G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 or Acura TL for a Family Car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 or Acura TL for a Family Car?

Does anyone have kids or newborns? Basically, I am expecting a child later this year and I am looking at the G35 sedan or Acura TL as a family car. My wife has a Tahoe and I have a race lowered Integra. I can't use the Integra as a baby mobile. I want a nice sporty sedan but yet feasible for transporting a baby. My options are to buy a G35 sedan and install Eibach Pro Kit springs or an Acura TL with the A-Spec package. Would anybody have any pro's or con's about a G35 sedan lowered 1" with a baby? Or any recommendations about purchasing the G35 or TL A-spec for a family car?

Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I have had 2 Acuras and loved them both but HATED the FWD! I haven't poked around the new TL yet, but the rear doors of the G open REALLY wide so it's very easy to get in and out of. A plus if you are stuffing rugrats into a car seat.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
TL A-Spec. Had it for 2days as a loner car when out 99TL was getting the 60k mile check up.

Car was a blast to drive. And sound system was excellent.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with either of those choices. I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old. The 18 month old was 4 months old when I got my Sedan.

As long as the ride isn't COMPLETELY hard I wouldn't be too concerned about it. - Unless you and your newborn are going to be speding 20 hours a day in the car. Trust me, you won't be going anywhere anyways. Just to Wal-Mart to buy diapers and your local tiddy bar to get away for a couple hours

Old 03-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Yeah, either one should be a good family car. Statistically, a decent sized car is much safer than a truck. You shouldn't have to worry about it based on peoples' accident experiences and the crash ratings both cars got.

That said, my family enjoys the h*ll out of our G. It's a fantastic car to drive and it's very roomy/comfortable inside.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 PM
I went through this exact decision process just a month and a half ago. After evaluating both cars the G won hands down. Look/Drive/Comfort all went to the G IMO.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TL is a nice car but I can tell your a performance oriented type a guy. Don't sell yourself short buying another FWD car. Get the sedan with a 6speed. You won't regret it

Old 03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Suspension warning

I'm sure either car would work great. I have two kids under 2 years old and my G35x is perfect as a family sedan (we have an MPV for when the baby gear gets out of control).

I'd be wary of suspension changes. Before my G35x I had a BMW 328i with a Dinan Stage II suspension. The adjustable Koni's are supposed to be a nice balance between ride and incredible handling. They were exactly that until I started putting my newborn son and wife in the car on a regular basis. On New York roads it was just too rough. That's the main reason I went looking. The G35x suspension seems to be a great balance, as I'm sure the TLs would be.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2005, 10:31 PM
G35 in the lead by a hair.

Thank you all for the feedback, it looks like I am leaning more toward the G35 just because it has more torque, RWD and it would cost less than a TL A-Spec. However, the TL does get better gas mileage on paper. Well I still havn't made my final decision but more responses would be great.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:33 PM
It's a tough choice between two very good sedans. Honestly, my wife and I trying to have our first child and will be needing to trade in our "other" car (2001 Maxima) in a few years since it has 65K miles on it already. If gas prices continue to skyrocket like I expect them to, we'll probably get the smaller Acura TSX for many of the same reasons you describe.

Like someone else mentioned, you're statistically much safer in a secure handling sedan as opposed to a clunky Truck/SUV. I would (did) pick the G35 over the TL, but that's only because I wanted a "SPORT" sedan. Our family plan will be to have one sporty sedan (G35) and a very reliable car that gets good gas milage as our second vehicle. The $25K TSX accomplishes that.

Old 03-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Considering same issues

Have two kids, w/ another on the way.

Driven G35 Sport and TL several times. For everything other than handling, I'd take the TL.

In the handling dept. this car is a step above an accord, camery, no more.

Exterior looks? I favor the G35
Interior looks? TL, no contest

Power? in 6 speeds, I lean toward TL. Very, fast, smooth.
Power? in Auto - G35

Handling - G35, not even close. Test it on turnpikes, etc. UNREAL. The sedan is only slightly behind the coupe.

Stereo? - TL, no contest
other Bells and whistles? - TL, no contest

Reliability? Consumer reports states G35 is better, stating TL as marginal/average

Got to have it factor = Equal, but Sport G35 gets the nod for me

MPG - TL

I was very close to purchasing a 330i sport, i pulled out, last minute.

I'm still deciding on 330, TL, and G35. It is literally a dead even split between the three (for me).

If you're basing your decision on sport & ride, go w/ the 330, than G. If it's ride first, before performance go w/ TL. It's the best for normal driving, IMO. But when you want to let 'er go, you'll want more.

The new '06 Lexus is out soon, might want to wait. Should be sweet.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Jp1
Acura for the interior bells and whistles
G for the exterior look and ride

that's it!

Old 03-21-2005, 11:55 PM
both great cars

I bought out my father's G35 lease. He got a TL. The TL is more refined and smooth. The TL handles really well, but he still says that he's amazed with the G35's handling and smooth cruising whenever he drives it.

The TL cruises at highway speeds at just above idle, giving it the hands-down fuel economy win. Stereo is better in the TL.

The TL puts a lot of power through those front wheels... gotta have the RWD in the G !!!

Old 03-22-2005, 10:01 AM
I am in the exact same decision, G35 or TL. How bad is the sound system in the G35? I tested it and was happy with it. It does feel as a great car. Now how much is the average of MPG on the G35? On my current 03 TL it is about 18 or so. Of course being the hard driver that I am...

Old 03-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Downtown
Have two kids, w/ another on the way.

Driven G35 Sport and TL several times. For everything other than handling, I'd take the TL.

In the handling dept. this car is a step above an accord, camery, no more.

Exterior looks? I favor the G35
Interior looks? TL, no contest

Power? in 6 speeds, I lean toward TL. Very, fast, smooth.
Power? in Auto - G35

Handling - G35, not even close. Test it on turnpikes, etc. UNREAL. The sedan is only slightly behind the coupe.

Stereo? - TL, no contest
other Bells and whistles? - TL, no contest

Reliability? Consumer reports states G35 is better, stating TL as marginal/average

Got to have it factor = Equal, but Sport G35 gets the nod for me

MPG - TL

I was very close to purchasing a 330i sport, i pulled out, last minute.

I'm still deciding on 330, TL, and G35. It is literally a dead even split between the three (for me).

If you're basing your decision on sport & ride, go w/ the 330, than G. If it's ride first, before performance go w/ TL. It's the best for normal driving, IMO. But when you want to let 'er go, you'll want more.

The new '06 Lexus is out soon, might want to wait. Should be sweet.
Funny that you bring that up. Actually, the TL and G35 are vehicles that we would settle for. I actually want to get a certified pre-owned 01-02 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG ($40k-$55k). That car is a monster and I love it! However, my wife is not too fond of it and she'd like a brand new BMW 530 ($46k-$6k). So, the only two cars that we can truly afford without any issues of expensive repairs, maintenance and higher insurance costs are the Japanese near luxury sedans (G35 or TL). Those cars are almost bulletproof when it comes to reliability and integrity. Anyways, if we wait long enough we might get the 530. Don't you think the 330 is too small, especially compared to a G35 or TL? Dimensions; the 5 series is a better comparison. Price; the 330 is a better comparison.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 or Acura TL for a Family Car?