G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

2005 Noises... Squeak from the dash, rear wind noise, rattles from bass kicks, wind..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Augy
I have a bunch of rattles on my rear deck panel. Anybody remove the rear panel?

Thats where all my noise is coming from.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rear wind noise is from a bad seal in the triangle window. There has been 5+ of these at my dealership alone. Fixed under warranty.

Old 05-21-2005, 12:55 PM
(This is on my 2005 Sedan, for clarity.)

Well, I got the car back, and here's the work order (slightly paraphrased):

1. Rattle / squeak in dash
A: Could not get problem to occur at this time

2. Rattle / Squeak in driver front door, passenger front door, door sill area
A: Both front door panels and rear package tray rattling. R&R Door panels to insulate and insulate rear package tray

3. air type noise from pass rear window. Small 1/4 window? Speeds around 70 mph
A: Only normal "blow by" heard on test drive

--

So they did the above, which may or may not have improved things, I think. The problem NOW is that the door panel that has the controls for windows, etc. is rattling!

In addition, I still get this intermittent noise that I can't pin down that almost seems to be ear-level.

Hrm. They suggested that I give the car more time to break in, and either the problems will get worse (and easier to diagnose) or they will go away. Either way, the service manager suggested that this will be a better situation to work from.

I AM curious now to know how to reseat that door panel that's started to rattle. I can press my knee against the top edge of it just by the controls and the noise goes away. If I can fix this myself... Time to go figure that out...

I do have to take it back in Monday to have them buff out the swirls in the clearcoat. I'm going to leave the noises alone, and just let them fix the paint job. From now on, I'm taping to the steering wheel a big "DO NOT WASH (but please vacuum)" sign.

When I get down to Austin, we'll see how Infiniti of Austin handles these issues.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Bass rattle is normal!!!????? WTF??????

Kelly Infiniti in Danvers, MA just told me that bass rattles are normal in the G35 sedan front doors. I wish somebody told me I was buying a $35,000 piece of **** ahead of time. It must be that if it's "supposed" to rattle at medium volumes. Do BMWs and Mercedes rattle when people listen to music? This sucks.

Anyone know of an Infiniti dealership in Massachusetts that doesn't think the doors should make as much noise as the speakers???

Old 08-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Now that you've gone and revived my thread, I have an update after two service appointments at two different dealers:

1. Squeaky dash was misdiagnosed. Its still there. I and the technicians both thought it was the piece across the top of the clock. Its now clear to me that its the actual dash about half-way down from the clock.

2. Wind noise: "Normal turbulance."

3. Rattles: Still there, off and on. I was told that these can be a devil to track down, since the car behaves differently depending on whether its hot or cold, transitioning from hot to cold and cold to hot, etc. I have 8 more months and 7,000 miles to figure these out.

4. (NEW ONE) The passenger front window now creaks and produces "ticking and popping" noises as it "settles" into the full-closed position. This is new. The window, when compared to my driver-side window, doesn't quite sound the same when it reaches its full-stopped position. When the driver's window is fully up and I click the "up" button once more, the motors hum softly and nothing moves. The passenger window however moves a fraction of an inch before "settling" and creaking / ticking.

Ah well... things are good otherwise.

Last edited by mhollinger; 08-02-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Banned
Exclamation

In regards to the rattling door panels w/music at louder levels - what I have had success with was to roll up and install towels into the map holders in the doors. This creates pressure against the door panels and thus dampens the vibrations and eliminated the rattles; at least for me. I've also installed a towel between the back deck and the deck-liner which again eliminated the rattles from that area [all are inconspicuous]. Granted I cannot use the map holders, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion - and a cheep fix.

But know that every car is battle against rattles, some more than others. Of all the cars that I've owned, only the two Mazda's turned out to be above average, but not w/out rattles entirely [so the price of the car does not unfortunately equate to a rattle-free ownership experience]. I'm hoping that my G35 fares far better than the complete rattle trap '05 TL I came out of, for I was overwhelmed by the amount of rattles in that car. I only have 120 Mi on it so I'll pass judgment for now...

Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
the towel trick works! i pulled the map pockets away from the door panel and stuffed rolled towels in between the outer map pocket "wall" and the inner door panel "wall". right where they are kind of joined together. i will make a popping/snapping noise when you pull it far enough out, but that's how i did it. stopped the rattles/squeaks right away! you may have to experiment with the thickness of the towels you use. i also have the intermittent creaking at ear level on both sides of the car from time to time.....just play the radio louder. i think they will go away in time though, and they aren't too bad....just irritating. maybe i should have spent 100k for a car...? nah! those suckers rattle and squeak too.....and the payment is a bunch more!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:05 AM
OK I had my 05 in the dealer this weekend for various things, one being the rattle that sounds as if it was coming from the B Pillar. When the mechanic and I sat there for a while trying different songs, it was not the b pillar at least not this rattle but from the door panel. What he did which has quieted down the car a lot is to wrap felt around the door panel clips. He says that the clips with time become lose and since they are going into a round plastic clip, male to female, the rattle begins. By putting this felt it will eliminate most of the rattles. Has for me at least...

Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
I located the source of the door rattle when playing music in my car:

- Play a song that has heavy bass in it. Open the door and put your ear next to the door lock mechanism. Now press your finger against the top corner of the plastic door panel (right where it starts below the handle). The nose is gone! Release pressure - noise is back.
This also explains why the rolled towel trick works - it presses edges of the lower panel aganst the door.

Those of you who have door rattles while playing music, please check if you can stop the noise by doing the same thing that I did.