G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

those of you who have navi...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those of you who have navi...

1) Have you used any other navigation systems before the infinity. I'm not having much fun with it. It gets me lost more times than it gets me places. In particular when there are two sets of double forks on the highway..one right after the other...the system doesnt seem to realize whats going on...

2) Do you have auto re rout off or on?

3) I did the hold down D/N and MAP to get into configuration mode...but it doesnt seem to really do anything after it scans the system. Any other hidden functions I should know of?

4) In that configuration mode there is a setting to calibrate speed...can someone explain what exactly that is and how it works.

Sorry for the long post...thank you all in advance.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Well I have my auto reroute on, and it works fine. I had previously in my Acura Cl the stock navi, touchscreen(loved it) the icons on the map even had the label of each gas station like a little icon. The best part was you can program it WHILE moving. Had to do the MOD for the G. As for your #3 question, someone else will have to answer that

Old 04-12-2005, 07:29 PM
what does "the mod" involve....got a link? is it easy? I do hate the fact that my g/f cant program it while we drive...

Old 04-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by KEVIN97A4
what does "the mod" involve....got a link? is it easy? I do hate the fact that my g/f cant program it while we drive...
Got this from Fresh alloy....the link I used to have doesnt work for some reason after the forum was updated.
Take off the glove box, then find the 3 multiwire plugs that plug into the back of the DVD Rom. Remove the one farthest toward the passenger side. It will have a white/Green wire there. Cut that wire and put some wire on each end of the cut wire. Run thes 2 new wires to a switch. When you want to program while driving, just flip the switch, program away, then flip the switch back. While the switch is off, it will lose you position on the road, since the car will think you are no longer moving, but as soon as you turn it back on it will find you again right away.

I used the swiitch that was already in the glove box (coupe only I think) the switch that turns off the trunk switch. I mean, why would I ever want to turn off the trunk switch, I will never have my car valeted, and that is the only reason it is there. So mine still looks totally factory, and the switch is factory and hidden in the glove box.

When you interrupt the VSS, the navi system will not track your car until the satellite updates your position.

With the VSS giving input, the satellite is not neccesarily needed, but rather used to confirm position. Takes less than 40 minutes

Old 04-13-2005, 04:25 AM
Thank you BlackGSedaN1027

the info you gave is helpfull
im gonna have to do the navi mod also but if i do use the trunk botton i dont think it would work since my car is 03 and it has da trunk handle ill just put another botton in der sumplace

Old 04-13-2005, 11:37 AM
raises all-in
Not being able to program a new destination while moving is a GOOD thing IMO. Imagine all the idiots out there who could potentially cause accidents because their eyes are focused on the nav screen instead of the road.

Is it really that much effort to pull over to the side of the road?

Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by dirrtybear
Not being able to program a new destination while moving is a GOOD thing IMO. Imagine all the idiots out there who could potentially cause accidents because their eyes are focused on the nav screen instead of the road.

Is it really that much effort to pull over to the side of the road?
True, however here in Miami there are many roads where you can't pull over, thus the function of this MOD is greatly helpful. I don't want to start counting the idiots that DON'T even have navi and still drive like crap. Besides, if they own let's say an Acura CL or TL with navi(which you can program while moving), then what? I think if you're an idiot from the getgo, you'll still be an idiot with or w/o being able to program the navi while driving. Plus usually people, especially on this forum, have the PASSENGER program the navi while the driver is driving.

Last edited by BlackGSedaN1027; 04-13-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by NG35S
Thank you BlackGSedaN1027

the info you gave is helpfull
im gonna have to do the navi mod also but if i do use the trunk botton i dont think it would work since my car is 03 and it has da trunk handle ill just put another botton in der sumplace
No problem, anytime. And this is to be used only by the passenger while driving....DISCLAIMER...

Old 04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=KEVIN97A4]1) Have you used any other navigation systems before the infinity. I'm not having much fun with it. It gets me lost more times than it gets me places. In particular when there are two sets of double forks on the highway..one right after the other...the system doesnt seem to realize whats going on...
I have used a lexus navigation system and being that the one I used was touch screen, I can operate it much quicker. The downfall of the lexus navi I used was that it had no color nor as many icons compared to the Infiniti navi. When getting directions from my navi, it had inputted a wrong location more times than one. You have to watch out for construction areas because it will not recognize it as well. Although my navi is still helpful in terms of knowing which freeways, streets, and such are ahead of me.

