G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Headlight not working- how do i change the igniter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinit G35 sedan
Headlight not working- how do i change the igniter?

Have an 2003 G35 Sedan with HID lights and the low beam light is out on one side. I swapped out the bulb and ballast from the good side and it does not appear to be a bulb or ballast issue. I checked the fuses with a test light and for some reason it doesn't light up on my test light on both sides (including the working passenger side). I replaced the fuses just in case but it still hasn't resolved the issue. At this point I think it could be igniter and bought a replacement via EBAY, but I'm not sure how to change that on the 03 Sedan. It's not the simple one on the coupe and newer G35's where you can just remove the igniter via a clip on the ballast. Does anyone know how to check/ change the igniter on the old 03 Sedan model? Do I have to remove the entire headlight, clip wires, etc.?)

Old 04-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35x Sedan 4DR AWD
Well an igniter is much like a voltage amplifier. So if there is no power to anything else it's your igniter. You're going to have to remove the projector from the headlight assembly in order to replace the igniter. Your best bet is to just remove the headlights from the vehicle to make it much easier for you.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infinit G35 sedan
Thanks for the reply. The other lights in the headlamp seem to work (eg high beam) but only the low beam doesn’t work- does that still indicate it could be the igniter? I think I can remove the headlight housing etc with the help of YouTube but I have yet to see one addressing the igniter and wiring. Is it pretty much a matter of threading the new wires through the housing and plug and play or is it more advanced? Not sure where the black box attached to the igniter goes

Old 04-14-2019, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Joe2324

Have an 2003 G35 Sedan with HID lights and the low beam light is out on one side. I swapped out the bulb and ballast from the good side and it does not appear to be a bulb or ballast issue. I checked the fuses with a test light and for some reason it doesn't light up on my test light on both sides (including the working passenger side). I replaced the fuses just in case but it still hasn't resolved the issue. At this point I think it could be igniter and bought a replacement via EBAY, but I'm not sure how to change that on the 03 Sedan. It's not the simple one on the coupe and newer G35's where you can just remove the igniter via a clip on the ballast. Does anyone know how to check/ change the igniter on the old 03 Sedan model? Do I have to remove the entire headlight, clip wires, etc.?)
A good place to start is to read the lighting section in the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2003/lt.pdf

See page Lt-26

If it is not the bulb or ballast then the problem is most likely in the wiring harness, IPDM or a wiring harness poor connection.
Use a multimeter to trace
Do not use non OEM parts prior to locating the root cause or you may be just complicating the solution

Telcoman

The following users liked this post:
Joe2324 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 11:22 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Best way to troubleshoot lighting issues like this is to swap components from one side of the vehicle to the other to see if the problem follows or stays. This will verify that lamps and ballasts are both functioning properly.

The following users liked this post:
Joe2324 (04-14-2019)