G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Have You Changed Your Driving Habits Due to the Price of Gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wezman
We all drive (or will be) cars that cost between $30,000 and $40,000. Financed, thats over $500/month. If an extra $10 at the pump is really hurting that much, then you probably bought a car you can't truely afford.
All things change in life. You may be to young to realize it.) Also priorities change. Maybe some of us had kids, or are buying a house, or refinancing to do home improvements etc. Maybe we have parents that need financial assistance or kids that need help. Money is not made on trees. The reality for some may be that they lost a job, got a new job that pays less etc. Todays situation may not be the same as tomorrows. Fuel is up 50 cents per gallon since last year and expected to rise possibly another 50 cents or more. Here in so Florida, premuim is about 2.70 gal now and 19 MPG is a figure that I would sure like to improve apon. Wait until gas hits 3.00 or 3.50 gal and see what your car that only runs on premium is worth. I love to drive , but at some point, it will have to be a smaller car. My wife just got rid of her Audi A4 that only ran on premuim. She now has a diesl Passat that get 30 - 40 MPG. It is not fast from 0 -60 but fast off the line ans has plenty of torque for passing. It is the wave of the future along with hybrid cars. Look at Europe where fuel is very costly. Tell me how many 260 -298 HP cars they have there. I love my G35 and mine will run on regular due to the 260 HP engine. I may start running regular very soon as I have been using mid grade and premium.

Last edited by G35sedanman; 04-13-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by DaveB
I understand what you were saying in your first post. The American way of life for many is to dig yourself into debt and live paycheck to paycheck all the while acting as if you have money. I see it all the time, especially with my friend's who are 29-31 year old professionals. We all make decent money, but most of my friend's (and most young people I know) prefer to spend what they don't have on nice big houses, brand new cars, clothes, expensive electronics, eat out a lot, go to bars a lot, etc and they lack any patientence what so ever when it comes to getting something. They've got to have it now. They think this is the way it's suppose to be because of what they see their parents and others do in the upper class suburbs of Kansas City. Very little saving and investing goes on in their households and I really don't see how that type of spending can go on unless they don't want to retire till they're 67 or later. Oddly, they're the ones bitching about the price of gas too.
Dave--Many people do that and get into debt or lose their house if they lose their job. The key is to find a nice home/area/schools and still have a strongly held mortgage(one that will not foreclose if a job is lost). You have to have patience with all those spending temptations.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
I didnt mean it as any offense. But for the most part, if you bought a G35 and you subscribe to this website, you probably love to drive, especially this particular car. The car is a fun car, and though I dont own one, I do plan on purchasing in a few months after I graduate. I am just saying that since I am going to be spending so much on a car, I dont want to have the fun taken away by an extra $10 at the pump. Even if I go to the pump every 2-3 days. (though i dont drive that much)
You are young and starting out--Have your fun and get that car and pay that gas. I presume you don't have to worry about mortgages, wife, and children--so enjoy. 8-10 years down the line you may have a wife and kids and new expenses and obligations. Be safe, smart--there is a little boy or girl in the future that is "waiting" to hug her financially savvy dad.
Anyway, most of us with families, need to save money (it adds up--especially when they get sick). This is compounded when one parent decides to stay home while they are still not in school. Well, when you get the car--post some pics already.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK...this is one I can't just read on and not say anything. I know gas prices are on the climb almost on the daily basis. However, it is so marginal that it makes no sense to me to park my car that I enjoy driving or to drive it like a little civic just because it is costing me an extra $10 to fill up.

If the little bit extra that is costing you to ENJOY and drive a fun car like ours, then the source of your problem is not the car nor the gas prices. Anybody that is a paycheck away from disaster or a full tank of gas, should examine their personal situation more deeply.

I say drive it, drive it!!!

Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Your OPINION is appreciated. However, who suggested you park your car or drive it like a Civic? Who said anyone was a paycheck away from disaster? Man, one person says they are changing their driving habits and next thing you know you are in financial trouble....

Old 04-13-2005, 12:04 AM
mrb
I have a solution for everyone. Get one of these and move close to work

Old 04-13-2005, 04:35 AM
id put sum rims and fix it up like my G lol TWILIGHT BLUE

Old 04-13-2005, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=6mtpnut]im originally from england too.. $4 a gallon there isnt nice.

You must have been here a while. I landed over here 5 years ago this summer.

Last time we rented a car in England on a trip home we got a Vauxhall Omega (= Cadillac Catera). It was over $100 a tankful.

