G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Have You Changed Your Driving Habits Due to the Price of Gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by wezman
We all drive (or will be) cars that cost between $30,000 and $40,000. Financed, thats over $500/month. If an extra $10 at the pump is really hurting that much, then you probably bought a car you can't truely afford.
Wrong. My payment is MUCH less. I had a clear trade.

Wrong X 2. No one said anything about 'hurting' - it's a question of what you want to dedicate whatever disposable income you have to. A person who can walk in off the street and pay cash for any car they choose isn't likely to drive around town throwing $100 bills out the window just because they can. I can afford the extra bump at the pump, but I don't ENJOY having to expend more of my budget to the gas tank.

People who like to watch where their money goes pay attention to increases in their monthly debits - in this case, gas charges. Other examples of outflow include your mortgage - if my mortgage DOUBLED in the last few years as have gas prices, would you say I bought the wrong house too?

I drive as I always have, except maybe a little slower on the top end where I can. If the speed limit is 65 and the traffic is clear, I'll drive 60. I'm still learning where the G engages it's "suck gas" mode. So far I've been able to average 22 MPG around town and to/from work. Not too bad.

In my truck I've also backed off the top end, as there is a big difference between <65 and >65. I'm able to get around 18 MPG around town and about 22 highway if I keep my foot out of it. Not bad for a 6 CYL making right at 400HP and nearly 750TQ.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JKWright
I swear that if Honda had just put an ounce of style into them, I would've at least taken one for a test drive.
I second that!!

Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I look at it, gas is still the bargain of the century. Had gas gone up with inflation we would be paying $4+/gallon. But I also feel that waisting gas is irresponsible, so my driving style is less aggressive than most, but that's just the way I drive, although I do on occasion take it up a notch when challenged, plus it is important to verify once in a while that your red line limiter still functions properly.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by mrb
"Buy a Kia" is often a stupid comment I hear, here.
I didnt mean it as any offense. But for the most part, if you bought a G35 and you subscribe to this website, you probably love to drive, especially this particular car. The car is a fun car, and though I dont own one, I do plan on purchasing in a few months after I graduate. I am just saying that since I am going to be spending so much on a car, I dont want to have the fun taken away by an extra $10 at the pump. Even if I go to the pump every 2-3 days. (though i dont drive that much)

Old 04-12-2005, 09:55 AM
it is all relative isn't it... Let's say you drive 300 miles a week and the G uses 15 gallons in mixed driving. If you bought a 30MPG car you would use 10 gallons. Or at at 1.75 about 8.75 more a week to drive the g over let's say a camry. Now gas goes up to 2.50 a gallon and the difference is now about 12.50 more to drive a G or 3.75 more to drive the G per week at the higher price. You are always paying for gas no matter what you drive.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I didnt mean it as any offense. But for the most part, if you bought a G35 and you subscribe to this website, you probably love to drive, especially this particular car. The car is a fun car, and though I dont own one, I do plan on purchasing in a few months after I graduate. I am just saying that since I am going to be spending so much on a car, I dont want to have the fun taken away by an extra $10 at the pump. Even if I go to the pump every 2-3 days. (though i dont drive that much)
I understand what you were saying in your first post. The American way of life for many is to dig yourself into debt and live paycheck to paycheck all the while acting as if you have money. I see it all the time, especially with my friend's who are 29-31 year old professionals. We all make decent money, but most of my friend's (and most young people I know) prefer to spend what they don't have on nice big houses, brand new cars, clothes, expensive electronics, eat out a lot, go to bars a lot, etc and they lack any patientence what so ever when it comes to getting something. They've got to have it now. They think this is the way it's suppose to be because of what they see their parents and others do in the upper class suburbs of Kansas City. Very little saving and investing goes on in their households and I really don't see how that type of spending can go on unless they don't want to retire till they're 67 or later. Oddly, they're the ones bitching about the price of gas too.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I analyzed my gas mileage using receipts from 40 fuel stops. Each stop took slightly over 10 gals of fuel and I averaged 19.75 MPG. I figure I do 57% HWY and 43% city. And yes, I have altered the way I drive and what I drive. Firstly, I am conscious of being heavy footed. Secondly, I sold my wifes car as it takes premuim only(My G35 is a 2004 sedan and the manual says reg 87 octane is ok although I use mid grade.) I purchased a Passat turbo diesel that gets 30 - 38 MPG and runs wonderfully. As we car pool to work, I am saving some money. Since we don't know where fuel prices are headed, I am thinking of selling my G35 and getting another diesel and have listed the G on a well known autotrading/selling web site (although I am not sure I will actually sell it.) I also have mortgage payments, am replacing the roof on my house etc and am looking at conserving funds.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:52 AM
I haven’t changed my driving habits at all although I admit that I should try to conserve. My right foot is just as heavy as it’s always been. The only change at all that either of us have made is when we’re driving somewhere together we’ll take my husband’s daily driver since it gets the best mileage out of all our cars. Right now the extra gasoline expense isn’t noticeably cutting into our finances, eventually it might, but I’m really hoping it won’t get that bad.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
I think about slowing down, but when coming from a stop, I can't get those darn metal plates off my foot.

