I selected was the LMTS 61. Bonus feature is it can be paired with a Garmin wireless backup camera.

I chose this mount and I both bolted it through my cubby lid and used the 3M double sided tape. My cubby lid cover cracked and fell off earlier, but no big deal as the GPS distracts from that.

iBOLT AMPS Adapter Plate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AYLYWA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Other notes, I fished the power adapter from the armrest power outlet through the console and up through a hole I drilled in the bottom of the cubby.

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Looks great! Does it report cops like Waze? That's always been my one reservation with non-phone GPS devices.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Looks great! Does it report cops like Waze? That's always been my one reservation with non-phone GPS devices.
Unfortunately none of the Waze cop info or potholes. I am an avid and longtime Waze user myself. The GPS does know where speed cameras and red light cameras are and will alert you of those. Also very good on speed zones.

I just tried the traffic feature this morning, and it is... garbage so far. It kept trying to convince me to leave the interstate on a 20 mile late morning trip to work, wanted me to take longer distance side roads rather than sticking to the interstate. Initially it said 40 minutes to get to work, but I stuck to the interstate and it only took 20 minutes. It told me to get off at every interstate exit along the way. Hoping there is a setting causing this confusion.

Last edited by kelman81; 02-28-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2019, 04:18 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Mine fits right into the slot where the lid goes when closed and the lid itself holds my GPS in place. But a hard bump or shift can occasionally dislodge it, your set-up looks far more secure.

GPS Mounting Under Upper Console Cubby Lid-hbxxjx9.jpg

Old 03-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Mine fits right into the slot where the lid goes when closed and the lid itself holds my GPS in place. But a hard bump or shift can occasionally dislodge it, your set-up looks far more secure.

Security while driving was my goal for this. I spent way too long trying to figure out a magnet setup where it could also rest on the ledge of the cubby. This mount setup seemed much more straight forward and secure/stable but still allowed me to remove the GPS from the mount for occasional stowing.

On an update for using the GPS, the traffic updates are very good but not great like Waze. Minor annoyance is you have to turn on the app on your phone to get the traffic updates. Some of the 3D traffic power adapters receive radio signals about traffic, but the information is very limited and not updated as often as the cellular data. My previous guidance routing issue has been resolved, the bonehead directions earlier were a result of a setting where it was avoiding highways (interstates).

Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Very nice.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Added Garmin Wireless Backup Camera

I purchased the add on Garmin wireless backup camera. It actually comes with a new power adapter for your GPS which must be used as it has a wireless receiver built in. Be careful buying this wireless camera kit from Amazon vendors as some of them only sell the camera and camera harness.

install was easy, I tapped into the reverse lights by finding the orange wire in the loom running from the passenger side to the trunk lid. Grounded it nearby.

To mount the camera which only has a tiny single hole bracket, I had to drill a bolt hole thru my license plate. No big deal but some people might not wish to do that. I didn’t trust the clip to grip the plate alone.

Setup was automatic once everything was plugged in. The GPS unit instantly recognized it and paired with it.

Picture quality is about as good as you can hope for with an aftermarket wireless camera. Reaction time when going into reverse can take 2-4 seconds which isn’t great. But overall very happy with it and for the $130 kit price.

Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMTS with BC 30 wireless backup camera kit

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (08-02-2019)