Yesterday the UK price hit 85.6p, or $1.58, per litre. At 4 to a US gallon that is over $6 a gallon. So for a 20-gallon tank that is $120.

We are still lucky b@stards over here.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
"The American way of life for many is to dig yourself into debt and live paycheck to paycheck all the while acting as if you have money."

That's why I pay MYSELF first. Max out the 453b, IRA, and another $100 a paycheck into savings.

That way, I can burn every single penny I bring home, and still know I'm moving forward, not BACK!

I got my G, a 100hp bike, 2 golf memberships, and make 2 scuba trips to the Caribbean a year, so I spend money. I just make sure to spend it on ME first!

Can't seem to get that through my friends' heads though.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by fotodad
I don't know about you folks, but I have tried a few things to save every drop of gasoline I can. The most dramatic is slowing down to the speed limit. I typically drove at 5-10 over. Not anymore. I also coast when I exit a highway. I don't know if that is saving me much, though. And when I leave from a stop it is a nice and gradual acceleration. No more quick starts for this guy. I'll let you know if I notice a dramatic change.
Well, I learned to drive in the years after the '70's oil embargo, so I was taught to drive in an eficieant(how the heck do you spell that?) manner. Only thing I've done is slow down a little bit on the way home from work at midnight.

Easy starts, coast into stops, etc. Set the cruise at 9.9 MPH over the posted limit 'cause a'int nobody gonna pull you over for less than 10 over the speed limit and it saves a little gas from my lead foot.

When the weather warms up, I'll be riding my motorcycle in every day like I do every summer, so not much change there.

I was in DC for 2 years and rode my bicycle 8 miles into work every night. It was actually faster than driving from VA into DC at 4:30pm PLUS I got a good workout. Can't do that now 'cause I'm 18 miles away and get off at midnight

Old 04-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by RocketsRedGlare
... so I was taught to drive in an eficieant(how the heck do you spell that?) manner.
E-F-F-I-C-I-E-N-T. You did ask.
Originally Posted by RocketsRedGlare
Set the cruise at 9.9 MPH over the posted limit 'cause a'int nobody gonna pull you over for less than 10 over the speed limit...
Don't do that in Texas. I was pulled over and ticketed on Interstate 20 for doing 62 in a 55 about 12 years ago in Arlington, a good-sized city between Dallas and Fort Worth. There were no other violations, warnings, etc. Just red-and-blue lights, license and insurance card, sign here, have a nice day.

There are as*hole cops in the same proportion as there are as*hole accountants, as*hole street sweepers, as*hole waiters and as*hole bagboys. In Texas, we just have more of each.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We all drive (or will be) cars that cost between $30,000 and $40,000. Financed, thats over $500/month. If an extra $10 at the pump is really hurting that much, then you probably bought a car you can't truely afford.
i think i bought a car i truely can't afford.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought a motorcycle a couple days ago. So the G will be sitting in the garage a few more days a week. I figure I'll be saving about $70.00 per month on gas. That equates to about $840.00 per year. Plus the cycle is just as fun to drive (in a different way, of course) as the G! Take that Saudi Arabia!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=garry]
Originally Posted by 6mtpnut
im originally from england too.. $4 a gallon there isnt nice.

You must have been here a while. I landed over here 5 years ago this summer.

Last time we rented a car in England on a trip home we got a Vauxhall Omega (= Cadillac Catera). It was over $100 a tankful.

Yesterday the UK price hit 85.6p, or $1.58, per litre. At 4 to a US gallon that is over $6 a gallon. So for a 20-gallon tank that is $120.

We are still lucky b@stards over here.
I agree we are lucky. I recently purchased a Turbo Diesel(got rid of my wifes car that only used premuim) that gets 30 -38 (EPA) and even better on real hwy crusing. I am averaging 33 MPG combined driving and the car only has 500 miles on it. It will get better after a few thousand miles. If we all had at least one fuel efficient vehicle, I think Gas prices migh drop somewhat . On the other hand, Saudi Arabia would most likely have OPEC cut production. I think we should use our own oil, stimulate jobs in the United States and keep some money here to reduce the defecit. I am still thinking of selling the G and getting another diesel Passat or a new diesel Jetta when it hits the U.S. shores.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:33 AM
I am fortunate enough to have an employer funded gas card, so, um........no. That said, I don't drive nearly as fast and/or as agressively as I did "back in the day".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have You Changed Your Driving Habits Due to the Price of Gas?