G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Key will not turn - its complicated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 02:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Infiniti g35x
Key will not turn - its complicated

Hey guys, so in the last few months I’ve got myself in a pickle. I ended up losing my only key to my g35x. I then towed it to the dealer.

The car sat for a month just for them to charge me 800 bucks and to tell me that they can’t program my key, and that I have an aftermarket alarm system. They also said that I’d need a new ignition, and that they don’t sell it anymore so there’s nothing they can do.

A couple days ago, I picked up a cheap 06 g35x (same make and model) in hopes of swapping everything over. The car did in fact start. Today I swapped over the ignition, gauge cluster, ecu and bcm from the cheap g35x to my g35x. I go to try and start it and the key won’t turn. The car beeps just like when you would normally put the key in the ignition, and the red alarm light doesn’t flash. Any ideas?

ps. I already tried shaking my steering wheel left and right

Old 06-12-2021, 04:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35x
I’d swap the column assy over, something is either missing, or may be jammed up. Does it work until you install it in the car?

Old 06-12-2021, 06:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think there's a misunderstanding how the system works.

The BCM has the programming for the key RFID chip, when you turn the ignition switch the BCM reads the key, if it's on the list of programmed keys it then sends the ok signal to the ECM, then the ECM starts the engine by closing relays in the IPDM.

You cannot use the new BCM with the keys programmed to the old BCM, you MUST either have the new BCM programmed to accept the keys or switch out the lock cylinder in the steering column so that the matching key is used with that new BCM.

Pretty easy to swap out the lock cylinder, no need to replace the entire steering column.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35x
Originally Posted by cleric670
I think there's a misunderstanding how the system works.

The BCM has the programming for the key RFID chip, when you turn the ignition switch the BCM reads the key, if it's on the list of programmed keys it then sends the ok signal to the ECM, then the ECM starts the engine by closing relays in the IPDM.

You cannot use the new BCM with the keys programmed to the old BCM, you MUST either have the new BCM programmed to accept the keys or switch out the lock cylinder in the steering column so that the matching key is used with that new BCM.

Pretty easy to swap out the lock cylinder, no need to replace the entire steering column.
The way I read it was that his key simply would not turn, after which he replaced the ignition switch, bcm, and other stuff from a donor car, which was all working, but now he has the same issue-key will not turn. My thinking is that something in the column is preventing the key from turning since it’s a mechanical action, so programming, etc…would not be an issue.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Ahh yeah I misread it, he did replace the ignition switch with the donor.

OP, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE it's not just the steering turn lock engaging to one side preventing the key from turning?

Also, do you have a regular old key or do you have the intelligent key system? Take a picture of your key and post it if you're unsure. The reason I ask is the iKey system in 2006 did have an electronic ignition lock on it which required either the fob or proximity to the key RFID chip to unlock. However you are making it sound like you're using the physical key to turn the ignition which is possible with the iKey but the system was always designed as a keyless ignition system. The keys look very different if it's actually an iKey physical key instead of the non-iKey physical key.

If you're unable to take a picture then do you insert the key into the dash (not the ikey system) or do you insert the key into the steering column (iKey system).

Old 06-13-2021, 08:06 AM
Infiniti g35x
Originally Posted by cleric670
Ahh yeah I misread it, he did replace the ignition switch with the donor.

OP, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE it's not just the steering turn lock engaging to one side preventing the key from turning?

Also, do you have a regular old key or do you have the intelligent key system? Take a picture of your key and post it if you're unsure. The reason I ask is the iKey system in 2006 did have an electronic ignition lock on it which required either the fob or proximity to the key RFID chip to unlock. However you are making it sound like you're using the physical key to turn the ignition which is possible with the iKey but the system was always designed as a keyless ignition system. The keys look very different if it's actually an iKey physical key instead of the non-iKey physical key.

If you're unable to take a picture then do you insert the key into the dash (not the ikey system) or do you insert the key into the steering column (iKey system).
Hey, I have the intelligent key system but the battery in the fob to the key from the donor car is dead. However, the key worked just fine in the donor car. Again, their both 2006 g35x models. I may try swapping the steering columns over because I’m not sure what else it could be.

