G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

starting car w/intel key?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting car w/intel key?

Hey -

I'm looking at buying a g35 sedan in the near future and the intelligent key looks really cool. However, one thing that isn't clear in the brochure or on the web site is how the car is started with the intelligent key. In the interior pictures, it seems like there is a slot for a key, not a push button which is what I would expect. It's hard to make out in the pictures. How does it work?

Also if anyone had pictures of the unlock buttons on the exterior door handles that would rock. Is there one on the trunk?

Thanks
Andrew

Old 05-02-2005, 01:42 AM
It's Pretty Slick ...

Hey Andrew ...

The i-Key ignition switch is actually that … a black **** that you turn as you would a regular key switch.

When you initially fire up the engine, a green “Key” light briefly flashes on the dash indicating that your i-Key FOB has been detected. Just keep turning the **** and the engine starts.

In the center of the **** is a slot in which you can also insert a key.

The cool part is that tucked neatly inside the i-Key FOB is a small key that can be used should the FOB fail.

You also get one of those plastic credit-card type keys, as well as a regular valet-key. All of these can be inserted in to the ignition **** to start the engine just as with any regular key-start vehicle.

The owners manual says that the i-Key FOB battery should last about 2 years. But even if it dies at an in opportune time, you can still unlock the doors and start the G.

And then adjacent to each exterior front door handle … as well as to the bottom left of the trunk … is a small black button. If you have the i-Key FOB on you, then simply push the button to unlock the door(s) or the trunk. And the button can also be used to lock the doors.

I took some buddies out to lunch today and they “made me” demonstrate the whole unlock-engine start sequence a couple of times. Needless to say it really impressed them.

I forgot my camera at the office Friday night … so I don’t have it here to take a pix for you. Will try to do so tomorrow.

Cheers ..... Mike

Old 05-02-2005, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The credit card key will open the doors, but it will not start the engine. It doesn't have the transponder chip inside it.

The valet key will start the engine, but won't unlock the glove box (which has the button to disable the trunk release near the steering wheel). Note that the remote (maybe you i-Key guys don't get one of these, not sure) will still release the trunk with the switch turned off.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:14 AM
Banned
are the intellikeys available on 6mt's also??

Old 05-02-2005, 07:32 AM
The credit card key will start the car. You simply hold the card by the ignition switch as you turn it. The transponder is in the card.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Note that the trunk button is not black, but the color of the car. Pushing the button opens the trunk if the doors are unlocked or if locked and you have the intellikey with you.

Here is a picture of mine (Lakeshore Slate).

Attached Thumbnails starting car w/intel key?-trunkbutton.jpg  
Old 05-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by theop
Note that the trunk button is not black, but the color of the car. Pushing the button opens the trunk if the doors are unlocked or if locked and you have the intellikey with you.

Here is a picture of mine (Lakeshore Slate).
Yup, yup ... that's right. My mistake. The trunk-button is body colored. It's DG on mine.

So many facts about the G ... so little gray matter left

Old 05-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I Think So ...

Originally Posted by GRider35c
are the intellikeys available on 6mt's also??
If I'm reading the G Option list on the Infiniti website correctly ... it's available with the manual tranny on the sedan.

It's part of Premium Package B ... which says it's for the G with the Sports Tuned Suspension ... and that comes standard on the 6mt.

So I guess the answer is yes.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by RichK
The credit card key will start the car. You simply hold the card by the ignition switch as you turn it. The transponder is in the card.
I'd be hesitant to do this. I just picked my car up this weekend, and was informed that I should absolutely never stick the CC key in the ignition, as this will apparently cause the car to void ALL the keys.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Mike995134
If I'm reading the G Option list on the Infiniti website correctly ... it's available with the manual tranny on the sedan.

It's part of Premium Package B ... which says it's for the G with the Sports Tuned Suspension ... and that comes standard on the 6mt.

So I guess the answer is yes.
Actually it isn't. The 6MT is different from the G w/ Sport Suspension.

My guess is that the ignition system is somehow different in the 6MT.

~ Mike

Old 05-02-2005, 12:03 PM
The credit card key will NOT start the car. Its just a metal key, with no chip. There is no transponder in the card holder. If fact as I hold mine it states: "NOTICE This key will only unlock the doors and CANNOT be used to start the vehicle". In fact if you stick it in the ignition and turn it, it will lock out all keys until you reboot the system.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mhollinger
Actually it isn't. The 6MT is different from the G w/ Sport Suspension.

My guess is that the ignition system is somehow different in the 6MT.

~ Mike
thanks for clarifying Mike! i guess its due to the clutch (ya gotta push the clutch in to start the car...)

Old 05-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Calypsi
The credit card key will NOT start the car. Its just a metal key, with no chip. There is no transponder in the card holder. If fact as I hold mine it states: "NOTICE This key will only unlock the doors and CANNOT be used to start the vehicle". In fact if you stick it in the ignition and turn it, it will lock out all keys until you reboot the system.
In another thread last week I reported my experience in doing this (to see how a remote start setup might work). The wallet key turned the engine over, but did not start it (even though I held the master key nest to it). Then the master key did not start it (I was only a little worried! The dealer had told me not to do this when I picked up the car) until I set the alarm and re-opened the car. Things were then fine. This may be to shut the car down if a thief tries to start it with anything other than a transponder key.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:16 PM
ive seen the key on infiniti's website, but can one upgrade their OEM remote to this one?? i have an 04.5 G35coupe!!

Old 05-02-2005, 03:24 PM
I think it would be impossible (ie cheaper to buy an 05!) to do this. The electronics are integrated with the system. We don't have the right door handles and we have no trunk release button (They're not drilling in to my DG skin!). The ignition key module is wrong. etc. Just think of it as fewer batteries to buy-until you get the next car that has it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: starting car w/intel key?