G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. maxima

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i worked for a nissan dealership and my buddy bought a 04 max se. we went head to head down the 85 with me and i spanked him. he has since traded his max for an e55 amg.....

Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by atlg35sedan
i worked for a nissan dealership and my buddy bought a 04 max se. we went head to head down the 85 with me and i spanked him. he has since traded his max for an e55 amg.....
Traded his max for an e55 AMG? If he had that kind of money why did he buy the max in the first place? Wish I had that kind of cash.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:52 AM
"Traded his max for an e55 AMG? If he had that kind of money why did he buy the max in the first place? Wish I had that kind of cash."

Probably a Home Equity Loan.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry but an 01 Maxima with intake and y pipe will not run low-mid 14's. I would be surprised if it can break into the 14's (at least at the track I go to).

Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by IP05G35
I'm sorry but an 01 Maxima with intake and y pipe will not run low-mid 14's. I would be surprised if it can break into the 14's (at least at the track I go to).
You can't be serious. Quite a few 00-01 5 speed Maximas with y-pipes and intakes have done 14.2-14.4s@96mph+. My 96 SE 5 speed with a JDM intake manifold, hacked stock airbox, JWT ECU, y-pipe, and 2002 Maxima muffler did a 14.31@99.51mph and lots and lots of 14.4s@98-99mph. If I could have gotten my 60 foots out of the upper 2.1s and 2.2s, it would have been a 13-second car.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by MOTOP
Look in NorCal section for last years dyno day results.

- Z-tube / K&N Filter, Stillen Cat-Back - average 228.5 whp

- Z-tube, NFC Motorsports Y-Pipe, 22" Magnaflow Resntr. -average 232.3 whp

both on 04 6mt sedan.
We also measured dBs and Stillen came in second after Greddy Evo on SCed 3rd gen Eclipse.

I agree with Gting, I wouldn't put Stillen on my car for free.
Too loud. But if you're enjoying it - good for you. Just don't think your $1000 Stillen is making more power than quiet $350 custom exhaust.
The link for the Dyno's is dead

Old 03-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Actually there are all kinds of earlier Maximas that crack the 14s bone stock so this is not a stretch. Lots of them can't but the ones that do are not freaks. The lighter mid 90s cars seem as quick as the 00-01s. The 02-03 cars are faster than the 04-05s.

QUOTE "I was just curious, since the maxima and g35 are clearly like twins, what is the diffrence and which is a better performing car and such?? And is there more parts for the maxima?
thanks in advance"

I have never dragged the G and the new Max but have driven many when car hunting. The new Maxima feels like a boat, mostly due to the seats. You just slide around in them. If you compare the Acura TL to the Max that is the first thing you will notice. Then the cabin size. As far as the G to the Max, different leather, different dash layout, cabin shape, drive axles. There is nothing the same except the VQ (but don't the side windows in the G look like the Altima's?). The G35 m/t seems about as quick as the m/t TL and the m/t Max a couple of tenths slower. I think if you hunt down all the road tests on these cars and average them out it will confirm that, but they are close enough that results will certainly vary. I happen to like the Maxima styling but the 03 and earlier cars felt a bit more sport and a bit less luxury. I have owned an Audi and a Jaguar before and the G reminds me of those cars. A poor man's BMW 540(most of the car for half the price). The Max does not have the European feel at all.

Last edited by nuck; 03-13-2005 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Amazing thread!!!

Let me just preface my post that I have a 2k2 Maxima and if I were to upgrade to a sub-$40k sedan, the G35X would probably be the way I'd go.

Now, in past several months I've test driven the new TL, G35C, G35X and Altima SE-R (I'm still too repulsed by the 6G Maxima's styling to test drive it). Each of these were 5AT.

Out of all, the Alti SE-R easily felt the quickest but the interior materials felt extremely cheap. Although one can be acquired for near invoice (ref.: Edmunds), I still would NOT trade my 02 Maxima for one. But it's a pretty quick ride and shouldnt be underestimated by any G-drivers unless you want your feelings hurt.

