G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Changing engine oil....help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 08:45 PM
ijk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing engine oil....help

do you have to go to the dealership to get the engine oil changed??? or can you do it yourself???

If it can be done easily, can anyone tell me how?? and what engine oil is recommended for G sedan...???

Old 06-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Changing engine oil....help

You do not have to go to the dealership. You can have it done elsewhere, or do it yourself.

The only tricky part is the 14 screws that hold the large underbody diffuser in place that covers access to the oil pan and oil filter. Other than that, it's like changing the oil in any other car.

The owner's manual recommends 5W30, with an API SJ rating. (Page 10-5 of your Owner's Manual.) Of course, there's the whole mineral oil v. synthetic oil debate -- which you can read plenty about by searching the forums for "synthetic oil."

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 06-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual recommends 5W30 for temperature climates, or 10W30 for those of us with year-round summers.

Change the oil yourself, get a couple of car ramps at AutoZone, and spend an hour, taking your time. Too many horror stories about mistakes at dealers and quick oil change places; lots of peace of mind knowing the job is done correctly.

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 06-03-2003, 03:58 PM
ijk

do you have to change it? or just fill it up????

can anyone tell me how to do it???

is it difficult??

Old 06-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ummm. If you're not sure how to change the oil, I'd suggest a trip to one of the fast oil change places and watch them do a regular car. The only difference is removing the plastic pan. Based on your question, I'd go back to the dealer and pay them to do it.

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 06-03-2003, 10:10 PM

ijk,

I like to see drivers take an interest in the cars they own, educated drivers/owners make for better products from the manufacturers. However, based on your questions, it quite obvious that you're new to this.... and honestly I'm pretty scared for your G.

Please do yourself a HUGE favor and read and search and read and then read some more... the more you know about servicing your car, the better....whether you do it or let the dealer take care of it.

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 06-04-2003, 08:00 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

do you have to change it? or just fill it up????

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, you drain the old oil and fill it up with new oil.

can anyone tell me how to do it???

<hr></blockquote>

Lift the car somehow so you can crawl under it. You can drive it up on ramps, or use a jack and then hold it up with jack stands.

You'll need something to let the oil to drain in to. AutoZone, Advance, Pep Boys, Wal Mart, etc. should have oil drain pans for sale.

The oil plug will be on the engine's oil pan somewhere. Get a wrench or ratchet/socket and loosen it. Make sure your drain pan is already in place. Take out the plug and watch the oil drain.

When it is complete, put the plug back in and find the oil filter. Your oil filter should be changed with every oil change.

AutoZone, etc... should sell filter wrenches. Buy one. Use it to remove the oil filter. Make sure your drain pan is underneath because some oil will drip out of the filter and the hole.

Once the filter is off and the oil has finished dripping into the pan, fill your new filter with new oil and screw it onto the engine block. Tighten it as much as you can with your hand and then use the filter wrench to go another half turn or so.

Now your car is ready for the new oil. Your engine has no oil in it so don't start it. Lower the car and find the oil fill tube. Put in 5 or 6 quarts (whatever the manual says) using a funnel (this too can be purchased at the auto parts store or Wal Mart). Replace the oil fill tube cap and your're done except for the cleaning up.

Do this every three thousand miles.

is it difficult??

<hr></blockquote>

No.

Dave

Old 06-04-2003, 10:27 AM
ijk

lol...i would be scared too if i was my G.......

i think i will just go to the dealership....
thnx for all the info tho...

Old 06-04-2003, 11:10 AM

It's very fulfilling doing these simple maintenance items yourself, and not very hard at all. Do you have any buddies or family that you can learn from? I've been doing ALL my oil changes for the past 14 years, and wouldn't have it any other way.

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 06-04-2003, 11:22 AM

Even a riceboy who knows nothing about cars (sorry for the redundancy) can change his own oil. Just do it.

Dave

Old 06-05-2003, 09:12 AM

ummmm, why was I able to change my own oil without pullin the bellypan. there is a cutout there that the oil drains out relatively cleanly (filter too). I had to wipe up some oil from where the filter first leaked but did NOT have to pull the bellypan.

ilk where you at? If you are in AZ/NM, call me, I will get with you one weekend and show you some basics like that/torque wrenches, etc. you just have to supply a little beer.

If you are not out here in the southwest, I am sure there are other "work-for-beer" members on this site with equivalant or better knowledge

Sean

Better Life thru Chemistry

Old 06-05-2003, 10:51 AM

Ooo, there is a cutout? I haven't looked yet. Maybe it's a new thing they've started doing recently? I should jack up my car and take a peek.

I'm familiar with the work-for-beer ethic. I had the entire A/C system replaced on an 86 Accord for a 12-pack plus the cost of parts (at the discounted price that the auto parts store gave to places like Firestone, even).

Sometimes this phrase is very true: "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 06-05-2003, 11:12 AM

Does that cutout really work? I saw the hole and had a vision of me cleaning lots of oil off of the shield aftewards. However, I installed a fumoto at my last change so I may be able to drain through the hole next change.

Did you change with the car up on ramps? Was there enough room/clearance under there for you to work?

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 06-05-2003, 11:29 AM

kinda tricky: I had the right side up on a jackstand. the oil pan drains fine at any angle, the filter is a little tricky and having the passenger side up on a jackstand helps alot.

yes, you will have to wipe up some oil from inside the bellypan. I used a mirror and my shoplight to see what I had to wipe up. the more you drain out the oil drain, the less will spill from the filter.

it is a good reach up there and you should pull the bellypan off the first time (Nissan likes to gronk their oil filters on at the factory) so you can get a filter wrench up there.

25-30 ftlbs on the drain plug, 1/4 turn past oring engagement on the filter.

Better Life thru Chemistry

Old 06-05-2003, 10:45 PM
ijk

thnx for the offer.....but i live in Florida and i alrady went to the dealer today.....free car wash!! yay.....but it rained afterwards and 3 birds dropped their [censored] on the rear window!!!!!!!!!

n e way.....dang the engine sounds so much smoother at ignition.............i like....i like......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing engine oil....help