G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Steering Wheel Controls - just me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrb
Comparing Acura with Infiniti as far as build quality and ergos, you are screwed I'm coming from Honda/Acura for the last decade (3 Hondas, 1 Acura) and I notice this little stuff as well. It ain't no TL. But Honda is a very defensive, safe, company. They rarely do anything first anymore or take any big chances. If they'd make a TL Coupe that was RWD, and the focus was on performance (not an inline 4) I'd be on that bandwagon like a spanked ***! They only have 1 RWD V6 performance car in their lineup, and it's way overpriced and the redesign is way overdue! Nissan is more of a driver's car, whereas Honda is more of an overall type thing. I will miss getting all the **** sans Navi without having to add them on as pricey options.

Honda is too conservative. Good product, but boring. By the way, Motor Trend ragged on the TL's interior in their long-term test a few issues back because the interior was wearing and looking old fast.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Looks like it`s just you! I like it.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Out of many - one people
I think the controls are perfect, just would like a mute buttom.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by rupdog326
I think the controls are perfect, just would like a mute buttom.
Just turn it off with the steering wheel button

Old 04-14-2005, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shodog
Just turn it off with the steering wheel button
Yeah, the power button works just as well as a mute button, duh!

Old 04-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Yeah, the power button works just as well as a mute button, duh!
I don't know if you're being facetious or not..

But I disagree. Depowering the cd player needlessly... Stupid design. My 11 year old car has 2x as good radio controls.

That being said - this is the car I'm going to buy - it's just that steering wheel radio controls are particularly important to me as a safety feature.

And mute is important b/c there are times when you need to concentrate and hitting mute is a lot easier than turning the volume all the way down....

Old 04-14-2005, 07:34 PM
What is the harm of powering down the radio? It picks up right where it left off. the power button on the steering wheel has a little nub on it so it's easy to discern that button from others without having to look.

Old 04-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Mute is instantaneous, both on and off

Old 04-14-2005, 09:52 PM
raises all-in
Is this guy for real?

Press the volume control down for a couple seconds. There's your mute.

Oh, and what about the homelink controls? Yeah, those aren't instantaneous either. You gotta hold 'em down for a second.

Don't forget about the memory seat controls...you can't use them when the car is in motion! And guess what...you gotta hold them down for a second too.

Just forget it, this car's just not a good match for someone of your standards.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Um yes I'm for real.

I'm not the one who brought up mute - I simply am completely agreeing with the person who did bring it up.

What frustrates me is when you have such a damn perfect car - and then some of the details are totally screwed up compared to competition. There are few such details though. The steering wheel controls, in my opinion, is one of them.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by DingoNY
Um yes I'm for real.

I'm not the one who brought up mute - I simply am completely agreeing with the person who did bring it up.

What frustrates me is when you have such a damn perfect car - and then some of the details are totally screwed up compared to competition. There are few such details though. The steering wheel controls, in my opinion, is one of them.
The problem is that there will never be a perfect car becuase you can't please everyone. Case in point is your dislike for the steering wheel controls while other don't mind them or actually like them.

what is your definition of a perfect steering wheel control switch?

Old 04-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I was really torn between TL and G Coupe. In the end I went with the G. The reasons?

TL For:
Fabulous Audio (DVD)
Bluetooth
Voice activated navi (gimic, I know, but my Mrs calls me Inspector Gadget cos I love this ****).
Bigger (esp in the back)
Sensible (also a minus)
(BTW steering controls never entered my mind cos they are never how I would have implemented them)

TL Against:
Square.
FWD.
Too lollopy.
Compromize design - make a sporty car appeal to aspirational drivers.

G35 Coupe:
Drive it. No comparison. RWD and almost perfect balance (although a little weight reduction would have been good)
Build quality: Streets ahead. This is Nissan's Japanese sports flagship rebadged for the US.
Styling: TL is the next generation US Accord launched early at a premium. Next generation Accord will probably look a lot like this and perform like this. G is just a sweetie to look at. No risk of a Primera or anything else normal looking like this at the next facelift.

Having said that, both fab cars. I'd have been happy as Larry with the TL but the driver in me took the G.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by shodog
The problem is that there will never be a perfect car becuase you can't please everyone. Case in point is your dislike for the steering wheel controls while other don't mind them or actually like them.

what is your definition of a perfect steering wheel control switch?
Notice he doesn't describe the ideal steering controls...I personally love em by the way...the volume and power button serve as great "mutes".

Why have a mute button...just more steering wheel clutter.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:06 AM
I like my g/f's Grand Cherokee contols better than my G.

The cruise buttons are on the front under your thumbs. The radio controls are on the back under your fingertips.

Much mo better.

Old 04-15-2005, 03:11 AM
The radio controls will become second nature, So don't sweat it too much.

When the G35 was released, there were complaints about how the power button on the radio itself was on the passenger side of the dash. The reason I believe is that it is set up for RHD (Japan) vehicles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls - just me?