G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Am I getting taken? Doc and Reg Fees!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I getting taken? Doc and Reg Fees!

I think I am getting taken for a ride. I was able to negotiate 300 over invoice for a 2005 6mt sedan. But when I got the contract the dealer wanted $199 for doc fees and $332 for reg fees in NJ.

When I bought my coupe last year (different dealer) these combined fees were $260.

What do you think. Is this a way the dealer is trying to squeeze more money out of me?

In addition, they want $650.00 to install Sirius Radio.

Please tell me what you think.

Thanks,

Old 05-05-2005, 07:25 AM
NJ now has a long term reg which I believe is 3 or 4 years... That would be the higher cost... Legally, they are supposed to return the difference from the actual reg fees to what they charge you...

Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 AM
Go to another dealer and check it out.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Call DOT and find out what it costs to register a vehicle in your area for a given period - then compare that to what the dealer is charging. It's a easy thing to find out.

My document fee was $50. Seemed reasonable. On top of a $35K deal I was going to quibble over a $10 spot. My dealer treated me well and threw in some extras that made swallowing a $50 doc fee easier to take.

$199 seems high, but I'm in Texas, you're in Jersy. Stuff costs more in Jersy.

Make the dealer explain what you're getting for your money. If he can't describe it to your satisfaction, then there you go.

As for the install - don't know enough about it to give any reliable advice.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 AM
I paid $35 doc fee on my purchase but a lot more than $300 over invoice. Sounds like you're still getting a good deal with $300 over & $199 doc. If you've got even modest diy skills you can install the radio yourself and save about $300. It's really just a matter of plugging it into the prewired harness, sticking the antenna to the roof (or concealed if you like), and running the antenna wire to the box you just plugged in. Buy the Sirius online from Grubbs, like I did, and save.

Last edited by calejohnson; 05-05-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:55 PM
As infiniti4life said, the registration fee in NJ has gone up because it is a much longer term. You may be able to get a shorter term (I did) by asking the dealer.

Mine may have been a "transfer fee" because I kept my plates. My notes indicate that a straight new registration for 4 years would have been $300. The dealer does have to send you back any excess-I got about $15 back. I was charged a "Documentary fee" of $98 that is printed on the contract-that is money that goes to the dealer, not the state.

What dealer? Did you search this site for information about the dealer. My dealer is Douglas in Summit. They have been very good with my previous Infinitis and have been very good with service (rarely needed other than routine).

Good luck!

Old 05-05-2005, 11:57 PM
BTW, I am not sure what the "Documentary Fee" is supposed to cover, but I do not enjoy (=hate) going to the Motor Vehicle Bureau for any reason, so it is worth something to have the dealer do that stuff.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:01 AM
When my dealer presented me with the paperwork to sign I saw the line that said DOC FEES $499. I told the F & I manager to remove that item from the list because I have no intention of paying the dealership that fee to do their own paperwork. He said that was not possible and every customer pays the charge. I told him to remove it or I walk away from the deal. He hemmed and hawed and called the general manager into the office and I told him the same thing. Remove the charge or I'm outa here. It was removed by raising the allowance of my trade by the same $499.
Why would anyone pay an additional charge to cover the houses' paperwork?

Old 05-06-2005, 10:49 AM
That's what I am saying Steaker, clearly it is way of making up for my otherwise excellent negotiating skills. I will pay the reg fee but give a real hard time on the doc fees. On my last car I paid $69. I won't pay a dollar more this time.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Form or Function
I believe that the license fees have been covered.
The doc fee is a fee that the dealership charges to register your car for you. The dealership often pays a 3rd party service to stand in line at the DMW and handle the paperwork for them (thus, and you too). An old neighbor of mine made really good money doing just that. To me though, that is like going to the dentist for other people. No thanks. My experience is doc fees range out here in CA $ 35-50. Any more and it is a source of revenue for the dealership. I am not sure if it is a fee that is regulated by the state. I doubt it. Now that you know what the fee is for, tell them you will pay no more than $50.
Good job on the $300 over number.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Andy77
As infiniti4life said, the registration fee in NJ has gone up because it is a much longer term. You may be able to get a shorter term (I did) by asking the dealer.

Mine may have been a "transfer fee" because I kept my plates. My notes indicate that a straight new registration for 4 years would have been $300. The dealer does have to send you back any excess-I got about $15 back. I was charged a "Documentary fee" of $98 that is printed on the contract-that is money that goes to the dealer, not the state.

What dealer? Did you search this site for information about the dealer. My dealer is Douglas in Summit. They have been very good with my previous Infinitis and have been very good with service (rarely needed other than routine).

Good luck!
Last week I picked up my 05 from Douglas and paid $98 doc, 342 registration fee which was good for 4 yrs-my plates were all banged up and I wanted to new ones so I didn't go for the $88 transfer fee which was only good for 1 yr reg- and a 7.50 tire fee. Douglas Infiniti is as good as a dealer can get. I dealt with Jamie who was very helpful. I hope their service dept is just as good.

Last edited by Corgidog; 05-06-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2005, 08:35 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
In Jersey the Doc fee is a "glom", a "gimme", a way of making up for $300.00 over tissue (cost), and something that's been around since cars started going for a few hundred over. It originally started off as a fee to help pay for paperwork and has now become a way for dealers to sweeten-up the sh1tty return they get for their money. I know of Honda dealers in No.Carolina getting $400 to $500 Doc.fees These are usually non-negotiable and must be fully itemized on your invoice. As far as MV fees (not the same as Doc. so don't get the two confused) go....dealers are NOT allowed to make ANY profit on motor vehicle charges and must return any change from collected overages. But, yes...NJ dealers are required to charge for 4yrs. reg. in advance....and a $1.50 per wheel "tire fee".....Serious. JBX

Old 05-06-2005, 08:39 PM
^"Douglas Infiniti is as good as a dealer can get."

I agree. I have posted on them in other threads here. I saw a problem yesterday and brought it in today. They told me it wasn't covered under warranty (I am being deliberately vague about the problem to avoid a problem for them) which suprised me. I have been a customer since 1991, except for three years when I had my quite troublesome Audi A4 Quattro, with all service other than 1 oil change done there. So a few minutes later while I was looking at new cars in the showroom and the Service Manager, Gary Darling, walked by (who I've talked to since he was a service writer) and asked how I was, I told him in a friendly tone that I was disappointed that this wasn't covered. He said he'd see what he could do. A few minutes later the problem was fixed without charge (with a possible expense for them). Then I bought a set of wheel looks, so it wasn't a total bust for Douglas.

My salesman for the G was Gil, who was very good. I've talked to Jamie over the years a number of times (when I had been assigned other salespeople) and always found him friendly and helpful.

Building rapport with a good dealer can be helpful.