G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

g35x 6spd?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35x 6spd?

does the g35x come in 6 speed? i may be in the market for a new car and wanted the new AUDI A3 3.2 6spd. however they are not bringing the 6spd to the US. then i was willing to settle for the 2.0t and chip it but it wont come in quattro for another year or so.

Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, it doesn't... It has been a common "complaint" though...

Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a3/msgs/20380.phtml

There are now rumors that the Quattro won't be offered with the 2.0T at all...

So getting a true 6 speed manual with Quattro looks like it won't happen, since the 3.2 will be DSG - which is an awesome piece of technology, but I still don't want it.

I wanted the AWD because I did not want the FWD handling... didn't really need it due to weather. So the RWD G35 fit it for me.

Click the above link for my diatribe.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Audi_2_7t
does the g35x come in 6 speed? i may be in the market for a new car and wanted the new AUDI A3 3.2 6spd. however they are not bringing the 6spd to the US. then i was willing to settle for the 2.0t and chip it but it wont come in quattro for another year or so.
if you're looking for a plush car AWD lots of power and a manual xsmn, you may want to take a look at the SUBARU LEGACY GT LIMITED. It has good value for the money, unless of course you're dead set on going for the nameplates you've mentioned.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the X doesn't come in a 6 speed. But, the auto is fun to drive in manual mode and the rev matching on the downshifts is awesome. Kinda like having a stick without a clutch. I drove an 89 Maxima a while back with a 5 speed. While I liked shifting, it got real old in traffic.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by trebien

So getting a true 6 speed manual with Quattro looks like it won't happen, since the 3.2 will be DSG - which is an awesome piece of technology, but I still don't want it.

I wanted the AWD because I did not want the FWD handling... didn't really need it due to weather. So the RWD G35 fit it for me.

Read your diatribe and agree 100%. I would have gotten the 2005.5 A4 with 255 hp and real navi in a shot if it had come in a stick. I also would have sprung for the extra $ and got the new A6 if it came with a stick. I did not consider the Audi A4 or A6 in 2004 due to Audi not having a real navi-just bogus arrows on a small screen. I don't understand why Audi does what they do-obviously they are in business to make $ and have determined that the choices they make are in their best financial intererest, but they will not get my business with the equipment combinations they choose to offer.

BTW I saw that some guy and his friends on the Audi line was very unimpressed with the power on the 298 hp G. I have a 6 spd on order and took 1 short test drive in an 04-not enough to really form a solid opinion-so rhetorical as it may seem what is your impression on the response of your 05 6spd-do you have to reach the upper rpms to get any real power or are these guys full of hot air?

See above for my post as the quotes got all messed up and I have to enter 10 characters below the quote

Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by trebien

i read your post on audiworld. i might be in the same boat as you. i love my car but it is getting up there in terms of the mileage. might be in the market for a new car in the next 1/2 year or so. only audi that fits my taste rite now would be the S4. 6spd, quattro. but over 50g's after tax and interest might be too much for my blood. my buddy has a g35 coupe (kwakman) but the coupe never really did it for me interms of style. i guess its preference. if i was to get a G it would be a sedan. the most attractive part of the G is the price for me.
with that being said...i was really hoping for a 6spd AWD but i guess i wont find it in a G35. perhaps a sti or a evo will do. one thing is for sure....i miss my 99 I30's reliability/cost of parts. freaking timing belt and water pump on my audi is 1000 at a indy shop

Old 03-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Corgidog
BTW I saw that some guy and his friends on the Audi line was very unimpressed with the power on the 298 hp G. I have a 6 spd on order and took 1 short test drive in an 04-not enough to really form a solid opinion-so rhetorical as it may seem what is your impression on the response of your 05 6spd-do you have to reach the upper rpms to get any real power or are these guys full of hot air?
Unimpressed with the power in a car that's faster than the A3/A4, IS300, TL, 3 series, C class vehicles that it competes with? OK - sure.

Hot air / Manufacturer bias / whatever you want to call it. I've had and raced many fast cars, some torque monsters, and others were high-revving horsepower engines. Just different ways to make power. However, I would not consider the G35 low on torque by any means - I was actually pleasantly surprised. It still pulls decently in 6th gear on the highway... and you can always downshift. I WILL say this - it doesn't make much noise until at least 3000 rpms, so it may not "feel" like it's making power.

The 6MT G35 is a 3500 pound car with peak 298 HP and 260 torque - and a fairly linear torque delivery as well, thanks to the variable intake and exhaust valving. The 0-60 is probably less than 6 seconds, and the 1/4 mile is around 14. This is considerably faster than any A4 that's been out in recent years, even the new ones out now, which are just too damn heavy for the engines they have. Of course, S4 not included. It will probably even be slightly faster than the new smaller/lighter A3 3.2 (quattro drivetrain loss, less power, only 50 pounds less weight). Audi has really made a mistake with their cars getting heavier and heavier, but not increasing the power.

Sure, Infiniti could have easily taken the 3.5 liter engine up to 320-330 horsepower, no problem. But at the expense of low end torque and drivability - like a rev-happy S2000 or M3 engine. Instead, they produced a very powerful, but very driveable engine with good balance of torque and horsepower at both ends of the spectrum.

I wouldn't worry at all. And if you still do... the dealership should let you test drive again. That should do it.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Audi_2_7t
i read your post on audiworld. i might be in the same boat as you.
Also, the new bigger, more powerful, sleeker Lexus IS should be out towards the end of the year - it's shaping up to be a nice car on paper. If I had the option of waiting, it definitely would have been on the list. But I bet it goes for several thousand above the G35 price with similar equipment.