G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help!! Newb key fob questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 door sedan, basic model
Help!! Newb key fob questions

I'm a little confused, I've combed many threads and google and youtube vids, but still scratching my head. So I just purchased a 2006 G35 sedan few months ago, and the dealer initially gave me 1 key, just a normal regular looking key, no fob, nor would it fit on the back of the fob. This key actually started intermittently working making my car crank (per the dealer, as it was a valet key and not designed to be used all the time), I'm no longer using that key. Luckily earlier they had found another key for my car, and this key looked like it fit on the back of a smart keyfob. Unfortunately, the original fob was never found. This key works, and the car runs fine. I've since purchased online a cheap smart fob with the four buttons (black with 4 silver buttons) and a uncut key that slides into the back. Identical to my key that I have that works. I've tried to program the fob myself countless times but have had no luck and am wondering:

1.) Since the key that I have is likely paired to a lost fob is that why this new fob cannot get connected?
2.) If that's the issue, is there a way to get the new fob and the key that i have working? or what is my best option?
3.) Furthermore, my 2006 g35 has a twist ignition, and all the videos I've seen dont have that, and I was wondering if that is an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Old 04-24-2019, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Jusdrewit
I'm a little confused, I've combed many threads and google and youtube vids, but still scratching my head. So I just purchased a 2006 G35 sedan few months ago, and the dealer initially gave me 1 key, just a normal regular looking key, no fob, nor would it fit on the back of the fob. This key actually started intermittently working making my car crank (per the dealer, as it was a valet key and not designed to be used all the time), I'm no longer using that key. Luckily earlier they had found another key for my car, and this key looked like it fit on the back of a smart keyfob. Unfortunately, the original fob was never found. This key works, and the car runs fine. I've since purchased online a cheap smart fob with the four buttons (black with 4 silver buttons) and a uncut key that slides into the back. Identical to my key that I have that works. I've tried to program the fob myself countless times but have had no luck and am wondering:

1.) Since the key that I have is likely paired to a lost fob is that why this new fob cannot get connected?
2.) If that's the issue, is there a way to get the new fob and the key that i have working? or what is my best option?
3.) Furthermore, my 2006 g35 has a twist ignition, and all the videos I've seen dont have that, and I was wondering if that is an issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!
deleted

Last edited by telcoman; 04-24-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
You have the smart entry. Only smart people at the dealership can program it Joking aside the dealer is the only one that can program a remote to your smart entry system. It is not as simple as the standard entry system that takes the normal square type Infiniti / Nissan keys where you can program your own remotes. Believe me I have tried because my 05' has the same setup and I ended up installing a remote start for the remotes because I wasn't about to go to the dealership since I'm fresh out of Vaseline.

The following users liked this post:
Jusdrewit (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
2006 ignition was a push and twist, that's correct. The "Start" button didn't happen until later. Does your car have outside buttons to lock and unlock the doors and a trunk release button? If so, that indicates the car is set up for the Intelligent Key (the oval shaped fob which the physical key slides into). If you don't have those outside buttons then your car didn't come with iKey which (I think) was still an option at that time. Having said that, your "push and twist" ignition switch might already answer this question...

If you do have the door and trunk buttons then the next question is whether the iKey fob that you found is compatible with your '06. I don't know specifically but I think they may be year specific.

As scs said above, the next step is to have an Infiniti or Nissan dealer assist in "registering" your iKey fob with your car. Be sure they understand that your cut key's chip is already being recognized by the car so you don't want them to reset the IVIS or NATS system.

By the way, you can find your service manuals right here (thanks to the NICO Club):
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2006_G35_Sedan/

The following users liked this post:
Jusdrewit (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 door sedan, basic model
Thanks everyone for the replies. It does have these little button/sensors by the drivers side door handle and trunk release so i guess that confirms it was setup for the Intelligent key. Also, i don't know if this makes any difference, but I don't really need the intelligent/smart entry features, all I care about is having the convenience of having a fob to lock, unlock, open the trunk...does that make any difference in programming it/cost? Or i'll have to go to the dealer regardless?

And I hope the ikey fob i bought is the right one, it says it was compatible with the 06 g35 online, but it was very cheap so i dont think it has all the components for the smart features as i see similar ones online for over $100...so if its not, luckily it didn't break the bank.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:17 PM
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
Your ignition switch (where the key goes) picture shows that it is the intelligent smart entry. Needless to say dealer program only... The regular base cars don't have the raised thumb / finger twist shield around the key. I'm not sure what the dealer will charge for programming but I'll bet you a remote start system is cheaper. It will give you remotes for lock/unlock/trunk pop/start. I was going to convert my 05' to a base model entry system but found that you have to change the ECU/BCM/Ignition and Smart entry box.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:42 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
In my opinion "registering" your iKey is worth getting done as it's a great system which will never have you digging out your key fob again. If it falls out of your pocket while driving it won't let you lock the doors. Trunk pops open if you try to lock it in the trunk. I wish the front door of my house would recognize my iKey...

The independent shop which services our Gs has a "Consult III" diagnostics tool and would be able to register an iKey fob. So you might call around if you want to avoid the dealer.