G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2005 Noises... Squeak from the dash, rear wind noise, rattles from bass kicks, wind..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Noises... Squeak from the dash, rear wind noise, rattles from bass kicks, wind..

Hey folks, I've had a 2005 Sedan for a couple of weeks, and around 1600 miles.

1. Squeaky dash
In that time, it just recently developed this annoying intermittent squeak from around the clock / temp displays / compass. I *think* its curved rectangular-ish piece that covers the displays. If I press on it, the noises go away.

The noise sounds like foam rubbing against foam, and tends to come from vibration and bumps in the road.

2. Rear wind noise
This sounds like the rear triangular window issue others have reported. I'll go find out tomorrow when I actually sit in the back seat for the 2nd time.

3. Rattles from... driver / passenger front door panels or windows?
With the volume on 15 or so, Bass on -1, Treble on +1, and the CD player playing (for example) Steve McQueen by Sheryl Crow, I get a moderate / soft rattle from the doors (can't figure out from where) when the bass kicks. Any clues? I'm not ghetto blasting here, just enjoying some good driving music.

I'll be taking the car in shortly to have these things looked at while I'm still in town. Aside from the triangle window thing, are any of these known problems?

~ Mike

Old 05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i get rattles from the door panels and the back when the stereo is turned up with moderate bass..sucks!

I'm contemplating taking the car in to the dealer but realistically, what would they do to fix it? You think its fixable?

Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Yeah, same with my 04. The rattles come and go it seems. I'm convinced they change with the weather (intelligent rattles?). I just turn the radio up (the less bass the better). I used to be a real pain about rattles but I've learned to ignore them for the most part unless they're real consistent.

Sometimes I'd rather live with it than having them tear my dash/doors apart.

Last edited by pb35; 05-17-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by mhollinger
With the volume on 15 or so, Bass on -1, Treble on +1, and the CD player playing (for example) Steve McQueen by Sheryl Crow, I get a moderate / soft rattle from the doors (can't figure out from where) when the bass kicks. Any clues? I'm not ghetto blasting here, just enjoying some good driving music.
I forget who made the original post about this, so credit goes to him/her for this tip ... the linkage cables for your door handle/door lock inside the trim are surrounded by a hard plastic sheathing -- when you turn up your music, it's possible that these cables are knocking against each other and/or against the white/clear plastic cover where the cable passes through the inner door skin. I used 1/8" foam tape to isolate the cables from each other and the trim when I did my MB Quart install... no rattles from the door yet.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Noises... Squeak from the dash, rear wind noise, rattles from bass kicks, wind..-img_2575.jpg  
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by woshiagni
I forget who made the original post about this, so credit goes to him/her for this tip ... the linkage cables for your door handle/door lock inside the trim are surrounded by a hard plastic sheathing -- when you turn up your music, it's possible that these cables are knocking against each other and/or against the white/clear plastic cover where the cable passes through the inner door skin. I used 1/8" foam tape to isolate the cables from each other and the trim when I did my MB Quart install... no rattles from the door yet.

Good luck.
I have this problem and will attempt your solution. Great advice - nice information - thanks.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Update...

1. Squeaky dash
In that time, it just recently developed this annoying intermittent squeak from around the clock / temp displays / compass. I *think* its curved rectangular-ish piece that covers the displays. If I press on it, the noises go away.

The noise sounds like foam rubbing against foam, and tends to come from vibration and bumps in the road.

2. Rear wind noise
This sounds like the rear triangular window issue others have reported. I'll go find out tomorrow when I actually sit in the back seat for the 2nd time.

~ Mike
You know what's annoying? I just took the car out for a test to write down all the various little squeaks, clicks, and rattles that I've noticed, and two of the three have disappeared! My guess is that it has to do with the car sitting in the sun for the morning... crud.

Regarding the rear windows: How much give should those have? I was able to move the passenger triangle window about 1/8th of an inch. I'm thinking this is the source of the wind noise...

As for the rattles from the bass and bumps in the road, it sounds almost as if its a series of clicks or a "clatter" rather than a "rattle" coming from both sides of the car. I'm guessing this might be the hard plastic sheaths an earlier poster mentioned... We'll see what Infiniti of Memphis does for me. I need to get my tag, so we've set up an appointment to get these things looked at while I'm up there.

~ Mike

Old 05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wrapped ALL my wires and cables in the door with black felt and fastened the felt with electrical tape on the ends. It looks really good, and does stop a lot of buzzing and rattles. However, you'll solve those and move on to newer ones I've had my car for 15 months now and it's been a constant battle. I have felt padding in my roof liner, under seats, around wires, wrapped around cable terminals...

I think the next thing I'm going to do it a dynomat-equivalent... I'll see how that goes. I've done lots of searching but not found anyone yet that came out and said "OMG! Dynomatted and all my rattles are gone!" ... just nebulous "I think it sounds better / quieter overall" statements.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:00 PM
kei
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

~ Mike
I get this too even when I'm driving. It's more on the top part of the window though. Mines a 2005 Sedan as well and I brought it to the dealer for a fix. It seems they have a TSB for it, forgot the actual # but it said something about cleaning and installing some tape. I'll try to find the service report for the actuall description. Just to let you know though, when I picked the car up and went on the freeway, the noise came back

I doubt there is really a complete fix for this. My 2000 G20 never had this problem .

Old 05-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by kei
I get this too even when I'm driving. It's more on the top part of the window though. Mines a 2005 Sedan as well and I brought it to the dealer for a fix. It seems they have a TSB for it, forgot the actual # but it said something about cleaning and installing some tape. I'll try to find the service report for the actuall description. Just to let you know though, when I picked the car up and went on the freeway, the noise came back

I doubt there is really a complete fix for this. My 2000 G20 never had this problem .
I'd appreciate it if you could find it; I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. It seems to come from... I can't tell where, though yes, it does come from normal driving like yours did.

~ Mike

Old 05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Heres a link

Heres a link to a bunch of TSBs for G35s

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi...i/G35/Body.htm

Old 05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
kei
Originally Posted by Calypsi
Heres a link to a bunch of TSBs for G35s

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi...i/G35/Body.htm
Thanks for the link. mhollinger, sorry it's probably too late but I should have the papers tonight. I was looking through the link and it looks to be like this one even though it's for the 2003.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-050.htm

I'll post again when I get the papers.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 PM
kei
Okay, here is the information on my work order:

FRONT DOORS UPPER AREAS ABOVE GLASS CK&ADV.
CONFIRMED CONCERN, CLEANED, LUBRICATED AND ADD CLOTH TAPE TO
TOP OF GLASS RUBBER MOLDING PER BULLETIN 03-071. OK NOW.

Hope that helps. Just wanted to let you know though that it doesn't fix the problem. The moment I got on the freeway, I started to hear it again. I doubt they have a fix for this

Old 05-19-2005, 08:43 PM
I have a bunch of rattles on my rear deck panel. Anybody remove the rear panel?

Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 PM
I have rear wind noise, but only after eating Taco Bell.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the link, there are a lot of DIY rattle fixes on there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 Noises... Squeak from the dash, rear wind noise, rattles from bass kicks, wind..