2) Do you have auto re rout off or on? I have it on.

Old 04-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by KEVIN97A4
1) Have you used any other navigation systems before the infinity. I'm not having much fun with it. It gets me lost more times than it gets me places. In particular when there are two sets of double forks on the highway..one right after the other...the system doesnt seem to realize whats going on...

2) Do you have auto re rout off or on?

3) I did the hold down D/N and MAP to get into configuration mode...but it doesnt seem to really do anything after it scans the system. Any other hidden functions I should know of?

4) In that configuration mode there is a setting to calibrate speed...can someone explain what exactly that is and how it works.

Sorry for the long post...thank you all in advance.
Here's my $0.02:

1) My nav has gotten me lost more times that I can remember too. However, I have to admit that most, if not all, of the times are due to driver/user error. There have been times where I did not trust my nav because I thought I knew better. I was wrong and took a wrong turn. I think the key is to just trust the nav system and look for visual cues (i.e. street names) when your nav system tells you a turn is coming up. I have noticed though that the system can sometimes be a little slow in updating the car's position. This can affect navigation, when coming up to forks or off-ramps, by showing your position incorrectly. I have also noticed, on more than one occassion, that the voice prompts have told me to turn one way when the map indicates I should turn the opposite way. Trust the map, not the voice.

2) It really makes no sense to use nav without auto-routing enabled. The whole idea is that nav will guide you to your destination even if you go off-route. "Guide" is the keyword though. Don't always expect the nav system to get to from door to door. Just use it guide you to the vicinity of your destination. GPS accuracy is not down to the inch. There is some error. However, it should get you within visual range of your destination. This is not really dependent on the nav system but the map database being used.

The nav system is only as good as its data and there aren't that may map data providers (most get their data from local sources such as city planners and engineers). I have similar issues with my handheld Garmin GPS receiver as I do with my in-car system.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fireball
Here's my $0.02:

1) My nav has gotten me lost more times that I can remember too. However, I have to admit that most, if not all, of the times are due to driver/user error. There have been times where I did not trust my nav because I thought I knew better. I was wrong and took a wrong turn. I think the key is to just trust the nav system and look for visual cues (i.e. street names) when your nav system tells you a turn is coming up. I have noticed though that the system can sometimes be a little slow in updating the car's position. This can affect navigation, when coming up to forks or off-ramps, by showing your position incorrectly. I have also noticed, on more than one occassion, that the voice prompts have told me to turn one way when the map indicates I should turn the opposite way. Trust the map, not the voice.

2) It really makes no sense to use nav without auto-routing enabled. The whole idea is that nav will guide you to your destination even if you go off-route. "Guide" is the keyword though. Don't always expect the nav system to get to from door to door. Just use it guide you to the vicinity of your destination. GPS accuracy is not down to the inch. There is some error. However, it should get you within visual range of your destination. This is not really dependent on the nav system but the map database being used.

The nav system is only as good as its data and there aren't that may map data providers (most get their data from local sources such as city planners and engineers). I have similar issues with my handheld Garmin GPS receiver as I do with my in-car system.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Nicely put there..

Old 04-13-2005, 06:14 PM
1. First of all I muted Bitchen Betty. (voice mode)

2. I use auto re-route because I usually want to take a route other than what the Nav calculates. Eventually though it will re-route it's self and eventually it will start thinking my way.

One of my biggest complaints is that it doesn't calculate a route very well, it will take you down many back roads with numerous turns and stop signs, this may be the shortest distance but it takes longer, and yes I do select shortest time when I select a destination.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:31 PM
I use the auto-route and dont have any problems.

I also have the VSS hack and love it. In Southern CA, while traveling on the freeway, yes it is a pain to pull over to input an addy. Now the wifey or the kids pop the glove box, flock the switch, enter the info and voila!

I do find that the shortest distance tends to take me on a neighborhood tour that I find quite interesting...when I have time to blow. Shortest time is usually our routing of choice.

Never had any in-car navi before (just handheld garmand's) and I really do appreciate this system. Just wish it were touch screen and held more than the last 5 cities for faster entry.

_T