G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

What RPM to you shift the 1-2 on your 5AT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
What RPM to you shift the 1-2 on your 5AT?

The reason I ask is because the torque management on this tranny is horrible on the 1-2 shift if you do it manually. I can't think of one occasion where I was actually able to grab a clean manual WOT 1-2 shift without that annoying slight power delay before fully engaging 2nd or sometimes I'll tag the limiter. If I let the tranny do it's own thing, it happily shifts the 1-2 right at 6500rpms with no interferance. I've tried manually shifting anywhere between 6000-6400rpms. BTW, I'm not talking about a shift delay because my tranny is happy to respond. This is clearly a torque management system designed to reduce the torque load on the 1-2 shift. I've felt the same thing on late model Dodge trucks and various Fords I rent for work and I've noticed it in my friend's 03 and 04 G sedans.

I can shift the 2-3 at 6300rpms and it will shift right at 6700rpms with no interferance from the torque management nor will it bump the limiter.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get Gord's 10 wire hypergounding kit, the shifts will be much more responsive!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
might try turning off the VDC....it might be keeping you from hitting the tires with too much power, causing wheel spin.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
The reason I ask is because the torque management on this tranny is horrible on the 1-2 shift if you do it manually. I can't think of one occasion where I was actually able to grab a clean manual WOT 1-2 shift without that annoying slight power delay before fully engaging 2nd or sometimes I'll tag the limiter. If I let the tranny do it's own thing, it happily shifts the 1-2 right at 6500rpms with no interferance. I've tried manually shifting anywhere between 6000-6400rpms. BTW, I'm not talking about a shift delay because my tranny is happy to respond. This is clearly a torque management system designed to reduce the torque load on the 1-2 shift. I've felt the same thing on late model Dodge trucks and various Fords I rent for work and I've noticed it in my friend's 03 and 04 G sedans.

I can shift the 2-3 at 6300rpms and it will shift right at 6700rpms with no interferance from the torque management nor will it bump the limiter.
I myself have been trying to get the most out of this manumatic but it's very obvious there's no substitue for a manual transmission. Anyway, I know exactly what you are saying. To avoid it, just punch it to whatever rpm, let go of the gas completely, shift, and then gas it. Just like how most people does it with a manual. It does get a bit jerky. Either that or go easy on the gas before the shift. Once you are on 2nd and then going forward you can gas it, let go, shift, then gas. It feels a bit more manual transmission like when you do that versus stepping on the gas a bit then shifting. There are flaws in manuamatic but I try to deal with it. If you really want to go fast without worrying about the sudden jerk from the engine while shifting, better off leaving it in D.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont use my manumatic unless i have to downshift to pass a truck on the expressway or im doing a lil "street racing". yes i street race when i get the chance. but whenever i shift when in manumatic i shift at redline. i dont see any other purpose to using the manumaitc mode if your not trying to get the most out of the revs.

mike2 im gonna have to disagree with you about lifting off the gas when u shift. there is no need for that on our cars.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB

I agree with Cato...just get Gordgee's 10-wire GroundingGear® system (with the #9 ECU and #10 TCU wires) and the MM upshifting delay will be all but gone. You'll be a lot happier driving your G in MM mode! I think most agree this is one of the best mods for the G35. PM Gordgee for pricing and more info.

BTW - I don't lift off the gas when I upshift either; with the GG system, my MM upshifts are smooth and almost immediate, even at redline.

Last edited by bsgoren; 04-06-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:43 AM
I don't lift off the gas between shifts either, but it might be interesting to compare the results.

I shift 1-2 ~6800
2-3 ~6900 (TS rev limiter is at 7100)

Not sure of the accuracy of our gauges though. Now that I have the Innovate Motorsports datalogger, I'll be capturing some runs.

-Ted

Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBillMartin
i dont use my manumatic unless i have to downshift to pass a truck on the expressway or im doing a lil "street racing". yes i street race when i get the chance. but whenever i shift when in manumatic i shift at redline. i dont see any other purpose to using the manumaitc mode if your not trying to get the most out of the revs.

mike2 im gonna have to disagree with you about lifting off the gas when u shift. there is no need for that on our cars.
I said that because the person that posted the original thread was hitting the rev limiter because of the auto shift delay, thus letting go of the gas before shift would solve the issue. That's the way most people drive their manuals anyway. Gas, off gas, shift, gas.

I use manumatic mode (especially in free flowing traffic) so the stupid transmission don't hunt gears... for example...going on local streets at around 40mph...once you let go of gas it upshifts then you gas it again and it downshifts...do that for 2 minutes and the transmission probably shift 50 to 100 times already where if traffic was steady flowing you could be in 4th gear and not shift once in manumatic mode. I don't really use manumatic to hit the red line because there is no guarantee it'll shift in time. I can leave that for D.

Last edited by mikeee2; 04-06-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by detcord
might try turning off the VDC....it might be keeping you from hitting the tires with too much power, causing wheel spin.
Thanks for the idea. While I know my car doesn't have enough power to spin the tires much at all into 2nd (only a chirp on occassion), I turned off the VDC and did some WOT manual 1-2 shifts. With the VDC off, the interference of the torquement isn't nearly as severe. It's still there, but a majority of the slop is gone. Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Bringing this up from the dead. Has some good points.

Anyway. I was foolin' around with the take offs with my 03 auto. From a stop, even if I brake torque to about 1500 rpm, there's a big bog at take off. Do you actually have to mash the gas pedel 100% down? Do I have to do this to get the ecu to adapt?

Also downshifts when mashing the gas while moving is pretty slow and laggy

Does the latest TCM tsb reflash version address this issue? Just seems this trans shifts so laggy vs the 05 loaner I had. I know the 4.5+ autos has a revised shift program but even my Type I 03 auto shouldn't be THIS bad.

Ground wires actaully help in this regard?

Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I start to move the lever at 6,000rpm (probably 6,200rpm when I actually tap 2nd gear because of the time delay of the long-throw shifter) I'll run to 6,800rpm w/o bumping the rev limiter. If I leave it in 'D' or any MM mode other than 1, it will upshift at about 6,400rpm.

Jeff, I found that if I brake torque mine to 2,500rpm with a quick 'flash' it will squeal the tires readily w/o bogging. But if I do that method at the track, I'll just spin and get a 2.5-2.6 60ft. DaveB does this method at his track w/o any negative effects on traction.

Auto downshifts are laggy for me as well. Say at 30mph, I floor the car and sometimes I'll get a downshift directly to 1st gear, other times it will downshift into 2nd gear, then finally decide to downshift into 1st gear. These downshifts do not happen in a blink of an eye either.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Thinking about getting the 04.5 tranny flash on my TCU. Anyone else try this?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SixFive
Thinking about getting the 04.5 tranny flash on my TCU. Anyone else try this?
This is my first time hearing of this on this forum....what does it do!?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 PM
How's the issue on the 2006 G35 Sedan?
I'm still in the process of breaking the car in...haven't really tried this.
I know the Lexus LS has this annoying "problem" as well.
-George

Old 04-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I have an 03.5 and I never drive in "D". If I want a clean shift 1-2 at WOT, I usually shift early and let the transmission do it when it is ready. The 03 won't shift if you switch gears way too early. I've had to adapt this way because the 1-2 shift is too slow if you try to do it right at the right RPM. It just ends up hitting the rev limiter and slowing down the whole process.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What RPM to you shift the 1-2 on your 5AT?