Also, I insert the key into the steering column.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:06 AM
Received 99 Likes on 85 Posts
Maybe try a battery in that fob before you go tearing the steering column apart? Just an idea. Are you using the physical key from the fob or a normal larger key? Did you also swap your door lock cylinder from the donor so you can lock the car?

The ignition switch in '06 is a press and turn thing, right? Meaning even without a physical key in the slot, as long as the car finds an iKey you should be able to press the brake pedal, push in the ignition switch, and twist it to start. Try to get that iKey working!

Old 06-13-2021, 11:45 AM
Infiniti g35x
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
Maybe try a battery in that fob before you go tearing the steering column apart? Just an idea. Are you using the physical key from the fob or a normal larger key? Did you also swap your door lock cylinder from the donor so you can lock the car?

The ignition switch in '06 is a press and turn thing, right? Meaning even without a physical key in the slot, as long as the car finds an iKey you should be able to press the brake pedal, push in the ignition switch, and twist it to start. Try to get that iKey working!
Yeah the ignition is a push turn thingy. I did try a new battery in the fob just now and no luck. However, I haven’t switched over the lock cylinder yet… maybe if I can get the ikey lock/unlock the car that can rule another thing out… I think I’ll start there

Old 06-13-2021, 11:50 AM
Infiniti g35x
By the way… I still have two keys that will unlock the car (the one I’m trying to start). One valet key, and another from the dealer. They told me that the valet key isn’t used to start the car, only unlock the car which makes no sense. The other key is from the dealer which they tried programming and had no luck.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
It's likely the electric lock disable solenoid that's mounted on the back side of the lock cylinder, that's the only component that would actually prevent the lock cylinder from turning. It's only a component on the 2005-2006 G35 with the twist start iKey system. Later iKey went to a push button on the dash.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Now I'm confused. You've gone to a hell of a lot of trouble because you lost your key - but you still have two: "... one valet key, another from the dealer" - neither of which would start the car? And you also have an iKey fob with its internal key, from which car?

Are you maybe referring to the "wallet key" which is the thin metal one with no chip? That one is only useful to unlock the car when the battery has died and no electrical systems are working, I don't think it can start the car. However, the "valet key" does have a chip and can operate any lock except the glove compartment (and thus the trunk if you throw the switch in the glovebox). Meaning, a valet (logically) can lock or unlock the car, start the engine, and drive it.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find a replacement iKey fob of '06 vintage that can be programmed to communicate with your car - whichever black boxes you have in it. There must be some combination of these pieces that will get your car back on the road...

Old 06-13-2021, 02:08 PM
Infiniti g35x
Now I'm confused. You've gone to a hell of a lot of trouble because you lost your key - but you still have two: "... one valet key, another from the dealer" - neither of which would start the car? And you also have an iKey fob with its internal key, from which car?

Are you maybe referring to the "wallet key" which is the thin metal one with no chip? That one is only useful to unlock the car when the battery has died and no electrical systems are working, I don't think it can start the car. However, the "valet key" does have a chip and can operate any lock except the glove compartment (and thus the trunk if you throw the switch in the glovebox). Meaning, a valet (logically) can lock or unlock the car, start the engine, and drive it.

I find it hard to believe that you can't find a replacement iKey fob of '06 vintage that can be programmed to communicate with your car - whichever black boxes you have in it. There must be some combination of these pieces that will get your car back on the road...

Ok, so I have number 2 (cut from the dealer after I lost the key) and 3 (came with the car but was never able to start the car, can unlock the car now) for the car I’m trying to get back on the road.

from the donor car I have number 1. The Nissan dealer is known to be very incompetent.

this car isn’t even my summer car lol, it’s just my winter beater. Crazy that it’s giving me so much trouble

Old 06-13-2021, 06:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Here are snippets from the relevant sections of the FSM.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:21 PM
You didn't mention swapping the "iKey Unit" which is near the BCM... That would need to come from the donor too.

The following users liked this post:
Ponyryd (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 07:53 PM
Infiniti g35x
You didn't mention swapping the "iKey Unit" which is near the BCM... That would need to come from the donor too.
Thanks man, didn’t realize this. Will swap it over!

The following users liked this post:
Ponyryd (06-14-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key will not turn - its complicated