G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Waxing a brand new G35. I called the dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing a brand new G35. I called the dealer

and told him not to wax my soon to arrive G35 during prep as I wanted to give the paint some time to cure. He said that is no longer applicable as these cars have water based paint that can be waxed immediately. He said they use an Infiniti approve product during prep and not to worry. Is this true? Was the advice to let paint cure before waxing applicable only to non water based paints?

Old 04-22-2005, 08:38 AM
you will be fine....just let them wax it..

Old 04-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Do not have the dealer wax your car.. Unless you want swirls marks.. The "make ready" people are not pros.. Ask them to do the required "acid bath". This will remove and loosen dirt/rail rust. How do you know if your car is "clean" ? Get the pastic from a cigerette (sorry about the spelling) pack , put it over your finger and gentle touch your car. It should be smooth to the touch, if not have them do the acid bath,clay, and sealant.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverII
you will be fine....just let them wax it..
Besides, these cars are built in Japan, so they are over two months old already when they get here!

Old 04-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Letting them wax it is safe from a paint standpoint, but I wouldn't trust them from a quality of work standpoint.

When I took delivery, I didn't even let them take the window sticker out of the car or unwrap the floormats. They didn't wash it, vaccuum it, touch the interior, nothing.

They thought I was crazy.

I don't trust them to do quality work. To some of those guys it's 'just another car...' Not the guys I want touching my ride.

Old 04-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Every dealer is different. I bought my black sedan at night, but had them bring it into the service bay under the lights and I looked it over for about 20 minutes before signing the papers. It was virtually flawless, they did a fine job prepping that car. Even so, the next day I did the Dawn dishsoap strip, and then the whole Zaino Z1, Z5, Z2 method. Took 2 days to do back before the ZFX cure, but worth it. Evrery 6 months after that. 2 1/2 years later, the paint still looks almost new except for some small rock chips up front. If I was to go back, I would have installed the clear guard on the front.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Paints do need about 60-90 days to cure, but that applies more to body shop work. Paint from the factory has been baked adequately to speed up the curing process. If the car just came from the body shop, I'd say don't wax for at least 90 days, but since the car is new, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't let the paint cure, what ends up happening is the paint may cloud the clear coat because it can volatize.

If it was me and I was buying a new car, I'd tell them I'll clean up the car myself, especially if it's a black car.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Paints do need about 60-90 days to cure, but that applies more to body shop work. Paint from the factory has been baked adequately to speed up the curing process. If the car just came from the body shop, I'd say don't wax for at least 90 days, but since the car is new, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't let the paint cure, what ends up happening is the paint may cloud the clear coat because it can volatize.

If it was me and I was buying a new car, I'd tell them I'll clean up the car myself, especially if it's a black car.
Is there any truth to the statement that because the paint is water based and as a result doesn't need to cure?

Old 04-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Corgidog
Is there any truth to the statement that because the paint is water based and as a result doesn't need to cure?
Just because it's water-based doesn't mean there aren't volatile compounds in the paint that need to volatize out. The water-based paints dry quicker, but don't mistake them for water-based house paint. Automotive paint/clear coat is still very hazardous and full of petroluem materials. Also, don't forget what we're really talking about here is the clear coat layer. If you wax the clear coat, it can potentially lock in the volatiles from the uncured paint. Like I said before though, factory paint is heat-cured. Also, these cars spend over 45 days iin transit. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:10 PM
what do you guys think is the best wax to use on my new g35?

Old 04-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Guys here rant about Zaino.

I personally use Mother's Pure Carnuba over the top of my favorite polish.

When I took delivery, I used Mother's Sealer Glaze (1 coat) and then laid on Mother's Pure Carnuba (2 coats). I've since added a third coat.

Dust won't even stand on my car LOL.

Old 04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zaino. Best stuff I ever used. As far as dealer wax jobs go, my dealer actually did a nice job on the car when I picked it up. They delivered it inside under intense lights. Making it easy to see any flaws. The car was perfect. After I got it home, I waited until the weather got nicer and I did the Zaino treatment. Zaino makes the car look shinier than when it is wet.

Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by RichK
Zaino. Best stuff I ever used. As far as dealer wax jobs go, my dealer actually did a nice job on the car when I picked it up. They delivered it inside under intense lights. Making it easy to see any flaws. The car was perfect. After I got it home, I waited until the weather got nicer and I did the Zaino treatment. Zaino makes the car look shinier than when it is wet.
True. Heres my black G after a Z2 coating. And this picture is not even high res due to the download size restriction.

Attached Thumbnails Waxing a brand new G35.  I called the dealer-mirror5.jpg  
Old 05-09-2005, 01:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will get my car by the end of this month... I currently have a silver which I let them detail 1nce (when they delivered it), but now Im getting a black one and I am considering telling them to give me the car with the stickers wraps and everything as to avoid swirls... I want to wash myself, but I am affraid to find some scratches and be pieced!

Old 05-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I don't think there was much left to cure by the time you got it. Douglas prepped mine and I've had no swirl marks. After buying in October, I did no additional waxing until about a month ago when I started the Zaino cycle. I did it as directed over many hours and gave it 3 coats in 2 days (and a 4th on the hood and trunk). I did another 1 full and 1 trunk and hood coat this weekend. It looks OK, but I am disappointed that it doesn't look terrific after all that work (and the stuff is expensive).

I may give it some more coats, until I run out of polish (actually not much left).

I'm using the Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner products. They leave a smell that is sort of like leather. The previous stuff I used on my last car took away all the leather smell. (I think it was Meguir's).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Waxing a brand new G35. I called the dealer