Now in comparison with my 02 Maxima, the G35X (MY04) definitely did NOT feel as quick as my Maxima (though it was modded with the Y-pipe only at the time). But, it definitely felt like a better car than my 02 Maxima. And if my own Maxima is any indicator, I'm certain the G gets quicker after breakin.

Sidenote: IMO, the TL and G35X are almost equally attractive replacements for my Maxima (should the time come for a trade up). But the G35 sedan has something about it that makes it more attractive to me: Built in Japan!!! (Sorry TL.)

As it is, I'm just biding my time until I'm ready to get a CTS-V.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fact that a certain car "felt" faster is subjective. Your Maxima has steeper gears than a G35X so it may "feel" quicker but judging by your mph (93) I doubt it is faster than a stock G35x.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:35 AM
The fact that a certain car "felt" faster is subjective. Your Maxima has steeper gears than a G35X so it may "feel" quicker but judging by your mph (93) I doubt it is faster than a stock G35x.
Dont take my post as an insult on the X (feel + subjective = duh!). The dealership wouldnt allow me to bring the test driven cars to the track for a time trial (go figure) so the SOTP feel coupled with my Maxima's established ETs is all I had to go on (go figure again).

Old 03-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Do you really think the aero package and drag issues really work for the speeds most people will drive? I guess you believe the civics with the huge wings are actually using it for it's intended purpose too. Look I'm by no means tring to put down the G, I just bought one myself 04 6 sp. and love it to death. Thing is every forum I am a member of no-one likes to hear that another vehicle is faster than their model, unless of course it's a no brainer. Me I don't give a crap, if something is faster than what I drive, oh well, just as long as I love what I drive.
Actually, air drag starts as slow as 35mph. At least the way I think of it as the sped at which it starts taking more hp to over come air friction than it takes to overcome rolling friction. Since our G's are fairly slick, that could be 45-50Mph for us.

As for those big air dams, I mean wings. Completely useless. Even the factory G spoiler is just a zero drag, meaning it doesn't cost anything. The benefit from the aero package is the underbody diffusers. But that wouldn't look very good in an ad, would it?

Even the bug deflectors you see on trucks and SUV's drop your aerodynamics. I put one on my g/f's Grand Cherokee and it cost 2-3 MPG. It only lasted 3 tanks and was GONE!

Old 03-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Maxima are ok

Old 04-06-2005, 12:48 AM
I love this thread. Only because I owned both a 2k2 and now drive a 2k3 maxima. Here is my thoughts.

I always wanted to get a G35, I crashed my 2k2 maxima a while back (6speed fully loaded) and was going to pick up a G35 6MT sedan (not really feelin coupes for some reason). Here was the problem.

G35 - MSRP $42K CDN, after dealer negotiation $40K CDN + TAX

Maxima 2k3 - MSRP $38K CDN, after dealer negotiation $31.5K + Tax

Now after all said and done, its nearly a 12K difference between the two cars.

Now i tried to justify the 12K difference as follows:
G35 advantages:
Sportier, RWD to die for!!! (death to FWD), nicer interior, more compact, much better suspension layout, did i mention RWD?

Maxima 2k3 advantages:
Heated steering wheel, trip computer, aftermarket radio possiblities (i have a 7" screen and aftermarket system) without paying outrageous $300+US for a double din pack for G35 (although that really isnt a big thing)...

All said and done, i creally couldnt justify the $12K difference and ended up with a 2k3 maxima. Am I happy? no.. I should have forked over the G35, cuz i love modding cars, and i would have driven and modded the crap out of the G35, even more so with performance because of the RWD setup.

However i would like to note, I am not very good at the 1/4 mile but my best times are as follows (6speed):
2k2 maxima - consecutive 14.6second 1/4 mile time with a 60 foot time (dont laugh) of 2.6-2.8
2k3 maxima -consecutive 14.5 second 1/4 mile time with same 60 foot time, launch RPM = 1200RPMS (avoid wheel hop).