I only gas up about every two weeks. Don't drive much. I suppose if i had to fuel up more often I might try a little harder not to punch it, but probably not. Instead I'll just bi*ch about the flippin oil people making all this money because people have to buy gas.

I think maybe with all the new hybrids coming out they are trying to make money now because in the future they will not. GOOD they derserve it. I can't wait till a bunch more hybrid's come out.

The new accord hybrid is faster than the regular V6. I read a few months back the the FX will be offering a hybrid in the future. Perhaps a lot of performance cars will be offered in a hybrid. I sure hope so then we can tell all the oil companies to.........well you finish that one.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by realgone
I think about slowing down, but when coming from a stop, I can't get those darn metal plates off my foot.

I only gas up about every two weeks. Don't drive much. I suppose if i had to fuel up more often I might try a little harder not to punch it, but probably not. Instead I'll just bi*ch about the flippin oil people making all this money because people have to buy gas.

I think maybe with all the new hybrids coming out they are trying to make money now because in the future they will not. GOOD they derserve it. I can't wait till a bunch more hybrid's come out.

The new accord hybrid is faster than the regular V6. I read a few months back the the FX will be offering a hybrid in the future. Perhaps a lot of performance cars will be offered in a hybrid. I sure hope so then we can tell all the oil companies to.........well you finish that one.
Well, even with hybrid ,we still will be using oil. Todays hybrids use much less fuel. So do the diesel cars. My passat turbo diesel is rated 30 - 38 mpg and the epa figures are very accurate on that car. The new diesels are also very clean running and will be even better with the new lower sulpher diesel fuel coming in 06 or 07. Yse, diesel is higher than reg in cost but probably lee maint required than the hybrids whose maint costs are still unknown due to the newness of the vehicles.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by realgone

There's a new coalition that has just been formed called 'Set America Free'. Basically, the Republicans and Environmentalists are on the same page for a change. They want to decrease our dependency on foreign oil. They want to explore alternative sources of home heating fuel and gas for our cars and our factories. The goal is to cut our dependence on foreign oil in half. However, even with that, there's only so much supply in the world, and with China and India developing more and more each year, don't expect any consumption reduction on our part to show up as a reduced price at the pump. And of course, it's going to be a slow change.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Lip
Yeah, I changed my driving style a bit over the past couple of years. We have been above $2 bucks a gallon here in Palo Alto for a long time now.
With Premium going for about $2.80+/gallon, I try to drive more mellow on the way to work. I don't get on the freeway, so my mileage is already pretty bad. It obviously really helps if I stay well under 1/2 throttle during my short journey.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:15 PM
We all drive (or will be) cars that cost between $30,000 and $40,000. Financed, thats over $500/month. If an extra $10 at the pump is really hurting that much, then you probably bought a car you can't truely afford.
Truest words yet.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:24 PM
adjusting the way I drive.......nope. But we're currently selling our company trucks for the Prius

Old 04-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by SAL9000

Truest words yet.Truest words yet.

No, not true. Just because you don't want to waste money doesn't mean you can't afford it. Hey, if anybody wants to send me $10 a month, every month, I'll take it! BTW, my car is paid in full.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have You Changed Your Driving Habits Due to the Price of Gas?