G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2004 Sedan maintenance 88k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
04 G35 Sedan performance package. 70k Eibach springs and sway bars. 19 inch wheels. Plenum spacer.
2004 Sedan maintenance 88k

This weekend I decided to change out the cam sensors and the crank sensor before they failed. Bought Hitachi old style sensors from Rockauto for $40 each. Cam sensor change was very easy from the passenger side. Changed the oil and used a WIX 51347. Specs for 51347 9-11 gpm. 21 microns, 8-11 psi bypass. The 51358 is very small by comparison. Similar specs. 8-10 gpm. 21 micron. 8 psi bypass. When I changed the crank sensor I noticed oil on the starter and bell housing. Nothing inside. Traced to the passenger side valve cover. New OEM covers ordered. New centric front rotors installed. Old ones were warped. Did my 2nd drain and fill on the transmission. Still need to change the transmission mount. Have a vibration with the ac on. Any tips on the valve cover change would be appreciated.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G35 Sedan Leather Base, Z1 Plenum Spacer, Z Tube (Currently sold to a friend)
I've been reading up on the valve cover procedure as I too need to change my passenger side due to a leak. I ordered a 2004/05 Maxima cover for the passenger side based on the DIY post as it was described as the improved design and required no modifications. Amazon had the Nissan branded cover for $140. Downloaded the factory service manual pages I need but never found the TSB others had mentioned in regards to installing new valve covers.

While you are in there, might as well change the spark plugs. I got OEM plugs on eBay for $21 a set. I am also adding a z1 intake plenum spacer along with new intake and throttle body gaskets since it is suggested not to reuse them.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:05 AM
04 G35 Sedan performance package. 70k Eibach springs and sway bars. 19 inch wheels. Plenum spacer.
Originally Posted by kelman81
I've been reading up on the valve cover procedure as I too need to change my passenger side due to a leak. I ordered a 2004/05 Maxima cover for the passenger side based on the DIY post as it was described as the improved design and required no modifications. Amazon had the Nissan branded cover for $140. Downloaded the factory service manual pages I need but never found the TSB others had mentioned in regards to installing new valve covers.

While you are in there, might as well change the spark plugs. I got OEM plugs on eBay for $21 a set. I am also adding a z1 intake plenum spacer along with new intake and throttle body gaskets since it is suggested not to reuse them.
I bough OEM covers from Z speed. Was 400 with shipping. I changed the plugs at 72k. I still need to buy an intake gasket. I already have a plenum spacer. Thanks for the reply. I will say my car runs so much smoother with new cam and crank sensors.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Pbfoot
I bough OEM covers from Z speed. Was 400 with shipping. I changed the plugs at 72k. I still need to buy an intake gasket. I already have a plenum spacer. Thanks for the reply. I will say my car runs so much smoother with new cam and crank sensors.
I will definitely go to Z source or Z1 for the G35 oem cover if I get in there and find the driver's side is leaking as well. I don't want to get the maxima cover and modify things for it to work on the driver's side. I'm hoping my original driver's side cover is still good and figured I would wait and see once I open it up.

I did the cam shaft sensors too at 65k miles when my passenger side one started tripping out. Went with the same Hitachi old style oem ones. Like you said it really wasn't bad to change them. Something I regret about doing them is I re used the ring gaskets from the originals. They aren't leaking now but would like to put on new sensor gaskets if I can find the part number. I've got the crank sensor waiting to install for when I need it. Seems the engine just goes into limp mode when it fails, doesn't shut off like the crank sensor malfunctions.

If you need them I got the intake gaskets from Amazon. They were an excellent price for quality brands.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Valve cover change was not bad. Passenger side was more difficult. #6 was the only plug well that had oil.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Good work and some very worthwhile maintenance.

I just got my valve covers on as well last night. Took me the better part of two weekends. Was surprised to see no oil in any of the spark plug wells, but the little drips from the outer gaskets were enough for me to change them out. The OEM Maxima cover upgrade was probably not worth the $80 I saved over the G/Z covers, not with the $$ I spent buying a new Dremel to grind down the lower intake plenum so the oil cap would work. Also had to extend the #6 igniter lead for the Maxima cover mod.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by kelman81
Good work and some very worthwhile maintenance.

I just got my valve covers on as well last night. Took me the better part of two weekends. Was surprised to see no oil in any of the spark plug wells, but the little drips from the outer gaskets were enough for me to change them out. The OEM Maxima cover upgrade was probably not worth the $80 I saved over the G/Z covers, not with the $$ I spent buying a new Dremel to grind down the lower intake plenum so the oil cap would work. Also had to extend the #6 igniter lead for the Maxima cover mod.
Thanks. Planning spring maintenance. Lower control arms only have 35k on them. Going to replace the uppers, compression arms and tie rods. Radiator as well. 15 years is pushing it on a radiator, even with low miles. I noticed the upper oil pan is weeping. Sigh. Will have to pull the front subframe to fix that. Never ending maintenance. Lol.