I have ran 3 G35coupes and walked them (havent met a G35 that could pull away from me). STOCK on STOCK.. no mods..

But which is the better car? G35 hands down. If i did it again i would get the G35 for sure. And i still hate myself for making the wrong choice.

Anyhow, here is my maxima:

http://members.cardomain.com/minirx07

(includes crash photos, mods, body kit, rims, etc.)

Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniRX7
I love this thread. Only because I owned both a 2k2 and now drive a 2k3 maxima. Here is my thoughts.

I always wanted to get a G35, I crashed my 2k2 maxima a while back (6speed fully loaded) and was going to pick up a G35 6MT sedan (not really feelin coupes for some reason). Here was the problem.

G35 - MSRP $42K CDN, after dealer negotiation $40K CDN + TAX

Maxima 2k3 - MSRP $38K CDN, after dealer negotiation $31.5K + Tax

Now after all said and done, its nearly a 12K difference between the two cars.

Now i tried to justify the 12K difference as follows:
G35 advantages:
Sportier, RWD to die for!!! (death to FWD), nicer interior, more compact, much better suspension layout, did i mention RWD?

Maxima 2k3 advantages:
Heated steering wheel, trip computer, aftermarket radio possiblities (i have a 7" screen and aftermarket system) without paying outrageous $300+US for a double din pack for G35 (although that really isnt a big thing)...

All said and done, i creally couldnt justify the $12K difference and ended up with a 2k3 maxima. Am I happy? no.. I should have forked over the G35, cuz i love modding cars, and i would have driven and modded the crap out of the G35, even more so with performance because of the RWD setup.

However i would like to note, I am not very good at the 1/4 mile but my best times are as follows (6speed):
2k2 maxima - consecutive 14.6second 1/4 mile time with a 60 foot time (dont laugh) of 2.6-2.8
2k3 maxima -consecutive 14.5 second 1/4 mile time with same 60 foot time, launch RPM = 1200RPMS (avoid wheel hop).

I have ran 3 G35coupes and walked them (havent met a G35 that could pull away from me). STOCK on STOCK.. no mods..

But which is the better car? G35 hands down. If i did it again i would get the G35 for sure. And i still hate myself for making the wrong choice.

Anyhow, here is my maxima:

http://members.cardomain.com/minirx07

(includes crash photos, mods, body kit, rims, etc.)
You were the better driver against those Gs. Your 1/4 times are a little slow compared to the 6-speed G35 coupe. Go look at the timeslips in the coupe section and most will run under 14.5. Many have consistently hit 14.2 and a few 13.9x. I've played with Maximas and I pulled on the highway...is my car faster? Don't know...it was probably me getting the jump first. The cars are really a driver's race but 1/4 times and traps support the fact that the G35 is a tad faster.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by EZZ
You were the better driver against those Gs. Your 1/4 times are a little slow compared to the 6-speed G35 coupe. Go look at the timeslips in the coupe section and most will run under 14.5. Many have consistently hit 14.2 and a few 13.9x. I've played with Maximas and I pulled on the highway...is my car faster? Don't know...it was probably me getting the jump first. The cars are really a driver's race but 1/4 times and traps support the fact that the G35 is a tad faster.
Agreed.. again, my times are retarded because i can't launch my car for 2 reasons, poor tires (potenzas RE92 at the time) and because i am a NEWBIE at the drag strip.

On the opposite side, I have seen stock maximas go as low as 14.1 6speed posted in our maxima.org time slip section as well.....

Mind you, when i ran the 1/4 mile time with my system in the trunk , the best i could muster up was a 15.2 sec.. hahahahah as soon as i removed it, 14.5... WTF!..

Regardless, the G35 rocks, i love the sedan, 6 speed manual RWD is the ONLY way to roll... plus with a body kit, it looks amazing...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. maxima